Connect with us

Sports

Source: Feds decision on Blue Jays not expected this week – 680 News

Published

 on


Canadians will have to wait a little bit longer to find out if the Toronto Blue Jays will be able to play home games on Canadian soil this summer.

A government source tells 680 NEWS a final decision is not expected this week on the Blue Jays.

This comes after Toronto FC announced Wednesday that it will return to BMO Field on Saturday to host Orlando City SC.

The Public Health Agency still hasn’t made a decision on whether or not the suggestions put forth by the Blue Jays address all health and safety concerns amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

If the agency gives the clubs their blessing, the Immigration Minister still has to review the plans and may discuss them with cabinet before any final decisions are made.

The Blue Jays publicly released their proposal to resume home games by July 30. To make a move happen in time for that date, the Blue Jays would likely need some indication of the government’s decision by Friday.

If they don’t get approval, their next target for a move north is the August 20 start of a seven-game homestand versus the Detroit Tigers and the Chicago White Sox.

“We continue to work with the federal government towards playing games at Rogers Centre starting July 30 and expect to receive a response by Friday,” the Blue Jays said in a statement.

“There are no further updates at this time, but we will share new information as it becomes available.”


RELATED:


The Blue Jays are among the 23 teams above an 85 per cent threshold of vaccination for players, coaches and medical/training staff, and the overall MLB populace is above an 85 per cent rate of vaccination.

As we have reported in the past, vaccination rates for the leagues will be considered in the decision, and the Blue Jays’ proposal is different than the NHL as they are looking for regular season play, with more games and many more teams, players, and staff crossing the border.


With files from Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Pistons select Cade Cunningham with No. 1 overall pick in 2021 NBA Draft – Sportsnet.ca

Published

 on


The Detroit Pistons selected Oklahoma State’s Cade Cunningham with the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft Thursday night.

Cunningham had been widely expected to be the first name called in New York, though Pistons general manager Troy Weaver wouldn’t reveal plans earlier this week and said the team would look at every scenario, including trades.

In the end, Detroit stuck with the 19-year-old mentioned as a potential top pick before ever stepping foot on the Oklahoma State campus.

The 6-foot-8, 220-pound point guard from Arlington, Texas, lived up to expectations with his size and fluid game to become a first-team Associated Press All-American. He averaged 20.1 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.5 assists with a game that allowed him to hit from 3-point range, score off the dribble or find teammates out of traps.

Cunningham — the first player in Oklahoma State history to be picked No. 1 overall — joins a Pistons franchise that has won 20 games for two straight seasons and hasn’t finished better than .500 for five straight years.

Cunningham was the headliner of a class that included scorers, playmakers and potentially elite defenders at the top. That group included Southern California freshman big man Evan Mobley, Gonzaga freshman point guard Jalen Suggs and Florida State freshman forward Scottie Barnes.

There are also a pair of preps-to-pros prospects in guard Jalen Green and forward Jonathan Kuminga, both of whom bypassed college basketball to play in the G League.

The draft is later than its traditional late-June slot for the second straight year due to the COVID-19 pandemic that interrupted the 2019-20 season. The 2021-22 season is scheduled to return to its normal schedule, with next year’s draft set for June again.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

NBA Draft 2021: Toronto Raptors select Scottie Barnes with the 4th overall pick – RaptorsHQ

Published

 on


The Raptors have upended consensus in the 2021 NBA Draft, opting to select Florida State forward Scottie Barnes with the fourth overall pick. To say this was a complete shock is not entirely true — there was buzz the Raptors were at least somewhat intrigued by Barnes’ potential — but it also felt like Toronto would not take the gamble (e.g. it felt like Jalen Suggs at no. 4 was a lock).

[embedded content]

Barnes joins the Raptors just before his 20th birthday. He’s listed at 6’9” and 227 pounds, which puts him in the small forward category, by my math. Barnes spent one season at Florida State during which he averaged 10.3 points, 4.1 assists, and 4.0 rebounds per game across 24 contests. Admittedly, the numbers don’t exactly pop — Barnes only started seven games — but Toronto must love his potential.

Said potential is what our guy JD got at in his column here. Barnes has serious defensive skills, a player who can already guard almost every position via his strength, speed and know-how. The broadcast compared him to Draymond Green, which is not a bad place to be — particularly for a Raptors team that obviously values defensive ability and versatility. Like Green, Barnes has flashed an advanced play-making game for a forward, and he also has a limited offensive arsenal. Few are looking at Barnes, who shot 28 percent from three and 62 percent from the free-throw line, to be a lights-out gunner. Maybe he gets there in time, or maybe his skill-set is less dependent on his shot.

So then the risk: did the Raptors just get a player who can’t start for the current squad with OG Anunoby and Pascal Siakam locked in at the small and power forward position? Could it be that Barnes only tracks as another second or third-ranked player on a championship calibre team? (If that; some are worried he’s the next Stanley Johnson.) In all, the question remains: will Toronto regret missing on Suggs?

Or do the Raptors have something else planned with regards to their roster construction? Right now it’s unclear, but we do know one thing for now: Toronto has selected Scottie Barnes in the 2021 NBA Draft.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Canada's women's eight rowing crew captures Olympic gold for 1st time in 29 years – CBC.ca

Published

 on



Canada’s women’s eight crew captured gold on the final day of Olympic rowing at the Sea Forest Waterway in Tokyo on Friday, winning the event for the first time in 29 years.

New Zealand claimed silver, finishing ahead of bronze winners China.

The only other Olympic gold for Canada in women’s eight came at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992, their first time reaching the Olympic podium. Canada’s crew enjoyed continued success with silver in 1996 and bronze in 2000.

Canada claimed silver in the women’s eight event at the 2012 London Olympics before missing the podium in Rio with a fifth place finish.

The men’s eight final wraps up the rowing competition at 9:25 p.m. ET.

More to come.

Bring on the cheers

Find live streams, must-watch video highlights, breaking news and more in one perfect Olympic Games package. Following Team Canada has never been easier or more exciting.

More from Tokyo 2020

WATCH l CBC Sports’ The Olympians feature on women’s eight rowing:

Watch CBC Sports’ The Olympians feature, on Women’s 8 Rowing. 2:37

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending