Unvaccinated athletes will be able to take part in next year’s Australian Open after undergoing 14 days of quarantine, the WTA Tour has told its players, according to an e-mail leaked to U.S. media.
The e-mail, obtained by freelance tennis journalist Ben Rothenberg, contradicts a statement made last week by Australia’s immigration minister that players would need to be double vaccinated to get a visa to compete at the Grand Slam.
Up to a third of players on the WTA and men’s ATP remain unvaccinated, according to reports, and men’s world number one Novak Djokovic has declined to disclose his vaccination status.
In the e-mail, the WTA said it wanted to “clear up false and misleading information” about the conditions players would be subjected to at the Australian Open.
The WTA said the information came from organisers Tennis Australia, who had requested players keep it confidential for “a few days” as they were still discussing the details with the government.
Tennis Australia declined to comment.
Victoria state Sports Minister Martin Pakula said no decision had been made on whether unvaccinated foreign players would be allowed into the country.
“It’s not settled,” he told radio station 3AW.
“We are still resolving with Tennis Australia and the Commonwealth whether unvaccinated foreign nationals will be allowed into Australia at all and if so, under what circumstances they will be allowed.
“We don’t expect that to be settled for another couple of weeks.”
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said last week there would be no special deals for unvaccinated players to compete in the state, where vaccination is mandatory for athletes, coaches and officials in professional sport.
Pakula said TA boss Craig Tiley had told him the vaccination rate among tennis players was nearly 80%.
He added that fully vaccinated players would not have to quarantine on arrival in Australia.
“The one thing that we have assured them all, is that the vaccinated players will be treated the same way as any other vaccinated entrant to the country,” he said.
From Nov. 1, fully vaccinated citizens, permanent residents and their overseas-based family members who arrive in Sydney and Melbourne will no longer need to quarantine.
All players who arrived from overseas for the 2021 edition of the Australian Open were forced to undergo two weeks of quarantine, although most were allowed to leave their hotels to practise.
Vaccinated players who enter Australia from Dec. 1 will not be required to quarantine or stay in a biosecure bubble, the WTA e-mail said.
The e-mail also says that qualifying, which was moved to the United Arab Emirates for the 2021 tournament, would again take place at Melbourne Park as normal.
There was no immediate response to a request for comment from the WTA.
The Australian Open is scheduled to start Jan. 17.
(Reporting by Ian Ransom in Melbourne and Nick Mulvenney in Sydney; editing by Pritha Sarkar and Stephen Coates)
RELEASE: COVID concerns at Signal Brewery – Quinte News
Hastings Prince Edward Public Health (HPEPH) is advising individuals who attended Signal Brewery (Corbyville) between November 19 – December 4 that they may have had an exposure to COVID-19. HPEPH is in the process of investigating multiple cases of COVID-19 that were present at the restaurant during this time frame. Signal Brewery has closed voluntarily while the investigation is underway.
All individuals who attended Signal Brewery between November 19 – December 4 are:
- Advised to seek testing immediately for COVID-19, even if you do not have symptoms.
- Monitor closely for symptoms of COVID-19.
- If symptoms develop, even mild ones such as a runny nose or sore throat, isolate at home and away from others, and seek testing again, even if you were negative the first time.
While HPEPH does not typically disclose the location of COVID-19 cases in order to protect individuals’ privacy, this information is disclosed when needed to meet public health objectives such as prompt notification of potential contacts and reducing the risk of further transmission. HPEPH is in the process of contacting identified high-risk contacts related to these cases. All high-risk contacts will be instructed by HPEPH to self-isolate immediately and to get tested.
“I am urging individuals who attended Signal Brewery on these dates to seek testing, even if they do not have symptoms, in order to protect those around them,” says Dr. Ethan Toumishey, Acting Medical Officer of Health at HPEPH. “All residents are asked to remain vigilant and protect one another – and this includes getting tested if advised, staying home and getting tested if you have symptoms, and limiting your close contacts. If you are not vaccinated, get vaccinated as soon as possible.”
WECHU issues additional COVID-19 measures | CTV News – CTV News Windsor
The Windsor Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) has issued a letter of instruction, aiming to address a surge in COVID-19 cases.
With cases of COVID-19 climbing steadily in the past month, local health officials say they are once again putting in place restrictions to curb the spread of the virus.
According to the health unit, the updated letter addresses the key settings associated with COVID-19 transmission identified through ongoing case investigations, which have identified social gatherings as an area of significant concern.
In particular, the revised Letter of Instruction contains the following additional measures:
- Social gatherings limited to 10 people indoors and 25 outdoors.
- Added measures for wedding receptions and the social events tied to funerals and religious services.
- Limiting indoor capacity for bars and restaurants to 50% of their total occupancy.
- Strict adherence to face covering requirements in all public settings.
Without further intervention, WECHU Medical Officer of Health Dr. Shanker Nesathurai believes cases can reach levels similar to those seen at the same time last year.
“We are very worried that we are already seeing this surge of cases in advance of the holiday season and its associated social gatherings,” said Nesathurai. “Immediate action needs to be taken by all residents to address the known sources of transmission which are social gatherings, both in homes and in the community.”
The updated changes go into effect at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, Dec. 10.
China cuts reserve requirement ratio as economy slows – BNN
Oil rises after Saudi price hike signals confidence in demand – BNN
Brazil Politics: Impasse Over Bill That Eases Fiscal Rule – BNN
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Tech15 hours ago
Sony VP fired after appearing in pedophile sting video – CNET
Sports21 hours ago
Maple Leafs Report Cards: Jason Spezza's heroics lead valiant comeback as Toronto scrapes out a point in Minnesota – Maple Leafs Hot Stove
Health14 hours ago
Public health unit in Ontario reinstates COVID-19 measures amid surge of cases – Powell River Peak
Sports11 hours ago
Canucks hire Bruce Boudreau as head coach to replace Travis Green – Sportsnet.ca
News20 hours ago
Omicron COVID-19 variant casts shadow over hopes for Christmas comeback in Canada – Globalnews.ca
Art16 hours ago
Modernism meets sacred geometry in Robert Houle retrospective at the Art Gallery of Ontario – The Globe and Mail
Art16 hours ago
Rosalia, Lizzo, Cardi B wrap up over the top Miami art week – Rocky Mountain Outlook
Health15 hours ago
Public health unit in Ontario reinstates tougher COVID measures amid surge of cases – North Shore News