Connect with us

Health

4 people test positive for COVID-19 after attending night club last week – CBC.ca

Published

 on


Public health officials in Toronto are warning of a potential COVID-19 exposure that originated at a local night club last week.

The city’s public health unit says four people who have tested positive for the virus attended Noir inside Rebel Entertainment Complex on Sept. 11.

They say anyone who was at the club between 10:30 p.m. that night and 2 a.m. the next morning may have been exposed.

Toronto Public Health says those who were at the club that night should monitor themselves for symptoms until Sept. 25, as well as wear masks in public and wash their hands regularly.

They say officials are working to trace anyone who had close contact with the four positive cases.

Toronto is one of three regions that’s been leading a major spike in the province’s COVID-19 case numbers in recent weeks, along with Ottawa and Peel Region.
 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Exclusive: Montreal to convert downtown hotel to 380-bed homeless shelter for COVID-19 winter – CTV News Montreal

Published

 on


MONTREAL —
The City of Montreal is set to take over a downtown hotel to house hundreds of homeless people this winter, creating the city’s bigger shelter by far, CTV has confirmed.

A formal announcement is set for Thursday. The deal means the hotel, which hasn’t yet been named, will get funding in order to give over its rooms until March 31.

The hotel is currently an active hotel, not a vacant property. The facility will be run by the Welcome Hall Mission.

The plan, according to a source who has been working on the file, is to put dividers in each of its rooms and therefore house two people per room.

That will create spots for 380 homeless Montrealers. 

By comparison, the Macaulay men’s shelter at the Welcome Hall Mission has 110 spots, the old Royal Victoria Hospital, which has been in use since last winter, can house 175, and other shelters are significantly smaller.

The hotel’s public funding will come from the local health authority. 

The announcement, slated for Thursday at 1 p.m., will include other new plans for winter resources for the homeless. 

Earlier this year, when COVID-19 first hit Canada, Toronto leased hotels to provide emergency housing for homeless Torontonians as well.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Canadian Press NewsAlert: Quebec reaches more than 100000 total cases of COVID-19 – Vancouver Courier

Published

 on


MONTREAL — Quebec reached more than 100,000 total cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, becoming the first province in Canada to hit the somber milestone since the pandemic began in March.

But despite remaining the country’s coronavirus epicentre, public health experts say a recent downward trend of infections is an encouraging sign.

article continues below

“It’s a moment where we all sit up and say wow, 100,000 – that’s a lot of zeroes,” said Erin Strumpf, an associate professor at McGill University specialized in health economics.

“But again I think the more important thing to be paying attention to is the trend that we’ve been seeing recently in the province.”

The province reported 879 new cases on Sunday, bringing the total to 100,114infections since the start of the pandemic.

The curve of new infections appears to have flattened over the past few weeks though, Strumpf said in an interview.

That downward trend, she said, coincides with stricter public health guidelines that aimed to stem the spread of the virus.

The government ordered the closure of bars and gyms, among other places, in hard-hit areas and advised residents to limit their contact with people who do not live in their households.

Montreal and Quebec City are among several Quebec regions that remain under the highest COVID-19 alert.

Strumpf said it is hard to pinpoint what exact measures are responsible for flattening the curve, however.

She added that she expects to see many public health restrictions remain in place moving forward. “It’s very difficult to know right now or to predict how long those closures may stay in place,” she said.

Still, the high COVID-19 infection numbers bring up painful memories for Quebecers who lost loved ones during the pandemic.

July Mak, whose 68-year-old father Paul contracted COVID-19 in a long-term care home in Montreal and died at the end of March, said the pain of her father’s death has not eased with time.

“To see these numbers this high… it blows my mind,” Mak said in an interview Sunday.

She said she wants the Quebec government to recognize that its COVID-19 data is more than just numbers — and thousands of people across the province have been directly affected.

“They mattered,” Mak said, about the thousands who have died.

On Sunday, Quebec Health Minister Christian Dube said on Twitter that the number of new infections is “stable but remains high.”

Those cases can turn into hospitalizations and deaths, Dube warned, urging Quebecers to remain vigilant to reduce transmission.

Quebec health officials also reported 11 additional deaths attributed to the novel coronavirus, bringing the total to 6,143.

Five of those additional deaths took place in the past 24 hours, five were reported between Oct. 18-23 and one occurred at an unspecified date.

Hospitalizations went up by two across the province, for a total of 551. Of those, 97 people were in intensive care — an increase of four compared to the previous day.

The province said it conducted 25,378 COVID-19 tests on Friday, the last date for which the testing data is available.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 25, 2020.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Ontario dog becomes first known to test positive for COVID-19 in Canada | News – Daily Hive

Published

 on


An Ontario dog has tested positive for COVID-19 after a research study proved the possibility by placing the animal in an infected household.

According to the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, they had been notified of the confirmed case contracted by a Niagara region dog on October 23.

The dog was part of a research study “following the diagnosis of COVID-19 in several people in the same household,” according to the release by OMAFRA.

“This dog did not have any clinical signs of disease. The current understanding of COVID-19 is that the overall risk of infection and illness in most domestic animals is low.”

The release states that current evidence suggests that mink, ferrets, cats, and (rarely) dogs can be infected with the virus; however, there is still “uncertainty” surrounding what this means for animals and how the virus behaves through different animal species.

“As a precautionary measure, people with COVID-19 symptoms, or those who are self-isolating due to contact with a COVID-19 case, should restrict contact with their pets, livestock or any other animals, and exercise the same infection control precautions they would around people,” read the release.

“Pets belonging to owners infected with COVID-19 should be kept indoors as much as possible and contact between these pets and anyone other than their designated caretaker should be avoided as much as possible.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending