For non-emergent illnesses and injuries, parents can visit the new urgent and primary care centres or call 811 for free advice.
B.C. Children’s Hospital wants your little loved ones to stay out of the waiting room and get promptly treated this holiday season.
The Vancouver hospital is reminding parents that they can avoid long and unnecessary waits at its emergency department over the holidays by choosing from several other options to treat children with non-emergent illnesses and injuries.
Dr. Benetta Chin, an emergency physician at B.C. Children’s Hospital, said doctors and nurses know that the holidays are a stressful time to be caring for a sick child, with many clinics and doctors’ offices closed and emergency rooms so busy.
“Of course, if you come, we are happy to see you and will give you the best care possible,” Chin said.
“But we also feel frustrated for families when we see that they’ve been waiting six hours for a sore throat or even earache that could be dealt with at a walk-in setting or even at the urgent and primary care centre.”
Chin said that while many illnesses and injuries can be treated at a family doctor’s office or walk-in clinic, families are also encouraged to bring sick children to new urgent and primary care centres open in Vancouver, North Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Ridge Meadows and elsewhere across B.C.
If a child isn’t seriously ill, parents can phone HealthLinkBC at 811, where they can speak with a nurse for health advice any time of day or night, free of charge.
But the hospital says you should take your child to the emergency department if they have:
• A persistent high fever for more than four days
• Excessive coughing, especially with a fever
• An injured limb that looks swollen or crooked
• Not urinated within 12 hours and have stopped drinking fluids
• Blue lips and skin that appears pale
• Trouble breathing, especially with rapid or laboured breathing patterns
• Excessive vomiting, particularly if it is bright green or there is blood in the vomit
• Ingested a toxic chemical, including a suspected drug or alcohol overdose
• Fallen more than five feet or 1.5 metres
• Started vomiting after a head injury
• A visible bump after a head injury and the child is less than three months old
• Lost consciousness
Mental health emergency:
• If your child is thinking about or trying to end their life, get urgent help by calling 911 or 1-800-SUICIDE.
Manitoba murder trial to continue with 11 jurors after one shows COVID-19 symptoms. – Richmond News
WINNIPEG — A murder trial in Manitoba will continue with 11 jurors after one was discharged because he was showing COVID-19 symptoms.
Kane Moar is charged with second-degree murder in the 2018 stabbing death of 34-year-old Ricardo Hibi.
Deliberations were to begin Wednesday but were delayed after the juror was turned away at the courthouse and went to be tested.
The other jurors were sent home and advised to self-isolate until the man’s test results are complete.
Queen’s Bench Justice Vic Toews told the jury Thursday he received advice from public health that it is safe and prudent to continue.
Toews says even if the juror tests positive, it doesn’t mean the remaining jurors would need to self-isolate given the steps taken in court, which include physical distancing.
“It is not prudent to wait any longer,” said Toews.
Moar, 23, is accused of killing Hibi at the foster home he ran for boys.
Jury trials were suspended across the country in the spring as the justice system grappled with how to handle the pandemic.
They resumed in Manitoba earlier this month with Moar’s trial.
The court put several protocols in place. Jury selections have been held in a large convention centre, there has been physical distancing in courtrooms and masks became mandatory after an employee at the Winnipeg courthouse tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
Toews said Wednesday that he was optimistic that jurors would soon hear his charge in the case before beginning deliberations on a verdict. (CTV Winnipeg, The Canadian Press)
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 24, 2020.
Daily new COVID-19 cases triple in past month; more schools hit – Kamloops This Week
TORONTO — A dramatic tripling of daily new cases of COVID-19 in the past month, mostly among young people, has prompted the prime minister to declare the arrival of the second wave of the pandemic and that Canadians likely won’t be able to gather for Thanksgiving.
“In our four biggest provinces, the second wave isn’t just starting, it’s already underway,” Justin Trudeau said Wednesday evening in a rare television address to the nation.
“We’re on the brink of a fall that could be much worse than the spring.”
Trudeau said Canadians can’t do anything to change the numbers now, or even tomorrow.
“But what we can change is where we are in October, and into the winter,” he said.
“It’s all too likely we won’t be gathering for Thanksgiving, but we still have a shot at Christmas.”
Canada’s chief public health officer, Dr. Theresa Tam, said the country had seen an average of more than 1,100 new cases of the novel coronavirus a day this past week compared with about 380 a day in mid-August.
“Canada is at a crossroads with the COVID-19 epidemic trajectory,” Tam said before Trudeau’s address. “Unless public health and individual protective measures are strengthened and we work together to slow the spread of the virus, the situation is on track for a big resurgence in a number of provinces.”
While the new cases were primarily among young adults, more than 400 schools in Quebec and another 153 in Ontario reported at least one case of the illness. The figures from the group COVID Ecoles Quebec and the Ontario government came as authorities seek ways to curb the spread of COVID-19 among younger people.
Data from Ontario show cases among those in their 20s have risen sharply in the past month, with one expert attributing the increase in part to the reopening of schools and universities.
In an effort to tackle the problem, several provinces, cities and universities have warned of stiff fines for violating anti-COVID restrictions. However, Quebec said it would not allow police to enter homes without a warrant to break up gatherings that violate the measures.
The worrisome upward trend in new cases came as the federal Liberal government laid out its plan to take on the second wave.
“To prevent small clusters from becoming major outbreaks, communities may need to enact short-term closure orders,” the government said in its throne speech.
Stringent lockdowns in the spring caused unprecedented economic disruption, prompting the government to spend tens of billions of dollars on supports as unemployment skyrocketed.
The throne speech promised, among other things, an extension of the federal wage-subsidy program until next summer, more aid for businesses and help to boost testing capacity. People in various cities have waited for hours or even days for virus testing. Safety concerns led a hospital in Kitchener, Ont., to close its drive-thru testing centre as people arrived in the wee hours.
In all, COVID-19 has killed about 9,250 people in Canada, while the cumulative case count has been edging toward the 150,000 mark.
Quebec, with more than 69,000 cases, accounts for about 48 per cent of the total cases but 63 per cent of the deaths. Ontario’s more than 48,000 reported cases account for 33 per cent nationally, and 31 per cent of fatalities
On Wednesday, Quebec reported 471 new cases. Another four reported deaths from the novel coronavirus brought the province’s total fatalities to 5,809.
Ontario, which has shown a steady increase in new cases since mid-August, after months of declines, reported 335 new cases Wednesday and another three deaths. Almost 70 per cent of new infections were in people under the age of 40.
Concern is also mounting as more long-term care homes in Ontario, brutally hit by the virus earlier in the year, report outbreaks. Almost 70 per cent of fatalities have been among those aged 80 and older and another 27 per cent were 60 to 79 years of age.
While older people and those with underlying health conditions are more susceptible to severe illnesses from SARS-CoV-2, younger people can spread the disease — often before showing any symptoms.
“When there’s so much in the community, it can escalate into the populations with more vulnerability,” Dr. Vera Etches, medical officer of health in Ottawa, one of the harder hit cities, said.
Ontario data indicates new cases among people in their 20s have reached similar levels to those seen among people in their 80s in mid-April. Along with school reopenings, Dr. Brian Ward, a professor of medicine at McGill University, cited bars and parties as key factors, along with a “general sense of invulnerability” among younger people.
“COVID fatigue also clearly plays a role,” Ward said.
Winnipeg, for example, accounted for 30 of Manitoba’s 42 new cases reported Wednesday, with possible exposures at restaurants, bars and a pub trivia night, the province said.
Trudeau sympathized with Canadians feeling the stress of a second wave, but urged people to be strong.
“‘Can’t’ will not define us,” he said.
“We can bend the curve. We can build a stronger future. We can define the change.”
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 23, 2020.
Saskatchewan health officials fine person $2000 for not self-isolating while symptomatic – WellandTribune.ca
REGINA—Saskatchewan health officials have fined a person $2,000 for not self-isolating while showing symptoms of COVID-19, bringing the total amount of penalties levied in the province to more than $20,000.
The Ministry of Health has not released specific details about the recent case, except to say the penalty was imposed after a contact tracing investigation.
“Public health is confident that all close contacts have been determined and contacted in this case,” reads a statement from the Ministry of Health.
Public health rules state people must isolate for 14 days if they return from international travel, are diagnosed with COVID-19 or have been close to someone who is positive.
Officials said the recent violation was of a section of the provincial public health order that states all symptomatic people who have been directed to get a COVID-19 test, or are awaiting their results, must isolate until they are no longer deemed a risk.
The Saskatchewan Health Authority said asymptomatic people being tested are only required to self-monitor.
“As there is no further public risk, we will not be releasing additional information about this enforcement,” said the statement.
A spokesperson said officials have issued four fines related to violations around COVID-19 precautions, including the one announced Thursday.
Recently, an organizer of a private gathering at a home in Saskatoon, where about 47 people attended, was fined $2,000. Another $2,000 fine was handed to a person who didn’t self-isolate, despite being positive for COVID-19.
A $10,000 penalty was given to a business that was open when restrictions were in place.
“Fines are not our first choice; we want people to be responsible and protect their health and the health of the friends, family and community,” Colleen Book said in an email.
“There can be very serious consequences for not following Public Health Orders and we are seeing increasing transmission rates in Saskatchewan and across the country as a result of social gatherings (weddings, parties etc.). This is putting our schools, businesses and health facilities at risk.”
Saskatchewan reported five new infections on Thursday. Officials said of the more than 1,800 cases reported to date in the province, 130 are believed to be active.
There are 24 active infections of children since schools reopened earlier this month.
Ring’s new Always Home Cam is a surveillance drone for your home – The Next Web
Manitoba murder trial to continue with 11 jurors after one shows COVID-19 symptoms. – Richmond News
Why stock markets are up 44% amid the worst economic contraction in history – CBC.ca
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Health23 hours ago
Four Ottawa schools under outbreak as number of COVID-19 cases inches up – Ottawa Citizen
- News23 hours ago
Leaked document reveals Ontario's plan to avoid another COVID-19 lockdown – CBC.ca
- Health15 hours ago
Ontario College of Teachers asks retired teachers to return to the classroom to address teaching shortage during pandemic – CTV Edmonton
- Art20 hours ago
Making Art When ‘Lockdown’ Means Prison – The New York Times
- Business23 hours ago
13 Ottawa pharmacies to begin offering COVID-19 tests Friday – CBC.ca
- Economy11 hours ago
If Donald Trump drags the U.S. economy down, Canada's economy is going along for the ride – Toronto Star
- Tech20 hours ago
Xbox Series X’s expansion card costs $219.99 – Polygon
- News13 hours ago
Ontario sees 409 new COVID-19 cases, rolls out $1B updated testing and contact-tracing plan – CBC.ca