Connect with us

Business

Canada begins review of Oxford coronavirus vaccine candidate – Global News

Published

 on


OTTAWA – Canada launched on Friday a real-time review of data from AstraZeneca and Oxford University’s potential COVID-19 vaccine, becoming the latest country to speed up its approval process.

Read more:
Canada signs deal to obtain 20M doses of Oxford coronavirus vaccine candidate

As the battle against the coronavirus pandemic intensifies, with infections and deaths still rising, Canada‘s health ministry said it had received its first submission for authorisation for the vaccine on Thursday.

The aim of a rolling review is to accelerate the process and last month, Canada‘s health minister Patty Hajdu signed an order allowing companies developing vaccines to submit safety and efficacy data and information as they become available.






1:40
Canada signs new coronavirus vaccine deals


Canada signs new coronavirus vaccine deals

Story continues below advertisement

The European Union’s health regulator on Thursday also started a rolling review of the first batch of data for the potential vaccine being worked on by AstraZeneca.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

The British drugmaker and Oxford University did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Read more:
Should the COVID-19 vaccine be mandatory? New poll suggests Canadians are divided

The Canadian ministry will not decide whether to authorize this or any other vaccine until it has received the necessary evidence to support its safety, efficacy and quality, it said

It is also in talks with several vaccine manufacturers and said any company can apply to use the rolling review process.

Last week, Canada agreed to buy up to 20 million doses of the vaccine candidate, one of several deals it has signed to secure around 300 million potential shots as the global death toll from coronavirus exceeds 1 million.


Click to play video 'Coronavirus: AstraZeneca pauses COVID-19 vaccine trial after participant gets unexplained illness'



1:46
Coronavirus: AstraZeneca pauses COVID-19 vaccine trial after participant gets unexplained illness


Coronavirus: AstraZeneca pauses COVID-19 vaccine trial after participant gets unexplained illness

Called AZD1222 or ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, the AstraZeneca vaccine is seen as leading the race to inoculate people against COVID-19. Other vaccine hopefuls in advanced stages include those from Pfizer, Moderna and Sinovac.

Story continues below advertisement

— Reporting by Steve Scherer in Ottawa; additional reporting by Pushkala Aripaka in Bengaluru and Alistair Smout in London; Writing by Josephine Mason in London Editing by Chizu Nomiyama, Mark Potter and Alexander Smith

© 2020 Thomson Reuters

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

COVID outbreaks reported at Jasper Park Lodge, Calgary Superstore and long-term care facility – CTV Toronto

Published

 on


CALGARY —
Jasper Park Lodge is doing a deep clean of the entire hotel and doing “extensive contact tracing” after seven employees tested positive for COVID-19.

Officials say none of the employees who tested positive have been at the hotel for the past seven days or more.

“Alberta Health Services has confirmed that no hotel guests or visitors have been impacted,” read a statement from the company.

“Health officials advise that risk of transmission is low for those who have not been in close contact with these individuals.”

That is one of six outbreaks announced by the province on Friday.

Two new outbreaks were announced in Calgary, one at Revere Mount Royal Long Term Care Home, where 19 cases are active, and at the Real Canadian Superstore in the 3600 block of Westwinds Drive N.E., which has 11 cases.

Six cases were reported at Abstract Dance Academy in Chestermere, all of which have now recovered, and there are 14 cases at the RCMP detachment in Grande Prairie, which are all active.

And there are 15 active cases at the New Life Pentecostal Church in Lethbridge.

An ongoing outbreak at Foothills hospital in Calgary also saw three more healthcare workers test positive.

The province announced 432 new cases of the coronavirus on Friday, which brought the number of active cases in Alberta to 3,651.

Daily and active tallies have set pandemic highs for three and five days straight, respectively.

The bulk of Alberta’s active infections are still in the Edmonton zone with 1,751 cases, but the Calgary zone is closing in on the capital region with 1,307 cases.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Moderna gets 30000 patients for final stage of vaccine trial – BNN

Published

 on


Moderna Inc. has completed enrollment of its 30,000 participants in its final-stage COVID-19 trial, while more than 25,000 volunteers have received their second shot.

The announcement on Thursday is another indication that vaccine trials are moving into their home stretch. Moderna has said it could get an initial readout on whether the vaccine works by late November. The drugmaker is only slightly behind Pfizer Inc., which is working with German biotech BioNTech SE and expects results from its 44,000-person trial as soon as the end of this month.

Moderna shares rose as much as 4.4 per cent on Thursday morning in New York. This year, the stock has more than tripled in value.

Moderna had slowed trial enrollment in September in order to recruit more minorities, a key goal of U.S. health officials. Overall, 37 per cent of volunteers in the trial come from communities of color, the company said. Also, 42 per cent of are at high risk of developing severe cases of Covid-19, either because they are 65 or older or have pre-existing conditions.

Both Moderna and Pfizer say they won’t submit for an emergency-use authorization until they have collected two months of safety data on the participants. That means that even if Pfizer gets positive initial results this month, it won’t submit for an emergency authorization until after it gets the safety results in the third week of November.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Injunction against First Nations land reclamation camp sparks skirmish with police – CBC.ca

Published

 on


Blazing wooden pallets and tires blocked one side of a street leading into a southern Ontario community on Thursday, after a skirmish between police and members of a First Nation land reclamation camp. 

The confrontation in Caledonia, Ont., came hours after a judge granted a permanent injunction against the camp’s presence, which has stopped construction of a subdivision. 

A electrical power pole was also set on fire by members of the Six Nations of the Grand River.

People at the blockade said officers with the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) used a Taser on one person and fired at least one rubber bullet.

The OPP said police cruisers parked on the street were “heavily damaged” by the protest and that officers responded with “appropriate non-lethal force.” There were no injuries and an investigation is underway, the force said on Twitter. Several cruisers had been used to create a buffer zone between the burning blockade and the public.

Camp spokesperson Skyler Williams said the police ignited the situation.

“It’s another example of the OPP coming in here with violent acts of aggression against people that are just occupying their traditional territory. I think all of us are quite sick of it,” he said.

WATCH | An initial confrontation at the scene:

This footage, provided by Six Nations community members, was recorded at the back entrance to the 1492 Land Back Lane reclamation camp, which was set up by members of Six Nations in July to stop a housing development in Caledonia, Ont. 0:47

Williams said the blockade would last until the people decide it should end. 

“As long as they want to keep pulling guns on our people, as long as the OPP wants to keep committing these acts of violence toward us,” he said. 

“Now we have barricades up and people across the country talking about coming here to support what’s going on. I lay this at the feet of the OPP for continuing these violent tactics of peaceful occupiers of their own territory.” 

Behind the buffer zone created by OPP cruisers, a group of local residents gathered, watching the smoke billow into the air as evening fell. 

Lewis Walker, from Caledonia, said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau needs to step in and deal with this long-running conflict. 

Ontario Provincial Police cruisers create a buffer zone between a blockade of burning tires and the public on Thursday in Caledonia. (CBC News)

“Why is the conflict is still going on?” said Walker.

“Deep down inside, this is a federal issue, and we’re tired of it … bring that guy down here.”

Earlier, Ontario Superior Court Justice R.J. Harper granted the injunction sought by Foxgate Development and Haldimand County, the municipality that oversees Caledonia, after removing Williams from the proceedings.

Harper, who insisted that Williams was the leader of the effort, said he showed “contempt” for the court by refusing to obey the previous, temporary injunctions, and by insisting the Cayuga, Ont., courtroom was part of the “colonial” court system.

Harper said the court must acknowledge the “abuses that have been put upon the Aboriginal community.”

However, he added, “claims and grievances in our society … must be done respectfully, must be done in compliance with the orders.”

Skyler Williams, spokesperson for 1492 Land Back Lane, speaks to reporters on the reclamation site following the court ruling. (CBC News)

Members from Six Nations of the Grand River, which sits next to Caledonia about 22 kilometres south of Hamilton, set up the camp in July to stop the construction of the McKenzie Meadows development.

The camp, dubbed 1492 Land Back Lane, was raided by the OPP on Aug. 5, triggering a day of road and railway blockades. Demonstrators set tires ablaze and threw rocks and police fired rubber bullets. 

A senior OPP officer said, in an affidavit filed as part of the injunction, that a second enforcement operation could trigger a stronger reaction that could see railways, bridges and power stations “attacked and damaged in retaliation.” The affidavit also said infrastructure could be targeted in other parts of the country. 

Call for chief to step in

Six Nations member Gowenetoh said she wants to see elected council Chief Mark Hill take a stronger role in the evolving situation and approach the traditional government, the Haudenosaunee Confederacy Chiefs Council, to find a solution.

“He hears our cries,” she said. “He could rectify this. All he needs to do is go knock on the Confederacy door and say, ‘I’m willing to help us get our lands back.'”

The Six Nations members of the reclamation camp have historical records they say show that the land the development sits on was sold by a squatter to a settler who then received a land patent from the colonial authorities in 1853.

Six Nations member Gowenetoh said she wants to see Six Nations elected council Chief Mark Hill take a stronger role. (CBC News)

The property is part of the Haldimand Tract granted to Six Nations of the Grand River in 1784 for allying with the British during the American Revolution. The granted land encompassed 10 kilometres on both sides of the 280-kilometre Grand River which runs through southern Ontario and into Lake Erie. Six Nations now has less than five per cent of its original lands.

The Six Nations elected council has stated that, according to Ontario court decisions, there was no requirement for a private entity like a developer to accommodate Six Nations for developing lands that were taken illegally in the 1800s. Yet, the council said, Foxgate had transferred 17 hectares of land and $352,000 to Six Nations for accommodation.

Foxgate never consulted with the Haudenosaunee Confederacy Chiefs Council, the traditional Six Nations government, before commencing its project. The Confederacy Chiefs Council has supported 1492 Land Back Lane and deems the property to be in a red zone of land over which it contests title.

The Six Nations elected council has an ongoing court case, filed in 1995, against Ottawa and Ontario over lost lands. It is scheduled to go to trial in 2022.

The Six Nations elected council did not respond to a request for comment.

The Haudenosaunee Confederacy Chiefs Council could not be reached for comment.

Haldimand County Mayor Ken Hewitt said the blame fell on the federal government for allowing the situation to fester for decades. 

“The federal government has a huge role to play,” he said.

“It has abdicated its duties over the years in giving the people of Six Nations a platform for them to voice their concerns and push those concerns through a process. That is why we are here today.” 

Hewitt said if Ottawa stepped in to negotiate, it may create a path away from what the OPP says will lead to conflict. 

“I would hope there is enough respect between the two communities and ties between the two communities that we can find a better way to bring this to the front of the federal government,” he said. 

Demonstrators from nearby Six Nations have occupied 1535 McKenzie Road in Caledonia since July. (Dan Taekema/CBC)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending