Connect with us

Media

Starbuck will pause social media ads

Published

on

Starbucks is the latest company to say it will pause social media ads after a campaign led by civil rights organizations called for an ad boycott of Facebook, saying it doesn’t do enough to stop racist and violent content.

Starbucks said Sunday that its actions were not part of the “.StopHateforProfit” campaign, but that it is pausing its social ads while talking with civil rights organizations and its media partners about how to stop hate speech online.

The coffee chain’s announcement follows statements from Unilever, the European consumer-goods giant behind Ben & Jerry’s ice cream and Dove soap; Coca-Cola; cellphone company Verizon and outdoors companies like Patagonia, Eddie Bauer and REI; film company Magnolia Pictures; jeans maker Levi’s and dozens of smaller companies. Some of the companies will pause ads just on Facebook, while others will refrain from advertising more broadly on social media.

In response to companies halting advertising, Facebook executive Carolyn Everson said earlier this week the social networking platform is committed to purging hateful content from its services.

“Our conversations with marketers and civil rights organizations are about how, together, we can be a force for good,” said Everson, vice-president of Facebook’s global business group.

Facebook’s market value dropped Friday by more than 8%, or about $50 billion, as more companies said they would pause ads. Twitter stock also dropped more than 7% Friday.

Sarah Personette, vice-president of global client solutions at Twitter, said Friday the company’s “mission is to serve the public conversation and ensure Twitter is a place where people can make human connections, seek and receive authentic and credible information, and express themselves freely and safely.”

She added that Twitter is “respectful of our partners’ decisions and will continue to work and communicate closely with them during this time.”

Correction:

This story has been updated to correct the date of Twitter’s statement. It was sent Friday, not Thursday.

Source:- CTV News

Source link

Media

Sports media giant joins Hamilton's 2026 Commonwealth Games bid – CHCH News

Published

on


Earlier this month, the spectator reported that an unidentified individual was set to provide a multi-million dollar donation to ensure that the games are played in Hamilton. There’s a group who says that any public money spent during and post-pandemic for the games is irresponsible. On August 10th, the 2026 bid committee will offer a presentation to city council for their support. This comes on the heels of the commonwealth games federation’s September deadline for the Hamilton group to confirm their bid commitment. Veteran sports television executive Scott Moore has joined Hamilton’s Commonwealth Games bid committee. Moore has 4 decades of media experience with Rogers Sportsnet and CBC Sports and TSN. Currently, he’s the CEO of Uninterrupted Canada which is the North American media company that was created by Lebron James.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

PA police: No formal reports of suspicious white van in social media posts – Prince Albert Daily Herald

Published

on


Prince Albert police are investigating concerns expressed in several social media posts about a suspicious white van.

According to a news release, the police have not received any reports about the incidents circulating on social media. One post claims the driver of a white van followed them from north of La Ronge to Prince Albert, whereas others say a man driving a white van raped and dumped a young girl outside of Saskatchewan Polytechnic.

Despite no formal reports of these events, police launched an investigation into the potential suspicious activity.

This included checking a white van parked in an alley in the city. Officers found no evidence of suspicious activity involving the vehicle.

Police also followed up with agency partners to determine the reliability of the information in the posts, receiving no results.

“The Prince Albert Police Service is interested in hearing from members of the public should they have credible information involving this alleged incident,” read the release.

Residents that spot suspicious or illegal activity are asked to call the police service directly at (306) 953-4222. For emergencies, dial 911.

The police service said its Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are not monitored 24/7 and the public shouldn’t use these accounts to report a crime.

-Advertisement-

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Iran judiciary may halt protesters' executions after social media storm – BBC News

Published

on


Iran’s judiciary has suggested it might halt the executions of three young men convicted in connection with November’s mass anti-government protests, following a social media campaign.

The Persian hashtag #do_not_execute was used five million times after it was announced on Tuesday that the Supreme Court had upheld their death sentences.

Many celebrities backed the campaign.

On Wednesday night, the judiciary said its chief would consider any request from the men to review their sentences.

Lawyers for the three men also were reportedly told that they could for the first time examine the court papers and evidence against their clients.

Iran is the world’s second most prolific state executioner after China.

Despite having to deal with the Middle East’s biggest outbreak of Covid-19, which has killed more than 13,000 people and deepened an economic crisis, the Iranian authorities have not stopped trying capital cases and carrying out death sentences.

Early on Tuesday, two Kurdish men were executed in Urumieh prison in West Azerbaijan province.

Diaku Rasoulzadeh and Saber Sheikh Abdollah, who were in their early 20s and 30s respectively, had been on death row since 2015. They were convicted of planting a bomb at a military parade in Mahabad in 2010.

Their lawyer told BBC Persian they were innocent and that no evidence was presented at their trial other than confessions extracted under severe torture.

Amnesty International said the two men were “the latest victims of Iran’s deeply flawed criminal justice system, which systematically relies on fabricated evidence”.

Hours later, the Iranian judiciary’s spokesman confirmed that the death sentences of the three anti-government protesters had been upheld by the Supreme Court.

Amirhossein Moradi, Mohammad Rajabi and Saeed Tamjidi, who are all reportedly in their 20s, were arrested during November’s unrest, which was triggered by the government’s decision to raise the price of petrol.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Millions of Iranians poured into the streets of cities and towns across the country to protest against poverty, inflation and economic mismanagement. They were met with violence by security forces and hundreds were killed.

Amnesty International said the three men sentenced to death in connection with the protests underwent “grossly unfair trials”.

“Their allegations of torture and other ill-treatment were ignored and ‘confessions’ extracted from Amirhossein Moradi without a lawyer present, reportedly through beatings, electric shocks and being hung upside down, were relied upon to convict them of ‘enmity against God’ through acts of arson and vandalism,” it added.

The social media campaign to halt their executions was joined by many prominent figures both inside and outside Iran.

The footballer Masoud Shojaei posted on his Instagram page: “I am asking Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, President Hassan Rouhani and Judiciary Chief Ebrahim Raisi: Please be merciful with these three Iranian young people. Please stay their execution because of their families and people’s request.”

The actor Shahaab Hosseini wrote: “Swearing on the prophet of kindness and compassion, please stop the executions of these three young people.”

US President Donald Trump also called for the executions to be stopped.

Iran’s judiciary also announced last month that Ruhollah Zam, a dissident journalist and founder of the influential Telegram account AmadNews, had been sentenced to death for “spreading corruption on earth”.

One of the accusations he faced was encouraging people to participate in anti-government protests in 2017 and 2018.

Zam was based in Paris, but he was lured to Iraq by the Iranian Revolutionary Guards’ intelligence service and then kidnapped and taken back to Iran.

Iran’s government has not offered much help to those affected by the economic crisis, and the country’s leaders have expressed concern about future unrest.

Many Iranian human rights activists believe that by carrying out executions and sentencing protesters to death the leaders are hoping to scare people away from returning to the streets.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending