Vancouver police are urging the public to call investigators first — instead of posting on social media — with reports of suspicious activity in Mount Pleasant.
The reminder comes as police investigate suspicious events in Mount Pleasant that were reported in social media posts. The posts allege a man in a silver sedan has been approaching or following women in the Mount Pleasant area, asking to borrow phones or inviting them to approach the vehicle. Other posts allege similar incidents are also taking place in Kitsilano and Burnaby.
The flurry of informal reports has prompted the creation of a neighbourhood safe walk and plenty of action on group chats and social channels, although police say they have no evidence to link any of the reported incidents.
“We want them to call police right away,” Const. Tania Visintin said to anyone who has had a similar experience in recent weeks. “Don’t go to the internet and write it on Twitter, don’t tell your barista or server. Call us so we can investigate.”
“We just want the first thing not to be people going to social media, we want you to call us so we can track these incidents and we can see if they’re all linked.”
Visintin said Monday that a handful of suspicious circumstances had been reported directly to police in the Mount Pleasant area in recent weeks and that investigators are taking them seriously. And while there is an understandable desire for residents to warn others in the community, Visintin notes that unconfirmed social media posts can create a lot of fear.
“If we truly believe that we need to warn the public, we 100 per cent will and that will come from our mouth right away,” she said, noting there is nothing wrong with warning others, but that it’s important to contact police first with information that can help an investigation.
“If anything, we should all get out of this is awareness. We need to remind everyone — men, women and children — to be alert, be aware of your surroundings, know where you are, have your phone on you charged in any kind of situation so this is a good reminder of that.”
Visintin also noted that many of the posts about the recent circumstances are written by individuals on behalf of a friend or are secondary sources, which poses a challenge for investigators who need to speak directly with victims.
Social Media Buzz: Trump Casts Ballot, SpaceX Launch, McBroken – BNN
(Bloomberg) — What’s buzzing on social media this morning:
A mask-wearing President Donald Trump cast his ballot in person in West Palm Beach, Florida, Saturday morning. “I voted for a guy named Trump,” he told reporters.
Brooklyn Museum is trending as people share photos of long lines, hours before early voting started in New York state.
SpaceX is targeting to launch Starlink this morning after delaying it from Oct. 22 to allow more time for mission assurance work. The weather today is 60% favorable, the company said in a tweet. Projected launch time is 11:31 a.m. EDT.
Former Fox News host and Trump loyalist Kimberly Guilfoyle, who was recently accused of sexual harassment, put her Manhattan apartment overlooking Central Park up for sale for about $5 million, Daily Mail reported. The pad, formerly “a taxidermist’s dream,” was transformed by Guilfoyle, who dates Donald Trump Jr., the president’s son.
A McDonald’s fan, who earlier failed to order an ice cream due to an out-of-service machine, created a website called McBroken.com to track which locations’ McFlurry machines are broken. The fast-food chain said it’s “exciting to see customer passion translate into customer-innovated solutions.”
©2020 Bloomberg L.P.
Nunavut politicians vote to remove minister from cabinet over social media post – Lethbridge News Now
Before casting their ballots, some members made statements on the motion.
“It is up to us, everyone in this room, to show our commitment, to stand up against racism and gender violence. Now is that time,” Savikataaq told the assembly.
“Black lives matter. Indigenous lives matter. Women’s rights are human rights.”
Iqaluit-Manirajak MLA Adam Arreak Lightstone, who seconded the motion, thanked Savikataaq for his “swift action” to remove Netser.
“Freedom of expression does not equal freedom from consequence. The fact that the minister is still defending his position leads me to believe that there is no remorse,” Lightstone said.
In his statement, Netser apologized to the Black community but said his comments were not based on racism or gender violence.
“My reference to ‘all lives matter’ was certainly not stated in that context. And I would not have chosen these words if I knew they could be misconstrued as attempting to negate the struggles of my Black brothers and sisters,” Netser said.
Netser also said the Facebook post was an example of free speech.
“I understand that all lives cannot matter, if Black lives don’t matter. But my post on social media was meant to bring light to those without voices, the unborn,” he said.
“I did not make those statements in the house and I did not make them as a member of the executive council, but as an Inuk that values life.”
Netser also read a letter of support into the record from a friend, which questions whether people who criticize the government will be “picked up and shipped into the dark of the night to one of the many new internment camps across Canada.”
The letter also claims the federal government pays Canadian news media and mind control is imposed on people who speak out against the government.
Netsilik MLA Emiliano Qirngnuq told the assembly he would not support the motion to oust Netser because “we do have an expression of freedom” in Canada.
“We have to think about our children and the future of our children. We have to deeply reflect on our society’s values into the future,” Qirngnuq said
Justice Minister Jeannie Ehaloak told the assembly Netser’s comments were concerning. And politicians can’t say whatever they want, if their words have a negative impacts on people.
Speaking to reporters after the vote, Savikataaq said the decision to remove Netser was not easy but had to be made.
Because Nunavut has a consensus-style government, only a full caucus can remove cabinet members.
Netser, who represents Coral Harbour and Naujaat, is to stay on as an MLA.
A leadership forum is expected to take place next week to select Netser’s replacement in cabinet.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 23, 2020.
This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Facebook and Canadian press News Fellowship
Emma Tranter, The Canadian Press
Britain's Prince Charles wrote to support historic Australian PM sacking: media – TheChronicleHerald.ca
SYDNEY (Reuters) – Britain’s Prince Charles sent a hand-written letter of support to Australia’s governor general in 1976, backing his controversial sacking of Prime Minister Gough Whitlam, local media reported on Saturday.
The letter, published on Saturday by The Australian newspaper, is dated four months after Queen Elizabeth’s representative in Australia, John Kerr, took the unprecedented step to dismiss Whitlam without first warning the palace or the prime minister.
“Please don’t lose heart,” the heir to the British throne wrote in the hand-written letter to Kerr on Mar. 27.
“What you did last year was right and the courageous thing to do — and most Australians seemed to endorse your decision when it came to the point.”
The letter was revealed in an extract of a book “The Truth of the Palace Letters: Deceit, Ambush and Dismissal in 1975” by Paul Kelly and Troy Bramston, due to be published next month.
Whitlam’s firing remains one of the country’s most polarising political events because it represented an unmatched level of intervention by the Commonwealth.
Historians say the country was never told the full story behind Whitlam’s removal during a political deadlock over the Budget and in 2016, one historian sued Australia’s National Archives for access to letters between Kerr and the Queen.
In July, the 211 so-called “palace letters” were published, pulling the veil from one of the great mysteries of Australian politics, and re-igniting a conversation about whether the country should cut ties with Britain and become a republic.
(Reporting by Paulina Duran; Editing by Lincoln Feast.)
News Releases | COVID-19 Bulletin #231 – news.gov.mb.ca
NASA spacecraft leaking asteroid samples into space is 'victim of own success' – Euronews
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Saturday – CBC.ca
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Galaxy M31 July 2020 security update brings Glance, a content-driven lockscreen wallpaper service
- Health24 hours ago
Sunnybrook Hospital in Torontno declares outbreak of novel coronavirus in surgical unit – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News
- Tech23 hours ago
These custom plates let you get away from the PS5's white color scheme – Android Authority
- News24 hours ago
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Friday – CBC.ca
- Investment22 hours ago
$7.3M investment signals long future for Wallaceburg hospital – Chatham Daily News
- Art21 hours ago
Revival House mural part of local push for more public-art projects in Stratford – The Beacon Herald
- Art20 hours ago
Rhiannon Giddens on making art during a pandemic, and how music bridges divides – CBC.ca
- Media13 hours ago
Grieving Paradise mother finds strength by writing social media blog – TheChronicleHerald.ca
- Investment23 hours ago
Lone Wolf announces strategic investment from Stone Point Capital to accelerate growth – Canada NewsWire