Connect with us

Tech

Samsung may launch flagship phone early to grab Huawei share – sources – CNA

Published

 on


Samsung Electronics Co Ltd may launch its flagship Galaxy S smartphones more than a month earlier than expected in a bid to grab market share from Huawei and fend off competition from Apple Inc, three sources familiar with the matter said.

FILE PHOTO: The logo of Samsung Electronics is seen at its office building in Seoul, South Korea, July 4, 2017. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji

SEOUL: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd may launch its flagship Galaxy S smartphones more than a month earlier than expected in a bid to grab market share from Huawei and fend off competition from Apple Inc, three sources familiar with the matter said.

Huawei Technologies Co Ltd once challenged Samsung’s top position in the global smartphone market, but the Chinese rival is in survival mode with U.S. restrictions choking off its supplies of chips used in smartphones and telecom equipment.

South Korean chip industry officials hope Joe Biden’s presidency will ease some of those restrictions, although they are far from certain as they also expect the incoming U.S. administration to maintain a tough stance on China.

Samsung is preparing to launch its new Galaxy S21 as early as late January next year, whereas it previously launched its flagship S20 phone in early March this year, the sources said, asking not to be identified because the plan is not public.

Samsung Electronics declined to comment.

The South Korean company shipped 59per cent fewer Galaxy S20 5G series handsets in the United States in the second quarter compared to the previous model’s performance a year earlier, according to research firm Canalys. In contrast, Apple shipped 15per cent more of its flagship iPhone 11 than last year’s best-seller, the iPhone XR.

Samsung, which lost its No.1 position to Huawei in the second quarter, regained the crown in the third thanks in part to the U.S. restrictions on Huawei.

A person at one major supplier of smartphone chips said Huawei’s stockpiles were expected to run out some time early next year.

Samsung, however, faces intensifying competition from Chinese rivals like Xiaomi and Oppo, which are expected to take advantage of Huawei’s struggle to retain market share.

Apple also launched its iPhone series in October, about a month later than usual, stepping up competition.

(Reporting by Hyunjoo Jin and Heekyong Yang; Additional reporting by Stephen Nellis in San Francisco and Joyce Lee; Editing by Stephen Coates)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada – therecord.com

Published

 on


The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada (all times Eastern):

4:16 p.m.

Health officials in Saskatchewan are diverting hundreds more staff to fight COVID-19 as daily cases are forecast to exceed 500 in two weeks.

The Saskatchewan Health Authority expects the number of people in hospital and receiving intensive care could soon double.

Officials are planning for the surge by redeploying 600 health-care staff, which means other health services will be temporarily suspended.

3:57 p.m.

Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister says people who don’t think COVID-19 is real are idiots.

Pallister says he knows he is unpopular in some quarters because of the restrictions his government has imposed on public gatherings and businesses.

But he says the rules are needed to save lives, and everyone needs to work together to reduce the spread of the virus.

3:51 p.m.

Public health officials in Prince Edward Island announced one additional positive case of COVID-19 in the province Thursday.

The individual is a man in his 20s, a rotational worker who recently travelled to P.E.I. from outside of the Atlantic region and has been in self-isolation since arriving.

This case is not related to any of the other recent positive cases of COVID-19 in the province.

P.E.I. currently has five active cases of COVID-19, and there have been 73 positive cases since the onset of the pandemic.

2:40 p.m.

Saskatchewan is announcing 259 new cases of COVID-19 and one additional death.

Health officials say the person who died was in their 80s.

Most of the new infections are located in and around Regina and Saskatoon.

There are 104 people in hospital, with 24 people receiving intensive care.

The seven-day average of new daily cases sits at 269.

1:56 p.m.

Nunavut is reporting five new cases of COVID-19 in Arviat today, bringing the community’s active case count to 68.

All cases in Rankin Inlet have now recovered.

There are seven active cases in Whale Cove.

Nunavut has 75 active cases of COVID-19 and 123 recovered cases.

1:50 p.m.

Public health officials in New Brunswick are reporting six new cases of COVID-19 in the province Thursday.

There is one new case in the Moncton region, three new cases in the Saint John region and two in the Fredericton area.

There are now 111 active cases in the province.

New Brunswick has had a total of 520 cases and seven deaths since the pandemic began.

1:32 p.m.

Manitoba is reporting 367 new COVID-19 cases and 12 additional deaths today.

The province continues to have a high rate of people testing positive — 13 per cent, on average, over the last five days.

1:15 p.m.

The Quebec government is cancelling its plan to allow gatherings over four days at Christmas.

Premier Francois Legault announced today the province will no longer permit multi-household gatherings of up to 10 people between Dec. 24 and 27, as had been planned.

Legault first announced the Christmas plan on Nov. 19, saying people could get together as long as they quarantined for a week before and a week after the holiday period.

But with COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths on the rise and a health system deemed fragile due to a lack of staffing, Legault says it’s not realistic to think the numbers will go down sufficiently by Christmas.

1:12 p.m.

Loading…

Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…

Health Canada’s chief medical adviser, Dr. Supriya Sharma, says she expects to get some final documents from Pfizer on Friday that will provide information on the manufacturing process and which lots of vaccine doses will be sent to Canada.

That is the final thing needed before Canada can approve the vaccine.

Dr. Howard Njoo, the deputy chief public health officer, says he fully expects the decision to be “favourable.”

12:45 p.m.

Moderna’s vaccine is to be delivered to one site in Canada rather than to each province and Canadian logistics will then distribute it to the provinces as required.

12:30 p.m.

Deputy chief public health officer Dr. Howard Njoo says while initial supplies of vaccines will limit vaccinations to three million people, there will eventually be a COVID-19 vaccine for every Canadian.

Pfizer’s vaccine is expected to start being delivered first in January, and will be sent by the manufacturer to predetermined points in each province.

12:05 p.m.

Nova Scotia is reporting 11 new cases of COVID-19 today.

The number of active cases in the province s now stands at 119, that’s down from the 127 cases reported on Wednesday.

Nine of the new cases are in the central health zone, which includes Halifax, while the other two cases are in the northern zone.

The province has had a total of 1,342 cases, while 1,159 are resolved and there have been 65 deaths.

11:12 a.m.

The Quebec government is reporting 1,470 new cases of COVID-19 and 30 additional deaths linked to the pandemic.

Twelve of the deaths occurred in the last 24 hours, while the rest happened earlier.

Hospitalizations declined by three to 737, while the number of people in intensive care remained unchanged at 99.

There have been a total of 146,532 cases and 7,155 deaths in the province since the pandemic began.

11 a.m.

Ontario is reporting 1,824 new cases of COVID-19, and 14 new deaths due to the virus.

Health Minister Christine Elliott says there are 592 new cases in Peel Region, 396 cases in Toronto, and 187 cases in York Region.

The province says it has conducted 52,873 tests since the last daily report.

In total, 666 people are hospitalized in Ontario due to COVID-19, including 195 in intensive care.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec 3, 2020.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada – NewmarketToday.ca

Published

 on


The latest news on COVID-19 developments in Canada (all times Eastern):

2:40 p.m.

Saskatchewan is announcing 259 new cases of COVID-19 and one additional death.

Health officials say the person who died was in their 80s.

Most of the new infections are located in and around Regina and Saskatoon.

There are 104 people in hospital, with 24 people receiving intensive care.

The seven-day average of new daily cases sits at 269.

1:56 p.m.

Nunavut is reporting five new cases of COVID-19 in Arviat today, bringing the community’s active case count to 68.

All cases in Rankin Inlet have now recovered.

There are seven active cases in Whale Cove.

Nunavut has 75 active cases of COVID-19 and 123 recovered cases.

1:50 p.m.

Public health officials in New Brunswick are reporting six new cases of COVID-19 in the province Thursday.

There is one new case in the Moncton region, three new cases in the Saint John region and two in the Fredericton area.

There are now 111 active cases in the province.

New Brunswick has had a total of 520 cases and seven deaths since the pandemic began.

1:32 p.m.

Manitoba is reporting 367 new COVID-19 cases and 12 additional deaths today. 

The province continues to have a high rate of people testing positive — 13 per cent, on average, over the last five days.

1:15 p.m.

The Quebec government is cancelling its plan to allow gatherings over four days at Christmas.

Premier Francois Legault announced today the province will no longer permit multi-household gatherings of up to 10 people between Dec. 24 and 27, as had been planned.

Legault first announced the Christmas plan on Nov. 19, saying people could get together as long as they quarantined for a week before and a week after the holiday period.

But with COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths on the rise and a health system deemed fragile due to a lack of staffing, Legault says it’s not realistic to think the numbers will go down sufficiently by Christmas.

1:12 p.m.

Health Canada’s chief medical adviser, Dr. Supriya Sharma, says she expects to get some final documents from Pfizer on Friday that will provide information on the manufacturing process and which lots of vaccine doses will be sent to Canada.

That is the final thing needed before Canada can approve the vaccine.

Dr. Howard Njoo, the deputy chief public health officer, says he fully expects the decision to be “favourable.”

12:45 p.m.

Moderna’s vaccine is to be delivered to one site in Canada rather than to each province and Canadian logistics will then distribute it to the provinces as required.

12:30 p.m.

Deputy chief public health officer Dr. Howard Njoo says while initial supplies of vaccines will limit vaccinations to three million people, there will eventually be a COVID-19 vaccine for every Canadian.

Pfizer’s vaccine is expected to start being delivered first in January, and will be sent by the manufacturer to predetermined points in each province.

12:05 p.m.

Nova Scotia is reporting 11 new cases of COVID-19 today.

The number of active cases in the province s now stands at 119, that’s down from the 127 cases reported on Wednesday.

Nine of the new cases are in the central health zone, which includes Halifax, while the other two cases are in the northern zone.

The province has had a total of 1,342 cases, while 1,159 are resolved and there have been 65 deaths.

11:12 a.m.

The Quebec government is reporting 1,470 new cases of COVID-19 and 30 additional deaths linked to the pandemic.

Twelve of the deaths occurred in the last 24 hours, while the rest happened earlier.

Hospitalizations declined by three to 737, while the number of people in intensive care remained unchanged at 99.

There have been a total of 146,532 cases and 7,155 deaths in the province since the pandemic began.

11 a.m.

Ontario is reporting 1,824 new cases of COVID-19, and 14 new deaths due to the virus.

Health Minister Christine Elliott says there are 592 new cases in Peel Region, 396 cases in Toronto, and 187 cases in York Region.

The province says it has conducted 52,873 tests since the last daily report.

In total, 666 people are hospitalized in Ontario due to COVID-19, including 195 in intensive care.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec 3, 2020.

The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Five new Covid cases in Arviat; Kivalliq recoveries from virus rise to 123, including all cases in Rankin Inlet – NNSL Media

Published

 on


Although five more Arviat residents have been identified as having Covid-19, the community’s active cases have fallen to 68.

The only other community with active cases is Whale Cove, with seven, as all Rankin Inlet residents who contracted the virus are now considered to be recovered.

All formerly infected individuals in Rankin Inlet are now considered to be recovered from Covid-19, the Department of Health stated Thursday.
Pixabay photo

“While Rankin Inlet has successfully flattened the Covid-19 curve, I ask residents there to remain strict in their commitment to continue on this path and follow the current public health restrictions,” said chief public health officer Dr. Michael Patterson. “Covid-19 is not over in Nunavut. Everyone needs to ensure they do their part to bring us to zero active cases in the territory and remain committed and prepared for a potential resurgence of the virus.”

Contact tracing in all impacted communities is ongoing and public health staff are monitoring everyone in isolation, according to the Department of Health.

As of Dec. 2, 223 tests have been done in Rankin Inlet with negative results.

Arviat testing has yielded 643 negative tests.

Testing in Whale Cove yielded 125 negative tests.

Monitoring in Sanikiluaq continues.

Anyone who has reason to believe they have been exposed to Covid-19 is advised to call the Covid hotline at 1-888-975-8601 between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. EST, or notify their community health centre right away, and immediately isolate at home for 14 days. Please do not go to the health centre in person

Advertisement

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending