Connect with us

Business

Coronavirus: Masks to be mandatory at all Real Canadian Superstores starting Aug. 29 – Global News

Published

on


The Real Canadian Superstore will require most customers to wear a mask while shopping, starting Aug. 29.

The move is designed to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

Read more:
Walmart Canada making masks mandatory in all stores starting Aug. 12

The supermarket chain, which is owned by Loblaws Inc., operates dozens of grocery stores from B.C. to Ontario.

“Many municipalities across the country have made masks mandatory in indoor spaces, including our stores,” a Loblaws spokesperson said in an email.

“Experts also believe that wearing masks properly is one of the best ways to reduce the transmission of COVID-19.”






1:25
Employee alleges Loblaws handled COVID-19 outbreak at store poorly


Employee alleges Loblaws handled COVID-19 outbreak at store poorly

The company said that masks would not be mandatory for people who are unable to wear one for medical reasons.

Story continues below advertisement

A number of other major retailers, such as Walmart Canada, have already moved to make masks mandatory for shoppers.

Read more:
Loblaws employees say stores are handling COVID-19 unsafely, putting them at risk

Some Canadian jurisdictions have also made masks mandatory in public places. However, others, like British Columbia, have not.

Public health officials say wearing a mask can reduce the risk of transmitting COVID-19 to others by preventing the spread of infected droplets.

Mask wearing is still considered a secondary precaution, and less effective than physical distancing.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

US Reportedly Curbs Exports From Chinese Chipmaker SMIC For ‘Unacceptable Risks’ – Sputnik International

Published

on


Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp

Previously, reports suggested the US Department of Defense was considering adding Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC) to an Entity List along with Huawei, ZTE and more than 70 Chinese tech firms, barred from doing business with US firms without a licence, as part of the ongoing trade war between Washington and Beijing.

The United States Department of Commerce has reportedly sanctioned China’s biggest chipmaker, Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC), curbing exports from the company, according to a letter cited by the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) on Saturday.

According to the Commerce Department’s dispatch to the Shanghai-based firm, the WSJ reports, US companies will now need a licence to export certain products to China’s largest chipmaker, because of the “unacceptable risk” that SMIC products could be used for military purposes.

An SMIC spokeswoman cited by the WSJ said in an emailed statement that the firm had not yet received an official notice of the sanctions and was looking into the situation.

The chipmaker reiterated that it has no relationship with the Chinese armed forces and does not manufacture goods for any military end-users or uses.

There has not been any official comment on the report from the US Commerce Department.

Escalated US Attack

Earlier reports in September suggested the Trump administration was considering adding the firm to a government Entity List along with Huawei, ZTE and more than 70 Chinese tech firms which are barred from conducting business with US firms.

Adding SMIC to the Commerce Department’s so-called entity list would in effect target exports from a broader set of companies.

“The military end-use rules only apply to a subset of listed US origin items. The Entity List rules apply to all US origin and some foreign-origin items,” said Kevin Wolf, an export control lawyer at Akin Gump and senior Commerce Department official in the Obama administration, as cited by Bloomberg.

Around 50 per cent of SMIC’s equipment originates from the US, with the company having a market value of more than $29 billion, according to Bloomberg data, with US chipmakers Qualcomm Inc. and Broadcom Inc. among SMIC’s customers.

“Should the US export ban on SMIC materialise, it will signal an escalated attack by the US on China’s semiconductor industry and more Chinese companies will likely be included,” analyst Edison Lee of the American multinational independent investment bank and financial services company Jefferies said.

‘Blatant Bullying’

In the wake of the above-mentioned reports, the Chinese semiconductor company reiterated that it strictly abides by the laws and regulations of relevant nations while having maintained cooperative relations with global chipmaking equipment suppliers for years.

“Any assumptions of the company’s ties with the Chinese military are untrue statements and false accusations. The Company is in complete shock and perplexity at the news. Nevertheless, SMIC is open to sincere and transparent communication with the US Government agencies in hope of resolving potential misunderstandings,” SMIC said in a statement on its website.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian slammed Washington over “blatant bullying.”

“What it has done is violated international trade rules, undermined global industrial supply and value chains and will inevitably hurt US national interests and its own image,” Zhao told a news briefing in Beijing.

China’s Tech Giants in the Crosshairs

The US Department of Commerce added dozens of internationally based Huawei affiliates to its Entity list in August 2020, restricting their ability to do business with American firms. The decision expanded on rules issued in May subjecting companies to enhanced licensing requirements if they sold third-party computer chips or chip designs to Huawei that rely on US software or manufacturing equipment.

Back in 2019 the department essentially banned US companies from selling parts and components to 68 Huawei affiliates, allowing, however, for temporary waivers that enabled limited transactions to ease the transition for American suppliers.

Those waivers expired in August 2020, with a fresh order subjecting an additional 38 Huawei affiliates around the world to similar restrictions.

Fresh measures on the part of Washington could block Huawei from gaining access to chipsets, in yet another stinging blow to the Shenzhen-based tech giant.


©
REUTERS / Dado Ruvic
A smartphone with the Huawei and 5G network logo is seen on a PC motherboard in this illustration picture taken January 29, 2020

Earlier this month China had launched plans to boost the mainland chipmaker and others, seeking to distance itself from US technologies.

Sanctions targeting the Chinese partially state-owned publicly-listed semiconductor foundry company, SMIC, would come as yet another step in the escalating tensions between the US and China, that have been exchanging invective on issues ranging from trade, their respective governments’ handling of the coronavirus pandemic, and perceived threats to intellectual property and national security.

The Trump administration began its onslaught by blacklisting Huawei Technologies Co., preventing the giant Chinese telecommunications provider from buying components from American suppliers and pressuring allies to follow suit.


©
REUTERS / Florence Lo/Illustration
China and U.S. flags are seen near a TikTok logo in this illustration picture taken July 16, 2020. REUTERS/Florence Lo/Illustration

Subsequently, President Donald Trump threatened to ban the video app TikTok from China’s ByteDance Ltd. if the service weren’t sold to American owners, sparking indignation among Chinese executives and government officials, who have repeatedly dismissed all allegations of spying and presenting a security threat.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Recall notice issued on spaghetti sauce that could cause botulism – Montreal Gazette

Published

on


Article content

A brand of spaghetti sauce sold in Quebec has been recalled by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

The sauce, made by Érablière Godbout, could cause botulism, according to an advisory by the agency.

The sauce did not have a “keep refrigerated” label on the jars.

The spaghetti sauce, which was sold in 500 millilitre and one litre jars, should be returned to the store or thrown out.

No one has fallen ill after eating the sauce, but the recall has been ordered as a precaution, the agency said in a news release.

Symptoms in adults can include facial paralysis or loss of facial expression, fixed pupils, difficulty swallowing, drooping eyelids, blurred or double vision, slurred speech and hoarseness.

Symptoms of botulism in children can include difficulty swallowing, slurred speech, generalized weakness and paralysis.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

'Netwalker' ransomware attacks pose challenge for businesses, organizations in Canada – Global News

Published

on


Despite pandemic-imposed rules, the lights of the Liquid Zoo are still on until 2 a.m., which is causing confusion for some residents in Kelowna.

The business, which is known for featuring strippers, is downtown on Kelowna’s Lawrence Avenue.

In early September, Dr. Bonnie Henry ordered businesses to stop operating as nightclubs.

Read more:
B.C. bars and restaurants call for clarity around new COVID-19 restrictions

She also said that last call must be at 10 p.m., and unless a full meal service is provided, businesses must close by 11 p.m.

A bouncer at Liquid Zoo’s door on Friday night could be heard telling guests that they could order a bunch of drinks for last call at 10 p.m. and keep drinking until 2 a.m.

Story continues below advertisement

The Liquid Zoo was not available for an on-camera interview with Global News on Sunday.

Read more:
Nightclubs, banquet halls in B.C. ordered closed again as COVID-19 cases rise

However, the business said guests are restricted to ordering two drinks at last call but can sip them until 2 a.m.

The business also said that it has stopped operating as a nightclub and isn’t doing anything illegal.

Liquid Zoo said it offers a full food menu, which means it can remain open until 2 a.m.

The business said it’s had scrutiny from RCMP, Interior Health and bylaw officers.

Read more:
Bars vs. schools? WHO says countries must choose, but it’s not cut and dried

Although the public health order does say that liquor must not be consumed on premises by owners, operators or staff after 11 p.m., it doesn’t explicitly say that guests must finish their drinks before then.

Interior Health said its public health teams will be investigating the situation.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending