Connect with us

Health

Ontario coronavirus patient showed mild symptoms on flight

Published

on

OTTAWA —
The first Canadian patient diagnosed with a novel form of coronavirus began showing signs of illness on the plane that brought him back from the disease’s epicentre., Canada’s Chief Public Health officer said Sunday as she stressed the risk of future infection is low.

Dr. Theresa Tam said the man in his 50’s, currently in stable condition in a Toronto hospital, showed mild symptoms on the flight that brought him back to the country from China earlier this week.

Tam said authorities are now working to help track some of his fellow passengers, but said the case demonstrates that the country’s public health protocols are working.

“The patient has been managed with all appropriate infection and prevention control protocols, so the risk of onward spread in Canada is low,” Tam said at a morning news conference. “Nevertheless it would not be unexpected that there will be more cases imported into Canada in the near-term given global travel patterns.”

Tam said the Ontario patient did not report his flu-like symptoms upon first landing in Toronto, but did share his recent stay in Wuhan with first responders when he sought medical help the next day. The man remains in hospital, where Ontario health authorities said he’s being held in a negative-pressure room used to contain airborne illnesses.

Despite her concession that future Canadian cases are expected, Tam said close, prolonged human-to-human contact is usually necessary for the disease to spread.

The news of Canada’s first coronavirus patient comes as authorities around the world grapple with the new type of virus, which originated in China but has since spread to Europe and North America.

There are more than 1,975 cases so far, including three in France and two in the United States.

While 56 people have died of the virus in China — most of the deaths have been older patients — the World Health Organization has not declared the outbreak an international public health emergency.

   This report by the Canadian Press was first published Jan. 26, 2020.

Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Four new COVID-19 cases in Waterloo Region on Wednesday – KitchenerToday.com

Published

on


Region of Waterloo Public Health reported four new cases of the coronavirus on Wednesday morning.

Two are due to community transmission, while the other pair are tied to travel.

So far this week, there have been 12 new cases, and a total of 1,410 since March.

The number of active cases increased by three to 25, with two of those cases currently receiving treatment in hospital.

One more case has also been resolved, improving that total to 1,263.

A total of 119 local deaths have been linked to the virus, but there have been no additional deaths reported since July 17.

Meantime, an outbreak remains active at A.R. Goudie long-term care – a resident tested positive, but no more residents or staff have since it was first declared on August 3.

Here’s the provincial COVID-19 breakdown for Wednesday:

  • 40,289 total cases (95 new)
  • 49 people are being treated in hospital
  • 36,590 resolved cases
  • 2,787 deaths (one new)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Cape Breton's Route 19 brewery closed indefinitely after customer failed to self-isolate – Global News

Published

on


A brewery in Inverness, N.S., says it’s closing until further notice after a customer visited the restaurant on Sunday while failing to self-isolate after travelling to the province.

The Nova Scotia government still requires anyone travelling from outside of the four Atlantic provinces to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival as a precautionary measure against the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Read more:
Nova Scotia reports no new coronavirus cases on Tuesday

Stefan Gagliardi, chief beer officer at the Route 19 Brewing Tap and Grill, told Global News on Wednesday that the brewery will remain closed as a precautionary measure.

“We found out (someone failed to self-isolate) through one of our employees who overheard a conversation elsewhere later on Sunday, and they brought it up to us,” he said over the phone.

Story continues below advertisement

RCMP investigated and confirmed to Global News that they have charged a 38-year-old woman from British Columbia under the province’s Health Protection Act, which carries a $1,000 fine.






2:14
Nova Scotians who work away from home frustrated, confused by self-isolation rules


Nova Scotians who work away from home frustrated, confused by self-isolation rules

Gagliardi said that the Nova Scotia Health Authority has told staff and visitors to Route 19 on Sunday to monitor for symptoms and to go to the 811 website for further direction if symptoms develop.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

The brewery was told it didn’t need to close as it was not a confirmed case of coronavirus, but it still left workers feeling uncertain.

It doesn’t feel good. It’s not a good feeling because our staff didn’t feel safe,” he said.

“As a business and, you know, our staff together, we decided we weren’t willing to take that risk.”

Story continues below advertisement

The facility was thoroughly sanitized on Monday morning but the restaurant will remain closed until further notice.

READ MORE: Coronavirus took their lives. Here’s how their families will remember them

The closure will affect about 30 people including, kitchen and cleaning crews, bartenders, waiters and waitresses, Gagliardi said.

He says that people should follow the health recommendations set out by the province.

“It just affects us in a way that feels a little bit unfair because everybody is trying to do their best,” he said.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

85 additional cases of COVID-19 in Alberta Tuesday, over half of them recorded in the Edmonton zone – Global News

Published

on


Alberta Health officials released the latest numbers of COVID-19 in the province Tuesday, where 85 additional cases and three new deaths were recorded.

Two men in their 70s in the Calgary zone, as well as one woman in her 80s in the North zone, died from COVID-19, although none were in continuing care centres. A total of 216 Albertans have now died due to the novel coronavirus.

The majority of new cases were in the Edmonton zone on Tuesday, with 49 new positives recorded. That number accounts for 57 per cent of Tuesday’s new cases. Edmonton zone also saw 36 new recoveries Tuesday, leaving the total active case numbers in that zone at 401.






4:47
University of Alberta prof debunks COVID-19 mask conspiracies


University of Alberta prof debunks COVID-19 mask conspiracies

In the rest of the province, new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday were much lower: Calgary zone saw nine new cases compared to an additional 50 recoveries. Central zone saw four new cases compared to 60 new recoveries, South zone recorded nine new cases versus 13 recoveries, and North zone had 12 new cases and six new recoveries. There were also two new cases and one new recovery in unknown zones.

Story continues below advertisement

Net active cases in the province are down and now sit at 1,004, that’s 86 less than the day before.

Read more:
No new COVID-19 cases identified at Good Samaritan Southgate since Aug. 2

At Edmonton’s Good Samaritan care centre outbreak, another death was also recorded. Twenty-eight people at the centre have now passed away from COVID-19, although the centre typically announces its deaths ahead of them being officially announced by the province.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

The centre has not recorded any new cases of COVID-19 since Aug. 2, according to officials there.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending