Connect with us

Health

Waterloo Region now at over 500 cases of COVID-19 – KitchenerToday.com

Published

on


Waterloo Region is now at 503 cases of the coronavirus, as 16 new ones were reported on Monday.

There have also been two more deaths, raising that total to 27.

Both happened at Forest Heights Revera, where 11 residents have died.

The long-term care home has 101 cases of COVID-19 among residents, and another 40 in staff.

The region’s acting medical officer of health says with the assistance of a health system response team, a plan is being put in place to further support Forest Heights Revera, to help manage the outbreak.

“They are working very hard … Their staff are exceptionally committed, but we recognize as you have seen in the last couple days on our dashboard, the number of cases has significantly risen.” Dr. Hsiu-Li Wang explained during a morning news conference.

“It has come to a time when the health system partners are working with Forest Heights Revera to offer additional supports.” she added.

A new outbreak has been declared at Victoria Place retirement home, as a resident now has the virus.

Meantime, 169 of the 503 cases in the region are now considered resolved.

Provincially, Ontario reported 606 new cases on Monday, which is the largest single-day increase to date.

Over 5,100 of the 11,184 cases have been resolved.

There have been 584 deaths in Ontario.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Another COVID-19 case reported in northern New Brunswick on Saturday – CHAT News Today

Published

on


To date, there have been 129 confirmed cases in New Brunswick and 120 people have recovered from their illness. 

Three people are hospitalized and there are no patients in an intensive care unit.

Campbellton Mayor Stephanie Anglehart-Paulin said people were waiting about 15 minutes in the lineups to be tested, while seniors could call the 811 Tele-Care line to make an appointment to avoid the lines.

She said people are not happy that a health-care professional would put the public at risk.

“People have been pretty hateful and nasty on social media,” she said.

The mayor said she was embarrassed by many of the comments and urged people to help each other and limit their contacts for the next two weeks.

“The man is human and I don’t think it’s my place to judge him. His professional association will judge what they have to judge if there was any wrongdoing done,” she said.

Premier Blaine Higgs has criticized the worker at the centre of the cluster as “irresponsible.” He said this week that information had been passed to the RCMP and suggested the individual could be charged with violating public health orders.

On Friday, a spokeswoman for the New Brunswick RCMP confirmed that the force is looking into the matter.

Chief medical officer of health Dr. Jennifer Russell said people need to show understanding, forgiveness and compassion during this pandemic.

“Please remember that COVID-19 brings out many emotions in us,” said Russell. “It causes many of us to experience feelings of confusion, anxiety, fear and grief. Some may also be angry. It is completely normal to feel these feelings when we face situations that are beyond our control.”

Gilles Lanteigne, president and CEO of the Vitalite Health Network confirmed the health-care professional thought to be patient zero in the outbreak has been suspended from work indefinitely after coming into contact with more than 100 people at the Campbellton Regional Hospital.

Elective surgeries have been suspended, and ambulances are being diverted to another hospital. Zone 5 has been moved back to the “orange” phase of the province’s reopening plan, with previous restrictions reinstated.

“We can get through this. It all will be fine,” Anglehart-Paulin said.

“We’ve got 14 days they tell us to hold our breath, so we’re going to hold our breath for another 14 days.”

Russell said everyone must be vigilant and self monitor for symptoms, regardless if they have been recently tested for COVID-19.

Before the Campbellton area cases, the province had gone two weeks without new cases and was actively reopening many businesses and services.

The latest cases follow a protest earlier in the month by more than 400 people from Campbellton and the Quebec communities of Pointe-a-la-Croix and Listuguj First Nation, calling for a “bubble” to be created between them.

Anglehart-Paulin said the flood of emails she was getting in support of opening the border suddenly stopped when the latest cases were reported.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 30, 2020.

— By Kevin Bissett in Fredericton.

The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

344 new coronavirus cases, 41 deaths in Ontario as total cases rise to 27210

Published

on

Ontario reported 344 new cases of the novel coronavirus on Friday, bringing the provincial total to 27,210.

The death toll has risen to 2,230, as 41 more deaths were reported.

Meanwhile, 20,983 people have recovered from COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, which is 77 per cent of cases.

Ontario has completed 680,687 tests so far for the virus. This is up 18,525 tests from the previous day, which is the highest number of tests completed in a 24-hour period in almost three weeks.

The province has previously said it has a testing capacity of over 20,000 daily tests. Ontario is set to reveal a new coronavirus testing strategy Friday to gauge phased reopening.

Friday’s report marks an increase of 1.3 per cent in total cumulative cases. That figure has mostly hovered between 1.1 and 1.8 over the past week.

Ontario has 826 patients (down by seven) hospitalized due to COVID-19, with 129 patients in an intensive care unit (down by eight) and 100 patients in ICUs on a ventilator (up by six).

According to the Ministry of Long-Term Care, there have been 1,625 deaths reported among residents and patients in long-term care homes across Ontario, which is an increase of 34 deaths, and there are 123 current outbreaks. Six health-care workers in long-term care homes have died.

Ontario officials have said there may be a discrepancy between overall deaths and deaths at long-term care homes due to how the province’s health database system, called iPHIS, is tracking data and how the Ministry of Long-Term Care is tracking data.

The ministry also indicated there are currently 1,476 confirmed cases among long-term care residents and 1,113 cases among staff.

Health-care workers in Ontario account for 4,634 of the total reported cases, which is 17 per cent of the infected population.

Greater Toronto Area public health units account for 65 per cent of all cases in the province.

Here is a breakdown of Ontario cases by gender and age:

  • 11,818 people are male (43.4 per cent).
  • 15,162 people are female (55.7 per cent).
  • 948 people are 19 and under (3.5 per cent).
  • 6,992 people are 20 to 39 (25.7 per cent).
  • 8,310 people are 40 to 59 (30.5 per cent).
  • 5,551 people are 60 to 79 (20.4 per cent).
  • 5,394 people are 80 and over (19.8 per cent).
  • 230 cases did not specify male or female and 15 cases had an unknown age.

There are 13,351 people currently under investigation awaiting test results.

The newly reported numbers are valid as of 2 p.m. Thursday for Toronto and Ottawa public health units, and 4 p.m. for the rest of the province.

Source: – cjoy.com

Source link

Edited By Harry Miller

Continue Reading

Health

Chinese vaccine for COVID-19 could be ready by year-end

Published

on

An engineer looks at monkey kidney cells as he makes a test on an experimental vaccine for COVID-19 inside the Cells Culture Room laboratory at the Sinovac Biotech facilities in Beijing, April 29, 2020.

Nicolas Asfouri / AFP via Getty Images

A vaccine could be ready for the market as early as the end of this year or early 2021, according to the May 29 post on Chinese social media platform WeChat.

HONG KONG — A Chinese-made coronavirus vaccinebiological products be ready for market as early as the end of this year, China’s State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission (SASAC) said in a social media post.

In trials, more than 2,000 people have received vaccines developed by the Wuhan Institute of Biological Products and the Beijing Institute of Biological Products. A vaccine could be ready for the market as early as the end of this year or early 2021, according to the May 29 post on Chinese social media platform WeChat.

Vaccines from the Wuhan Institute of Biological Products and the Beijing Institute of Biological Products had entered Phase II clinical trials. Both groups are affiliated with state-owned pharmaceutical group Sinopharm, whose management is overseen by SASAC.

The Beijing Institute of Biological Products’ production line will have an annual manufacturing capacity of 100 million to 120 million doses, according to the article.

China has five coronavirus vaccines in human trials. Neither company could be reached for comment on Saturday evening.

Source:The Province

Source link

Edited BY Harry Miller

Continue Reading

Trending