Connect with us

Health

Staff member at Bruyere tests positive for COVID-19 – CTV News

Published

on


OTTAWA —
A COVID-19 outbreak has been declared at Elisabeth Bruyere Residence after a staff member at Bruyere tested positive for novel coronavirus.

In a statement on its website, Bruyere says the employee worked at two of its three campuses, “taking shifts at our Saint-Vincent and Elisabeth Bruyere campuses and Elisabeth Bruyere Residence, before testing positive.”

None of the residents or patients at Bruyere have tested positive for COVID-19 to date. There are 757 laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa.

Bruyere says it was informed on April 16 that the staff member tested positive for novel coronavirus, and is in self-isolation at home.  Health officials determined the staff member acquired COVID-19 from a close contact in the community.

“We can confirm that while they were working they did not have symptoms and followed all of the infection prevention and control measures that we have in place,” said Bruyere in a statement on Saturday afternoon.

“This included following the recommended use of personal protective equipment and practicing physical distancing.”

Bruyere says since the source of COVID-19 transmission is known, “the circumstances do not warrant the declaration of an outbreak at our hospital sites.”

“Out of an extreme abundance of caution an outbreak, however, has been declared at Elisabeth Bruyere Residence on the direction of the Medical Officer of Health.”

In a message to families, patients and the community, Bruyere acknowledges outbreak “is a very scary word” during the COVID-19 pandemic, and they want everyone to know two things.

“The first is that in the response to COVID-19, given the vulnerable nature of our long-term care population, one staff member having a positive result is enough to declare an outbreak,” said Bruyere.

“The second is that, preventatively we already had all outbreak measures in place at both of our long-term care homes to prevent the spread of the virus within our homes.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19 case identified at second Port Coquitlam seniors home – The Record (New Westminster)

Published

on


A resident at a Port Coquitlam long-term care facility has tested positive for COVID-19, marking the third seniors care home in the Tri-Cities with at least one case of the coronavirus. 

Fraser Health identified the case at Nicola Lodge Wednesday, May 27, and the resident has been put into isolation at the facility.

article continues below

“This facility outbreak is a recent one. We’re still looking into it,” said Fraser Health’s top doctor, Dr. Martin Lavoie. 

Fraser Health does not currently know how the virus entered the facility.

Lavoie added that Fraser Health is in the process of investigating whether anyone has been in contact with the infected resident. Meanwhile, Fraser Health SWAT teams have implemented “enhanced control measures.”

The case marks a third flare up of the novel coronavirus in a Tri-City care home and the only active case in such a facility after the Shaughnessy and Dufferin care homes had their outbreaks declared over in recent weeks.

Nicola Lodge also marks the 17th seniors homes run by Sienna Living that has identified at least one case of COVID-19, according to a tally on their website. Most are in Ontario, including the Altamont Care Community in Scarborough, one of five seniors homes singled out in a recent report by the Canadian Armed Forces, which had been sent in to aid staff. 

The report, released Tuesday, details “horrific” allegations of insect infestations, aggressive resident feeding that caused choking, bleeding infections, and residents crying for help for hours across the five facilities.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford called it “the most heart-wrenching report” he’s ever read in his life, according to a report by the Canadian Press.

At Sienna Living’s Altamont Care Community, the report detailed several allegations of neglect, including residents not receiving three-meals a day, bed sores worn through ligament and tissue to the bone and dangerous errors in administering medication. 

The military said it brought in its own food to make sure residents were fed.

— with files from the Canadian Press

p.p1 margin: 0.0px 0.0px 8.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Geneva; min-height: 17.0px
p.p2 margin: 0.0px 0.0px 8.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Geneva

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Two more deaths, eight cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa while local resolved rate hits new high – OttawaMatters.com

Published

on


Ottawa Public Health (OPH) is reporting two more local deaths related to COVID-19, but it’s also seeing a higher resolved rate of cases than ever before.

The local death toll is now at 240.

Eight new cases of COVID-19 confirmed in the community on Thursday brings Ottawa’s total to 1,930 to date. Of those, 1,544 have been resolved, putting the city’s resolved rate at 80 per cent for the first time since the start of the pandemic.

Due to a lack of community testing, OPH says the overall case count could be anywhere from five to 30 times higher than what has been recorded. Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Vera Etches is urging anyone with even the slightest of symptoms to get tested. Residents who are asymptomatic, but would like to be tested are also welcome at the assessment centre at Brewer Arena or at one of the COVID-19 care clinics.

There are 37 Ottawa residents with COVID-19 currently in hospital and 18 outbreaks in local institutions. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

3 new coronavirus cases confirmed in New Brunswick connected to health-care professional – Globalnews.ca

Published

on


New Brunswick confirmed on Thursday three new active cases of the coronavirus that appear to have a connection to a health-care professional who worked in the Restigouche area.

The person travelled to Quebec earlier this month and did not self-isolate upon their return.

The new cases are of an individual under 19, another between 40 and 49 and the third over 90, who all reside in the Campbellton region.


READ MORE:
New Brunswick legislature adjourns as at least 3 MLAs return home after new coronavirus cases

At Thursday’s press briefing, Premier Blaine Higgs said information on this health-care professional has been passed along to the RCMP to determine exactly what took place and whether charges are warranted.

“I understand the person’s employer is also looking into the matter and I am confident the appropriate steps to address this incident will be taken.”

Story continues below advertisement


READ MORE:
1 new case, Campbellton region transitioning back to Orange level

CEO of Vitalité Health Network Gilles Lanteigne said it has been contact-tracing since Wednesday afternoon and has so far tested 50 to 60 employees who had been in direct or indirect contact with the physician.

“We do the staff and the physicians that are under Vitalité and then probably help test the community contacts by doing over 100 tests,” said Lanteigne.

Campbellton Regional Hospital

As a result of the recent case of the health-care professional, the province announced that the emergency department at the Campbellton Regional Hospital is closed until further notice due to the increased risk of COVID-19.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“Non-urgent or elective health-care services at the hospital have also been put on hold. For now, patients seeking emergency care are asked to visit the Chaleur Regional Hospital in Bathurst,” the province said in a statement.


READ MORE:
How New Brunswick’s four-step plan to recover from COVID-19 works

Higgs said many Zone 5 health-care workers and their families “are concerned about their potential exposure to the virus.”

“They are doing the right thing by getting tested and self-isolating until they have the results. Health-care workers in Bathurst are being asked to take on additional patients while their colleagues in Campbellton are unable to work,” he said.

Story continues below advertisement

Back to Orange level

On Wednesday, Zone 5 transitioned back to Orange level under the province’s COVID-19 recovery plan.

“The only reason we went back to Orange in that case (was) because we have a lot of contact tracing to do… so being very aware and needing to close the hospital in the region right now,” said Dr. Jennifer Russell, chief medical officer of health.

So far, she said 811 has received many calls, and about 290 people will be tested.

“We have great capacity to do that.”


READ MORE:
New Brunswick’s Blaine Higgs has highest approval rating among premiers in Canada, according to poll

In the meantime, Russell said the province could see transmission of the virus in other parts of New Brunswick if people have travelled to Zone 5 (Campbellton region) and did not maintain physical distancing.

Russell also noted that testing in the coming days will reveal a lot of information about the extent of transmission that may have taken place.

According to the province, the following rules apply to Zone 5 only:

  • A two-household bubble is permitted. Your household can join up with one other household if both households mutually agree. You must not have close contact with anyone else. You cannot join up with more than one household or bubble.
  • Non-regulated health professionals and businesses such as acupuncturists and naturopaths cannot operate at this time.
  • Personal services businesses such as barbers, hairstylists, spas, estheticians, manicurists, pedicurists and tattoo artists cannot operate at this time.

The province said officials from WorkSafeNB and the Department of Public Safety are in the area to ensure compliance.

Story continues below advertisement

“They will closely monitor and assess the situation in the days ahead,” the province said in a statement.

All other zones in New Brunswick will remain at Yellow level.


READ MORE:
Approval of prime minister, premiers soars amid coronavirus response — Ipsos poll

The state of emergency has also been extended for another 14 days.

Both cabinet and the all-party cabinet committee have approved the extension. New Brunswick has been under a state of emergency since March 19.

To date, 23,693 tests have been conducted in New Brunswick. There have been 126 confirmed cases. The number of active cases is six and 120 people have recovered from their illness. None of the active cases are in hospital.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending