Connect with us

Health

Parkview Place to test all residents as more than 40% now infected with COVID-19 – CBC.ca

Published

 on


The for-profit company that owns Parkview Place is ramping up efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19 by bringing in new staff and paying to have every resident tested. 

This comes after Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA) staff entered the residence last weekend for the first time since March and found numerous deficiencies including lack of cleaning, lack of staff knowledge of outbreak protocols and the need for more medical and clinical staff.

Ninety-seven of the home’s 221 residents — 44 per cent — have tested positive for the novel coronavirus since the outbreak began on Sept. 15, based on Parkview’s most recent occupancy figures. 

As of Sunday afternoon, there are 17 reported deaths at Parkview.

Revera says it engaged Dynacare on Friday to test all residents at Parkview Place as part of a pilot project in order to accelerate the testing process and inform efforts to cohort and isolate residents.

Dynacare is the same private lab that’s analyzing some of the swabs for the provincial COVID-19 testing program. 

“We appreciate the support of the WRHA in approving this Revera-funded solution to accelerate testing of our residents,” said Dr. Rhonda Collins, Revera’s chief medical officer who is registered to practice in Ontario. 

Collins said more than 200 residents have been tested to date.

Twenty-six staff members have also tested positive, which is straining Parkview’s ability to deliver resident care.

Call for all staff to be tested

Revera says it is advocating for all-staff surveillance testing in all jurisdictions where it operates over the world.

“In areas of high community spread, this can be a valuable tool in helping us identify asymptomatic carriers early,” said Collins in a written statement.

Collins noted surveillance testing for all long-term care employees initiated by the Government of Ontario this summer identified numerous asymptomatic staff who, had they not been tested, would have unwittingly spread the virus. 

Asymptomatic health care providers are not routinely tested for COVID-19 in Manitoba but they may be offered testing if they have been exposed to a case according to a Health Department spokesperson. 

“Public health has continually revisited its advice on testing as the science develops, especially for vulnerable populations,”  said the spokesperson. “[F]uture decisions on offering asymptomatic testing for staff who have not been exposed to a case will be made based on scientific data.”

Revera said that when the WRHA visited last weekend, the evening staffing fell “short of the target” because an unspecified number of staff were self-isolating due to the virus. 

“Essential care did not suffer during those temporary shortages. All eyes and efforts remain focused on resident care and infection control,” said Collins.

She says staffing levels have stabilized at Parkview this week because some permanent staff who previously tested positive have been cleared to return to work. 

In addition to an onsite pharmacist provided by the WRHA last week, Parkview Place has:

  • added front line and management staff from other Revera locations, with WRHA approval.
  • hired new employees.
  • committed to bringing in agency staff for a number of different roles to support the home’s clinical, recreation and environmental services staff.

Parkview will be able to access staff recruited through last week’s provincial call for staff, which resulted in hiring 11 registered nurses, two health care aides,one respiratory therapist and one physiotherapist, according to a Manitoba Health Department spokesperson.

Manitoba Health did not specify how many, if any, of the new workers went to Parkview Place. Revera did not quantify the total number of staff it added. 

Dedicated on-site physician touted by health minister does not exist

Manitoba Health Minister Cameron Friesen has said there was a dedicated on-site physician at Parkview since mid-October. Revera says it does not have a full-time physician. (David Lipnowski/The Canadian Press)

Revera says the WRHA is sending a dedicated full-time Nurse Practitioner to start working in-person at Parkview Place starting Monday.

This announcement comes a week after Manitoba’s Health Minister Cameron Friesen repeatedly said Parkview now has an on-site physician in multiple interviews with media.

“Everyone is working very, very hard at Parkview Place. We know that we now have a dedicated physician on-site,” said Friesen in a press conference on Oct.16. He repeated the same claim twice the day before when questioned about what the province was doing to curb its deadliest outbreak to date. 

“If by ‘dedicated’ you mean full-time, then the answer is no,” wrote a spokesperson for Revera when asked if Parkview had a dedicated on-site physician 

Revera did say its local medical director, Dr. Bharat Shah, “is completing on-site rounds,” but did not specify when he restarted in-person visits after pausing them due to the pandemic. She said the role of medical director is not a full-time job.

Minister Friesen, who has not held a press conference in more than a week, did not respond to multiple requests for comment about his statements.

Parkview Place located in hot zone

Collins says downtown Winnipeg has more active cases than anywhere else in Manitoba. 

“The level of community spread is a direct predictor of the potential for, and severity of, an outbreak of COVID-19 in long-term care,” said Collins. 

She said staff are grieving the deaths of residents and the pandemic has been incredibly difficult for the people who work in long-term care.

“Everyone at Parkview Place is focused on providing care to residents and stopping the spread of this devastating virus,” Collins said. 

If you have a tip about personal care homes, click here to contact Jill Coubrough.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

More COVID-19 deaths in Manitoba linked to hospital and care home outbreaks – CTV News Winnipeg

Published

 on


WINNIPEG —
The province has reported 12 more Manitobans have died of COVID-19 as of Tuesday, many of which are linked to outbreaks at hospitals and care homes.

For more than a month straight, Dr. Brent Roussin, the chief provincial public health officer, has listed off a growing list of Manitobans who have died of COVID-19 every single day.

Tuesday saw that grim trend continue, as Roussin reported the deaths of 12 more people.

These deaths include:

  • A man in his 60s from the Winnipeg health region and linked to the outbreak at St. Boniface Hospital, Unit E6;
  • A man in his 60s from the Winnipeg health region and linked to the outbreak at Health Science Centre unit A4;
  • A woman in her 60s from the Winnipeg health region and linked to the outbreak at St. Norbert personal care home;
  • A woman in her 60s from the Winnipeg health region;
  • Two men in their 70s from Southern Heath–Santé Sud health region;
  • A woman in her 70s from the Northern health region;
  • A man in his 80s from the Southern Heath–Santé Sud health region and linked to the outbreak at the Villa Youville personal care home;
  • A man in his 80s from the Southern Heath–Santé Sud health region and linked to the outbreak at Oakview Manor;
  • A man in his 80s from the Winnipeg health region and linked to the outbreak at Parkview Place;
  • A man in his 90s from the Prairie Mountain Health region and linked to the outbreak at the Fairview Personal Care Home; and
  • A woman in her 90s from the Southern Heath–Santé Sud health region and linked to the outbreak at the Rest Haven Nursing Home.

Roussin said the province defines COVID-19 deaths as someone who has died and has tested positive for COVID-19 unless health officials can clearly say it was not responsible for the death.

“If COVID-19 was at all related to it, then we would consider that a COVID-related death,” Roussin said.

He said, as an example, if someone died in a car crash and had tested positive for COVID-19 – it would not be counted as a COVID-19 death.

Since March, 248 people have died of COVID-19 in Manitoba.

ACTIVE CASES OF COVID-19 MAY BE LOWER THAN RECOVERIES, ROUSSIN SAYS

These cases bring Manitoba’s total number of cases to 14,558 since March, though the province removed five cases from the total on Tuesday due to a data correction.

The province also reported 280 more people have recovered from COVID-19 as of Tuesday, which brings Manitoba’s total recoveries to 5,633.

The province reported the number of active cases is 8,677, but Roussin said the actual number of active cases might be much lower.

He said if the number excludes those in hospital and accounts for unreported recoveries – which are considered 10 days after symptom onset – then the number of active cases would be 3,363 active cases.

There are now 292 people in hospital due to the virus, including 47 people in intensive care.

MANITOBANS NEED TO BRING THE NUMBERS DOWN, TOP DOCTOR SAYS

“We all know we need to bring these numbers down,” Roussin said, adding the caseloads are straining the health-care system.

“It does require us to limit a lot of things we love to do, but right the message is really clear – we need to stay home as much as possible.”

Roussin said the more people stay home, the fewer contacts each case will have, which will lead to a drop in Manitoba’s surging cases.

He reported 476 new cases of COVID-19, which have pushed Manitoba’s five-day test positivity rate to the highest it has ever been, reaching 14.2 per cent on Tuesday.

The majority of the cases are in the Winnipeg health region, which reported 257 cases of COVID-19 and has a test-positivity rate of 13.9 per cent.

The other cases reported on Tuesday include:

  • 37 cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region;
  • 38 cases in the Northern health region;
  • 33 cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region; and
  • 111 cases in the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region.

This is a developing story. More to come.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Manitoba reports 476 new cases of COVID-19, 12 more deaths – CBC.ca

Published

 on


There are 476 new cases of COVID-19 and 12 more deaths in Manitoba, the province says, bringing the death toll to 248.

“These are Manitobans who are missed and are loved,” said Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin. 

The number of patients in hospital due to the illness has declined slightly to 292, down from 296 yesterday. Active cases in intensive care are also down five to 47.

The five-day provincial test positivity rate ties the record of 14.2 per cent.

Five of the people who died were in the Southern Health region. One of the deaths is someone from the Northern Health Region, and another is from the Prairie Mountain Health region.

Five deaths were in the Winnipeg health region, including two linked to hospital outbreaks.

The province is bolstering its contact tracing capacity using an automated calling system that will expand current monitoring methods, Roussin said.

Previous positive cases will be asked about testing, isolation and other public health guidelines in a question-and-answer format that people can respond to using the phone keypad.

The initial rollout will be focused on checking in with people who tested positive and are at or near the end of their mandated isolation period. There are “a lot” of people that are beyond their incubation period but remain listed in the active case totals, he said, and this should help deal with that backlog.

Despite a slight decline in the number in hospital, Roussin said health-care workers remain overwhelmed by the consistent pressure from high case numbers and people in hospital.

“Our health-care system is being pushed to its capacity,” he said. “Our health-care system can’t sustain levels of cases like this much longer.”

More to come

Read a previous version of this story below:


Manitoba’s top doctor will share the latest update on COVID-19 numbers in the province today after records for daily cases and the number in hospital with the illness were set yesterday.

Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin is expected to hold a news conference at 12:30 p.m. CT.

CBC News will live stream the briefing here and on CBC Gem, Facebook and Twitter.

At a morning news conference, Premier Brian Pallister said 95 tickets were issued last week to people violating current public health orders, as the province ramps up enforcement.

He also shared details about COVID-19 financial support programs for businesses forced to close during recent widespread restrictions.

Both Tuesday news conferences come after a record-breaking 546 cases were announced yesterday. 

Manitoba also reached another grim milestone on Monday, surpassing 14,000 total cases to date, meaning one in 100 Manitobans have contracted the virus.

The number of people in hospital with the illness also surged to a new high of 296, with a record-tying 52 in intensive care. Health officials continue to warn the system is strained and cannot sustain the continued pressures it is facing as cases mount and health-care workers are taken out of rotation due to exposures in hospital settings.

All three records occurred on the same day Roussin shared the first hint that provincewide code red restrictions under Manitoba’s pandemic response system may be working. The number of close contacts of positive cases has declined from about seven a month ago to closer to two more recently, he said.

The code red, or critical, level on the provincial pandemic scale was put in place nearly two weeks ago, ushering in a partial lockdown that closed places of worship, theatres, salons, gyms and a range of other non-essential businesses. 

More stringent restrictions came into effect on Friday, banning private indoor gatherings, with few exceptions, and restricting the sale of non-essential items at businesses permitted to remain open to in-store shopping.

As of yesterday, 236 people had died of COVID-19, with nearly half of those deaths reported this month.

Many of the deaths are linked to care home outbreaks — a quarter of all deaths are tied to two Winnipeg long-term care facilities.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

BC health officials to provide COVID-19 update on Tuesday afternoon | News – Daily Hive

Published

 on


Health officials in British Columbia are scheduled to provide a written update on COVID-19 on Tuesday afternoon.

The announcement comes after 1,933 new test-positive cases were announced between Friday and Monday. During a press conference on Monday, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said there were 713 cases reported from Friday to Saturday, 626 from Saturday to Sunday, and 594 from Sunday to Monday.

There are currently 7,360 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 10,200 people are under active public health monitoring due to identified exposure to known cases.

Additionally, 277 individuals are hospitalized with COVID-19, 59 of whom are in intensive care.

  • See also: 

On Monday, Dr. Henry also clarified the kinds of events that would be suspended under the new COVID-19 health orders.

The new order includes gatherings at hotels, restaurants, bars, movie theatres, and cinemas. Henry added that popular seasonal holiday events are also included.

“I know this means delaying the opening of some very great and well-thought-out seasonal events like the Holiday Train in Stanley Park and the Bouchart Garden Light Display, among many others, that had previously been approved across the province,” she said.

The few exceptions to cancelled events include funerals, weddings, and ceremonies such as baptisms, although those will have “increased restrictions on them.”

Events like City Council meetings and support group meetings have also not been explicitly cancelled, although Henry strongly advised hosting them virtually, if possible.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending