Connect with us

Media

A police chief resigns over an anonymous social media account. His replacement is replaced for the same reason – CNN

Published

 on


On Sunday, Police Chief Brandon del Pozo resigned after a scandal involving his use of an anonymous Twitter account.
Less than 12 hours later, his acting replacement, Deputy Chief Jan Wright, was removed from her role for the use of a Facebook account under a fake name.
By Monday night, Deputy Chief Jon Murad was acting chief, assuring city officials that he “has never engaged in anonymous social media posting.”

What happened last July

The controversy has roots dating back to last July, as Mayor Miro Weinberger outlined in a statement last Friday.
That month, del Pozo told the mayor that he’d been running a Twitter account anonymously under the handle @WinkleWatchers.
Through the account, del Pozo targeted a local man who had been critical of the police department.
Tweeting from the anonymous account, del Pozo called local community organizer Charles Winkleman a “cowardly creature hiding behind an electron curtain,” according to screen shots confirmed by Burlington city officials. The account has since been deleted.
The mayor said he put del Pozo on administrative leave but later reinstated him.
“When dealing with personnel issues as mayor, I generally believe that people deserve second chances if possible, particularly when they have come forward to admit error,” he said in the statement.

What happened next

Cut to last week.
Seven Days, an alternative weekly, asked the mayor about the Chief’s anonymous account.
The mayor publicly accepted del Pozo’s resignation Monday. Del Pozo could not be reached for comment.
At a news conference that day, the mayor announced that Wright would be acting chief.
However, that announcement quickly unraveled.
Soon after the news press conference, Wright told the mayor she had “occasionally operated a Facebook account under the name ‘Lori Spicer’ through which she made comments about and engaged citizens in discussion of Police Department policy and practice.”
As a result, she was replaced as acting chief.
“While Deputy Chief Wright’s situation may be very different than Chief del Pozo’s, given the circumstances the department is facing, I found the failure to raise this issue with me in the lead-up to today to constitute a lapse in judgement,” the mayor said.

What’s next

Now Burlington, Vermont, has a new acting police chief — Jon Murad.
But the two personnel changes raise “the possibility that problematic social media use is far more widespread within the department than previously understood,” the mayor said.
Wright remains a deputy chief on full duty, the city told CNN Tuesday.
But the target of del Pozo’s ire said he didn’t think that was enough.
“The entire scandal and coverup is petty, shameful, and a deeply disturbing display of no accountability or oversight in this city,” Winkleman, the target of del Pozo’s anonymous account, told CNN in an email.
The city said it will be seeking an independent investigation to review the police department’s social media use and policies.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Media

The Barn Find Hunter Finds a Home on REV TV!

Published

 on

Burlington, ON (August 10, 2022) — REV TV, YOUR MOTORSPORTS & AUTOMOTIVE DESTINATION 24/7, is excited to join the hunt for buried automotive treasure with the addition of Barn Find Hunter to its programming lineup.

Barn Find Hunter, which is produced by Hagerty Media, follows host Tom Cotter—who literally wrote the book(s) on barn finds—as he searches through dusty barns, cluttered garages and rusty scrap yards for automotive gold.

“REV TV viewers are the type of folks to pass a barn on a backroad and wonder if a Hemi is gathering dust inside,” said Mike Garrow, CEO of REV TV. “Barn Find Hunter, therefore, is the perfect fit for our channel and a great extension and expansion of our relationship with our wonderful partner Hagerty.”

“There’s nothing like the Barn Find Hunter audience so it’s a thrill to welcome the REV TV audience,” said Barn Find Hunter host Tom Cotter. “I’ve been doing this most my life and I love how the show demonstrates to viewers that these great cars are still out there – you just need to look in the right place!”

Barn Find Hunter will make its debut on Saturday, August 13th at 10AM ET.

About Hagerty, Inc. (NYSE: HGTY)

Based in Traverse City, Michigan, Hagerty’s purpose is to save driving and car culture for future generations and its mission is to build a global business to fund that purpose. Hagerty is an automotive enthusiast brand offering integrated membership products and programs as well as a specialty insurance provider focused on the global automotive enthusiast market. Hagerty is home to Hagerty Drivers Club, Hagerty DriveShare, Hagerty Valuation Tools, Hagerty Media, Hagerty Drivers Club magazine, MotorsportReg, Hagerty Garage + Social, The Amelia, Detroit Concours d’Elegance, Greenwich Concours d’Elegance, California Mille, Motorlux, Hagerty Drivers Foundation and more.

For more information on Hagerty, please visit https://www.hagerty.com/, or connect with us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter. More information can be found at newsroom.hagerty.com.

 

About REV TV

YOUR MOTORSPORTS & AUTOMOTIVE DESTINATION is available to over 6 million households across Canada and features over 200 races from around the world and right here at home. From two-wheels to four and so much more. REV TV showcases all forms of high-octane racing, such as MotoGP, Monster Jam, AMA Supercross, World Rally Championship, IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, Indy Lights, World Endurance Championship, World RX Championship, IndyCar Classics, SPEED SPORT TV, along with news coverage such as The Inside Line (F1), Winged Nation (winged sprint cars) and Tuning 365 Performance Auto & Sound Magazine. We also have a slate of original programming with REV Culture with Todd Lewis that features interviews with motorsports luminaries, All North Racing which focuses on grassroots racing, a slew of how-to and behind-the-scenes programs, and so much more. REV TV is your MOTORSPORTS & AUTOMOTIVE DESTINATION 24/7.

Continue Reading

Media

Singer Songwriter DIA Heats Up Summer With ‘LIMONATA”

Published

 on

Toronto, ON – Canadian-Italian singer/ songwriter DIA, released her new single, “Limonata” on all music platforms.  The pop artist draws you in with a powerful and dynamic sound.  DIA’s voice is filled with nuances that embrace diverse cultures.  With a master’s degree in ethnomusicology and the ability to sing in 32 languages, the multi-talented artist has no boundaries and takes fans outside theirs.  “Limonata” produced by KC Bondar, is a fun and sexy single for the summer about loving and living life to the fullest.  With an upbeat Latin and Mediterranean vibe, “Limonata” will have you up dancing all summer long.
DIA has headlined festivals throughout Canada, the US, Europe, Central and South America, that included a performance at the closing ceremonies of the Parapan Am games – an honor for the artist.   A voice of multiculturalism and a product of her Canadian environment makes DIA’s connection with audiences undeniable.  The singer draws you into her music with enthusiastic performances and the belief that music has no barriers.  “Limonata” is that song….   Listen. Repeat. Listen. Repeat
“Each culture I experience, leaves a thumbprint on my voice… and with this song, I’ve got Italy on my mind”
                                                                                             DIA
Listen to “LIMONATA”

 

Watch The Video:
 
Follow DIA:
INSTAGRAM @diadiadia
FACEBOOK: @diamusiconline

 

YOUTUBE: @diamusicofficial
TIKTOK: @worldofdia
WEBSITE: https://www.diamusiconline.com/
Media Inquiries:
Sasha Stoltz Publicity:
Sasha Stoltz | Sasha@sashastoltzpublicity.com | 416.579.4804
Continue Reading

Media

Timmins news: Teen charged with social media threats | CTV News – CTV News Northern Ontario

Published

 on


Timmins police have been busy with young offenders this week with the latest involving a teen boy getting charged for threatening another teen using social media.

A 15-year-old male is accused of threatening a 14-year-old female online and attempting to “entice and enlist others to cause bodily harm” to her, police said in a news release Thursday morning.

Officers responded to a complaint Wednesday evening and were able to identify, locate and arrest the boy at his home the same night.

He has been charged with two counts each of uttering threats and failing to comply with a release order and one count of conspiracy to commit an offence.

The accused was held in custody overnight and is scheduled to appear at a bail hearing Thursday.

This comes after two other violent incidents involving young suspects in the last week.

“It’s a definite worrisome trend,” Marc Depatie, a Timmins police spokesperson, told CTV News in an email.

Five teens, ranging from 12 to 15 years of age, were charged after a 14-year-old female was allegedly swarmed, beaten and robbed on Aug. 5.

A 12-year-old female has been charged with assaulting another girl her age Tuesday evening at a Park Avenue schoolyard.

Both victims were injured in the attacks.

None of the allegations has been proven in court.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending