Scott Boras on client Austin Martin signing with the Blue Jays
July 09 2020
Defending US Open champion Bianca Andreescu took to Twitter Wednesday night to show her support for the USTA’s decision to run the grand slam tournament later this summer in New York amid the ongoing COVID-19 global pandemic.
The Canadian, who became a star last year after beating American Serna Williams in the US Open final to capture her first Grand Slam title, says she plans “to make the most of the opportunity to get back on the court, re-connect with players and friends and hopefully bring tennis back to the millions of fans across the globe safely.”
Read the full statement below:
“The US Open will always hold a very special place in my heart. Arthur Ashe is where I won my first Grand Slam title and I treasure so many unforgettable moments at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center,” said the 20-year-old. “Since then, we’ve seen sports, and the world as we know it, come to a halt due to the spread of COVID-19. I can’t stress enough that the health and safety of, not only the players, but of all those involved in making tennis happen again this season is, and has always been, of the utmost importance. I have no doubt that the USTA has come up with the best plan to insure our safety as we look to the return of tennis in 2020. The decision, I know was not made lightly and I completely support and understand every players personal opinions on the matter and their comfort level traveling near and far to compete on the world’s biggest stage. Returning to life as we once knew it is no longer an option but, I plan to make the most of the opportunity to get back on the court, re-connect with players and friends and hopefully bring tennis back to the millions of fans across the globe safely.”
On Tuesday, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said the US Open can go ahead as scheduled from Aug. 31 to Sept. 13, but without fans.
However, numerous players have since came forward with their concerns, including Canadian doubles player Gabriela Dabrowski.
Andreescu, a native of Mississauga, Ont., had a breakout campaign in 2019, winning Indian Wells and the Rogers Cup in Toronto in addition to her victory at the US Open.
Currently ranked sixth in the world, Andreescu was forced to drop out of this year’s Indian Wells tournament in March due to a lingering left knee injury. The tournament was cancelled shortly later due to COVID-19 and tennis has not gotten back to action since.
The ongoing dispute between Toronto Blue Jays player Ryan “Rowdy” Tellez, and his Toronto landlord has been resolved.
CBC News has learned with the Jays back in Toronto and practicing at the Rogers Centre, Tellez paid his landlord $16,400 to cover his rent payments through the end of September, when the lease on a two-bedroom downtown Toronto condo is set to expire.
“I’m very pleased Mr. Tellez has paid his lease agreement in full through till the end of September,” landlord Linda Pinizzotto told CBC News.
“We were able to finalize his payment through his legal representative in a friendly manner.”
Pinizzotto, who first told CBC Toronto about the issue in June, declined to comment further.
Tellez returned to Toronto on Sunday but has yet to step foot in the condo or pick up the keys, despite signing a lease back in January. During the time he was refusing to pay, Tellez argued through his Florida-based lawyer that because COVID-19 had suspended the baseball season and he was stuck living in the U.S., he shouldn’t have to pay rent in Toronto.
WATCH | Blue Jays players in Toronto preparing for upcoming shortened MLB season:
Currently, the Jays players who had been training in Florida are isolating at the Toronto Marriott City Centre Hotel, which is attached to the Rogers Centre, where they’ve been cleared to practice.
At least one Jays player is still in Florida after testing positive for COVID-19, although the team won’t say who that is.
The Blue Jays were granted special permission to return to Canada by local, provincial and federal officials to conduct pre-season training.
The Blue Jays are still awaiting clearance to play home games in Toronto. A shortened Major League Baseball season is set to begin on July 23, and manager Charlie Montoyo says the team is hungry to play.
Tellez wasn’t the only Blue Jay accused of not paying rent.
First base coach Mark Budzinski is still locked in a dispute with his landlord, Derrick Thomas.
Budzinski signed a six-month lease with Thomas earlier this year, but after making three payments, he stopped paying his $3,100 a month rent for a condo a block from Rogers Centre.
Budzinski is currently taking Thomas to Ontario’s Landlord and Tenant Board, which handles rental disputes.
He wants the $9,300 he’s paid in rent so far returned, and the remainder of the six-month lease terminated.
Budzinski has argued he was unable to use the condo due to border restrictions and the fact the baseball season was on hold.
A date has yet to be set for the hearing. His legal representative has told CBC News, the coach will respect any decision the board makes.
It’s unclear if Budzinski is in Toronto or if he remains in Florida.
The Blue Jays did not respond to prior questions about the rent situations.
Tiger Woods announced on Thursday that he will compete at next week’s Memorial Tournament in Dublin, Ohio, the 15-time major champion’s first PGA Tour event in five months.
“I’m looking forward to playing in the @MemorialGolf next week,” Woods said on his Twitter account. “I’ve missed going out and competing with the guys and can’t wait to get back out there.”
Woods last competed on the PGA Tour in mid-February when he labored through a final-round 77 at the Genesis Invitational where he finished last among players who made the cut.
The 44-year-old reigning Masters champion then skipped a number of events with back issues prior to the PGA Tour’s three-month COVID-19 hiatus that began in mid-March and opted to sit out the circuit’s first five events since the break.
Woods, who is one win shy of a record-breaking 83 PGA Tour victories, did play a May 24 charity match with Phil Mickelson and Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.
The Memorial Tournament at Muirfield Village is one of the most high-profile, non-major events on the PGA Tour and Woods has triumphed there a record five times, most recently in 2012.
Woods will be part of a loaded field that also includes world number one Rory McIlroy, five-times major champion Phil Mickelson, 2018 Memorial champion Bryson DeChambeau and major winners Dustin Johnson and Sergio Garcia.
The July 16-19 tournament was originally supposed to have a limited number of spectators but earlier this week the PGA Tour scrapped plans to let fans attend due to COVID-19.
When the Toronto Blue Jays drafted Austin Martin fifth overall last month, they got a rare skillset that his agent Scott Boras calls “dirt power.”
“Austin is a player that, in past drafts, could’ve likely been the No. 1 pick in the draft. He’s a unique player because he, like Kris Bryant, is so versatile because he can play infield and outfield positions and do it with great comfort,” Boras said during an appearance on Writers Bloc on Thursday. “Plus, his bat has that kind of power that you would expect more from a larger player — more of a corner outfielder — and yet he’s got infield size. We call it ‘dirt power,’ and it’s pretty rare for a player to have dirt power. I think the Blue Jays got themselves something pretty special here.”
Scott Boras on client Austin Martin signing with the Blue Jays
July 09 2020
Boras just successfully negotiated Martin’s first pro baseball contract — a deal worth just over $7 million — and will now see his client jump right into the Blue Jays’ 60-man player pool to join the club in Toronto as they train for a shortened 2020 season.
Looking at the Blue Jays’ young core right now, Boras likes what he sees.
“Mark [Shapiro] and Ross [Atkins] have done a really good job of building a foundational core where they literally have a middle of the lineup that includes players who can play the infield. When you see that in a club, where you’re going to get middle-lineup potential with players who can really fulfill infield spots, that is something that most clubs in baseball don’t have. It also opens the door for you to get slugging players, corner-outfielders, that are often more available in free agency than infielders.”
Boras, who has been critical of the Blue Jays’ dealings in recent years, said their current situation with a young roster now opens the door for management to hunt for free agent pitching and spend money on some bigger, win-now free agents because of the steady, affordable foundation built through drafting and development.
“I would say right now the Blue Jays are really in an excellent position going forward here for the next five, six years,” he said.
Ninja has started streaming Fortnite on YouTube
New coronavirus cases, deaths continue to decline in Canada as cases top 106,400
Montoyo urges Blue Jays to be among teams pulled together by pandemic
MLS returns to action after poignant moment of silence to protest racial injustice
Microsoft Teams unleashes a flood of new features for video meetings
The semiconductor industry is where politics gets real for Taiwan
Calgary hailstorm that caused $1.2B in damage ranks as Canada’s 4th costliest natural disaster
Moderna Completes Enrollment of Phase 2 Study of its mRNA Vaccine Against COVID-19 (mRNA-1273)