Connect with us

Health

Ontario reports 118 new cases of COVID-19 – ThePeterboroughExaminer.com

Published

on


The number of Ontarians fighting COVID-19 has reached its highest level in three weeks and hospitalizations are creeping up, the latest Ministry of Health statistics show.

With another 118 cases of the virus reported Thursday, up 34 per cent from 88 the previous day, the province has 1,070 residents with active infections — the most since Aug. 7 and well above a low of 891 early this month. At 48, the number of COVID-19 patients in hospital is the highest since Aug. 12.

The cases remain concentrated in Toronto with 36 new infections, 19 in Peel, and Ottawa with 22, while Windsor-Essex increased to 12 and Durham had 10. In the Windsor area, for example, officials said seven of the new cases are close contacts who tested positive, two are agri-farm workers and three remain under investigation.

Medical officers of health in Toronto and Peel warned this week that too many people are ignoring pandemic precautions in their cities, with social gatherings being part of the problem.

Health Minister Christine Elliott said most areas of the province remain in good shape as the province continues in Stage 3 of reopenings and looks ahead to the return of school next month.

“Locally, 28 of Ontario’s 34 public health units are reporting five or fewer cases, with 18 reporting no new cases,” she wrote on Twitter.

Peel has the highest number of active cases of COVID-19 with 254, followed by Toronto with 243 and Ottawa with 177 — all increases from Wednesday. Ministry of Health statistics are based on information submitted by health units at 4 p.m. the previous day.

Most new cases are in people under the age of 40, with 47 of the 118 infections reported Thursday in the 20 to 39 age group and 33 being 19 or younger.

The number of people requiring hospital care for COVID-19 across Ontario increased by five to 48, with the 18 needing intensive care up by three and the highest since Aug. 16. Ten of the patients in ICU are on ventilators, a number that was unchanged from Wednesday.

Hospitalizations remain well within the health system’s capacity, but are climbing with the increased number of active cases.

Labs across Ontario processed 28,625 tests on Wednesday.

Loading…

Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

1 new COVID-19 death, 58 new cases in Ottawa – CBC.ca

Published

on


Ottawa Public Health is reporting 58 new COVID-19 cases Sunday and one new death.

The city’s death toll now stands at 281.  There have been 4,063 cases of COVID-19 recorded in the nation’s capital since the start of the pandemic — and of those, 3,207 are considered resolved, approximately 79 per cent. 

Unlike yesterday, the majority of Sunday’s 58 cases are in people over age 30. 

There are now 575 confirmed active cases in the city, up eight since yesterday and an increase of 90 since the same time last week.

There are also 39 ongoing outbreaks at city institutions like long-term care facilities, child-care centres and schools.

Ontario reports 491 new cases, highest since May

The reports from OPH don’t necessarily reflect how many people tested positive for COVID-19 on the day they’re made public; rather, they indicate the number of new cases OPH is notified of as of 2 p.m. the previous day.

Provincewide, another 491 new cases of COVID-19 were reported Sunday, the highest number since May 2, and two new deaths.

As of 10:30 a.m., there had been 2,839 deaths in Ontario from COVID-19, according to provincial figures.

In western Quebec, meanwhile, health officials have confirmed 14 new cases since yesterday.

The region has had 1,265 cases of COVID-19 and 34 deaths since the pandemic began.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Three employees of Regulars Bar on King Street West test positive for COVID-19 – Toronto Star

Published

on


Three staff at the restaurant Regulars Bar on King St. West have tested positive for COVID-19, according to Toronto Public Health.

The period for the potential exposure for those visiting the bar, 668 King St. W., is between Sept. 13 and Sept. 22, according to TPH’s news release issued Sunday. According to TPH, about 600 people may have visited during that span.

TPH said it has followed up with individuals that have been in close contacts with three employees that tested positive and have been asked to self-isolate for 14 days and get tested. Individuals that have visited Regulars Bar during Sept. 13 and Sept. 22 are considered as low risk, said TPH, but should monitor themselves for symptoms for 14 days after their visit.

Meanwhile, Reyna on King, a restaurant on King Street East, announced via Instagram Sunday that a staffer had tested positive for COVID-19. The employee last worked on Wednesday, Sept. 24. In the post, the restaurant said it will be closing down its doors until further notice and has since cancelled all reservations for the next couple of days.

On Saturday, the city of Toronto said it had shut down three King Street restaurants after COVID-19 violations.

Those restaurants include MARBL, Mexican eatery Caza Mezcal, and sprawling craft-beer purveyor King Taps.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Ontario reports 491 new cases of COVID-19, highest daily increase since early May – CBC.ca

Published

on


Ontario reported that the province had 491 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, the highest number since May 2.

Toronto, Peel Region, Ottawa and York Region led the daily case count, according to Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott.

Elliott said in a tweet that there are 137 new cases in Toronto, 131 in Peel Region, 58 in Ottawa and 58 in York Region.

A full 63 per cent of cases are among people under the age of 40.

The province processed more than 42,500 tests on Saturday.

As of Sunday at 10:30 a.m., a total of 2,839 people in Ontario had died of COVID-19, according to provincial figures.

A total of 112 are hospitalized, a number that is on the rise. On Saturday, the province reported that there were 100 people in hospital. 

Of the people in hospital, the province says 28 are in intensive care units and 16 of them are on ventilators. The number of people on ventilators has increased by one since Saturday.

Ontario has a cumulative total of 49,831 cases, of which 42,796 are marked as resolved. 

Rise in new cases ‘of great concern,’ province says

Ivana Yelich, spokesperson for Ontario Premier Doug Ford, said the provincial government is concerned about the increase in the daily case count.

“The rise in cases continues to be of great concern. That is why our government took action to tighten public health measures on private social gatherings as well as restaurants and bars. It’s important to note that the results of these actions will not be seen immediately,” Yelich said on Sunday.

“It is, however, critical that Ontarians continue to do their part in controlling the spread of COVID-19 by following the rules that are in place,” she added.

“We will continue to monitor the situation very closely and act on the public health advice of the Chief Medical Office of Health and the COVID-19 Command Table.”

The tightening of public health measures to slow the spread of the virus took effect in the last 10 days in Ontario.

Ontario’s bars and restaurants, for example, can no longer serve alcohol after 11 p.m. as of this weekend. Strip clubs have also been closed.

As well, private social gatherings across Ontario are now limited to 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors. That limit was imposed on Sept. 19.

In a separate statement, the Ontario health ministry said it is keeping a close eye on the number of hospitalizations and is continuing to build capacity in the health care system.

“We are in the process of rolling out our comprehensive fall preparedness plan, which includes public health measures to prepare the health system for a second wave of COVID-19,” the health ministry said.

A closed sign is visible in the window of MARBL restaurant in downtown Toronto. Toronto Public Health has ordered three King Street West restaurant, including this one, to close as it seeks to protect the public from the spread of COVID-19. (Robert Krbavac/CBC)

Toronto Public Health closes 3 restaurants

In Toronto, where 1,178 have died of the virus as of Friday, Toronto Public Health (TPH) has temporarily closed three downtown restaurants to protect the public from COVID-19.

MARBL, King Taps and Casa Mezcal received orders on Friday night to close. A fourth is being served with an order.

TPH is notifying staff and patrons of two other establishments, Yonge Street Warehouse and Regulars Bar, this weekend that they may have been exposed to COVID-19. Seven cases are linked to Yonge Street Warehouse, while three cases are linked to Regulars Bar.

Individual protective measures matter, health officer says

On Sunday, Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer, said in a statement that, as of Friday, an average of 1,175 cases were being reported daily across Canada over a seven-day period.

She said labs across Canada continue to test at a high rate, with an average of nearly 70,000 people tested daily last week and 1.4 per cent of these testing positive.

“As we head into another week, we need to be vigilant about rising cases and increasing hospitalizations, particularly in areas where cases are increasing most rapidly,” Tam said.

“Surges in cases, leading to increases in hospitalizations can quickly overwhelm public health and healthcare system resources in localized areas, while increasing the likelihood of spread to more areas.”

People wait in a line for COVID-19 testing in Toronto. Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer, said abs across Canada continue to test at a high rate, with an average of nearly 70,000 people tested daily last week. (Evan Mitsui/CBC)

Tam said every protective measure that Canadians can take matters to lower the overall rate of infection in communities because every person that people encounter brings a “whole network of contacts history with them.”

Reducing the number, duration and closeness of encounters makes a difference, she added.

“The quickest and safest way for Canada to get back on the slow burn is for us all to for us to take every measure during every moment of our day, and always act in a way that can prevent the spread of illness to others,” Tam said.

That means keeping a two metre distance from others outside of individual bubbles, frequent hand washing, wearing a mask where appropriate, limiting the amount of time and number of people in close contact, choosing lower risk settings or situations where public health measures are in place whenever possible.


Still have questions about COVID-19? These CBC News stories will help.

Is another lockdown coming in Ontario? What do we know about the Ford government’s fall plan?

CBC Queen’s Park reporter Mike Crawley obtained a draft copy of the plan

What’s the latest on where I should get tested?

It’s confusing, but here’s an explainer complete with a flow chart

What’s the most recent guidance on mask use?

Reporter Lauren Pelley took a look at what the experts are advising

What should I do about my COVID bubble?

With cases going up, even small gatherings are getting riskier

Who is getting COVID-19?

CBC News crunched the data from across Canada to get the clearest picture possible

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending