Connect with us

Health

COVID-19: Central zone active cases up Monday – Ponoka News – Ponoka News

Published

 on


Alberta confirmed 1,440 COVID-19 cases from over the weekend and seven additional deaths.

The cases are: 364 on Friday, 572 on Saturday and 504 on Sunday. The Saturday case number is another record for the province.

That’s identifying, on average, 480 COVID-19 cases over the weekend, said Dr. Deena Hinshaw, chief medical officer of health.

She said one of the challenges is to find a balance between minimizing the risk of COVID-19 and minimizing the risk of harms of restrictions.

“This requires us to keep the spread of COVID-19 manageable. We’ve now crossed a tipping point and are losing the balance we’ve been seeking,” said Hinshaw.

The government imposed new temporary mandatory limits Monday – of 15 people – at most social gatherings for the City of Calgary and Edmonton.

In total, 118 people in Alberta are in hospitals with 16 in intensive care.

The total number of active cases in the province sat at 4,477 Monday afternoon up 826 from Friday’s 3,651.

The number of active cases in the central zone jumped to 162 from Friday’s 126. There are three people in hospital in the local zone with none in intensive care.

To date, there have been 953 COVID-19 cases confirmed in the local zone with 783 recoveries.

The deaths were in Edmonton and Calgary zones. The virus-death toll is at 307.

The City of Red Deer’s active cases sits at 39 up from Friday’s 31.

A letter was sent Monday to families alerting them of a positive case of the virus at Gateway Christian School in Red Deer.

On Monday, Red Deer’s Hunting Hills High School was on province’s watch list.

Red Deer County had 10 active cases Monday afternoon, two in Town of Sylvan Lake, six in Lacombe County, one in the City of Lacombe, 45 in Ponoka County, two in County of Wetaskiwin, and 11 in City of Wetaskiwin.

There were two active cases in the Town of Olds, three in Clearwater County, five in Kneehill County, four in Camrose County, six in City of Camrose and one in Town of Drumheller.

There are no active cases in Mountain View County, Starland County and County of Stettler.

One of the challenges of the increasing active case numbers is it creates pressure on COVID-19 response including contact-tracing, said Hinshaw.

She said Alberta is also challenged between polarizing views on the virus: on one hand “we have to drive to zero cases” and on another “COVID is a mild illness for most so we should let it spread freely and pursue herd immunity.”

“COVID is a novel disease that is not just the flu,” Hinshaw said. “It has the ability to overwhelm our health system and weaken essential services if we let it do so.”

She encouraged Albertans to maintain respectful dialogue and to not let COVID-19 divide the province.



mamta.lulla@reddeeradvocate.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Coronavirus

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

New Brunswick leaves Atlantic bubble as Nova Scotia reports 14 new COVID-19 cases Thursday – TheChronicleHerald.ca

Published

 on


Nova Scotia is reporting 14 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, bringing the total number of active cases in the province to 114.

Twelve of the new cases are in the central health zone, which includes Halifax, Eastern Shore and West Hants. The other remaining cases are in the northern zone and the western zone.

It’s not clear whether the new cases are related to previously reported ones.

In a live briefing Thursday, Blair Higgs, the premier of New Brunswick, announced that New Brunswick will leave the Atlantic bubble.

“Effective midnight tonight, we’re resorting back to our original 14-days isolation for anyone from anywhere travelling into New Brunswick,” he said.

Exemptions for essential travel will continue, he added.

New Brunswick is the third province to reinstate the 14-day isolation for travellers from within Atlantic Canada. Newfoundland and Labrador and P.E.I. made the changes on Monday.

Negative, left, and positive rapid tests are seen at the rapid-testing pop-up site in the Richard Murray Design Building in Halifax on Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2020. – Tim Krochak

Nova Scotia Health Authority’s labs completed 2,253 Nova Scotia tests on Wednesday, the highest number of tests reported to date. There were 856 tests administered at the rapid-testing pop-up site in downtown Halifax on that day.

Five presumptive positive cases were identified at the pop-up site. The individuals were directed to self-isolate and have been referred for a standard test. Cases identified through rapid testing won’t be added to the total number of cases until they are confirmed by a standard test.

Rapid-testing clinics are targeted at people in the 18-35 age group or those who have been to or work at a bar in the Halifax Regional Municipality. Locations and times of the pop-up clinics, which could change every time, are announced on social media.

“We’ve seen a great uptake for asymptomatic testing among Halifax bar staff and patrons. People are showing us how much they care about their communities by going to these pop-up rapid testing locations,” said Dr. Robert Strang, chief medical officer of health in a news release. “This has allowed us to detect a few cases among asymptomatic people early on and helps to stop the spread of the virus.”

Late Wednesday evening, the Department of Health and Wellness released a new list of potential exposure sites, which includes numerous establishments across Halifax. And on Thursday evening, an additional six locations were added:

  • Stillwell (1672 Barrington St., Halifax) on Nov. 20 between 6 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. Watch for symptoms up to and including Dec. 4.
  • Bearly’s House of Blues and Ribs (1269 Barrington St., Halifax) on Nov. 20 between 8:30 p.m. and 2 a.m. Watch for symptoms up to and including Dec. 4.
  • Highwayman (1673 Barrington St., Halifax) on Nov. 21 between 7:30 p.m. and 12 a.m. Watch for symptoms up to and including Dec. 5.
  • Gahan House (5239 Sackville St., Halifax) on Nov. 21 between 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Watch for symptoms up to and including Dec. 5.
  • Princess Nails (1475 Bedford Highway, Bedford) on Nov. 21 between 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.  Watch for symptoms up to and including Dec. 5.
  • Boston Pizza Dartmouth Crossing (111 Shubie Dr., Dartmouth) on Nov. 20 between 6:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. and Nov. 22 between 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.  Watch for symptoms up to and including Dec. 6.

The department has created a new website that lists all of the potential exposure sites so far. There were 132 locations on the list as of Thursday evening. 

Starting today, new public health restrictions have come into effect in the Halifax and Hants counties. They include the closure of licensed establishments and bars for dine-in. Museums, libraries, and fitness and recreational facilities are also closed.

Over the past two months, Nova Scotia has had 167 positive COVID-19 cases, 38,434 negative test results. No one is currently in hospital.

A rapid COVID-19 test being administered at a pop-up COVID-19 testing site in the Ricard Murray Design Building on Morris Street in Halifax on Tuesday Nov. 24, 2020. -  - Tim Krochak
A rapid COVID-19 test being administered at a pop-up COVID-19 testing site in the Ricard Murray Design Building on Morris Street in Halifax on Tuesday Nov. 24, 2020. – – Tim Krochak

Numbers in Atlantic Canada

New Brunswick has 105 active cases as it reported 12 new cases Thursday.

Newfoundland and Labrador reported three new cases on Thursday, bringing the total number of active cases to 28.

Prince Edward Island has two active cases. No new cases were reported Thursday.

COVID-19 symptoms

Anyone who is currently experiencing or has experienced within the last 48 hours one of the following symptoms should visit https://covid-self-assessment.novascotia.ca for a self-assessment:

  • new or worsening cough
  • fever (i.e. chills or sweats)

People should also visit the website if they are experiencing two or more of the following symptoms (new or worsening):

  • sore throat
  • runny nose or nasal congestion
  • headache
  • shortness of breath

People can also call 811 if they can’t access the website or if they wish to speak to a nurse. Anyone experiencing symptoms should self-isolate until they receive advice from Public Health on what to do next.

Online booking for COVID-19 tests is available for all primary assessment sites. The swish and gargle COVID-19 test is available at all centres for children aged four to 18.

RELATED:

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

What you need to know about COVID-19 in B.C. for Nov. 27 – CBC.ca

Published

 on


THE LATEST:

  • Health officials will provide their daily update in a live briefing at 3 p.m. PT.
  • 887 new cases of COVID-19 were announced on Thursday, along with 13 more deaths.
  • There have been 29,973 confirmed cases in the province to date.
  • There are 7,899 people with active cases of the disease across B.C.
  • 294 patients are in hospital with COVID-19, including 64 in intensive care.
  • 384 people have now died of the disease.

B.C.’s second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic is showing no signs of slowing, with another 887 new cases confirmed on Thursday and 13 more deaths.

That brings the number of active cases in the province to 7,899. A total of 294 patients are in hospital with COVID-19, including 64 in intensive care.

The Fraser Health and Vancouver Coastal Health regions continue to drive this phase of the pandemic, accounting for 88 per cent of the new cases announced Thursday.

In a written statement, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix urged everyone to stick with public health measures meant to stem the spread of the disease.

“Slow and steady is what we need with COVID-19 and it is how we will get through this second wave. The efforts we make each day make a difference,” they said.

Henry and Dix are scheduled to give an update on the pandemic response in a live briefing at 3 p.m. PT.

It comes a little more than a week after strict new restrictions and rules were put in place in B.C., including wide-ranging mask orders for indoor public and retail environments.

Health officials have told British Columbians to pause all social interactions and be vigilant applying different layers of protection, including physical distancing, washing hands and using masks.

READ MORE:

What’s happening elsewhere in Canada

There have now been more than 353,097 cases of COVID-19 in Canada.

On Thursday, federal officials sought to reassure Canadians that they have a plan to procure and distribute millions of COVID-19 vaccines in early 2021. Dr. Howard Njoo, Canada’s deputy chief public health officer, said as many as six million doses could be deployed in the first three months of the new year.

Canada is expected to receive at least 194 million vaccine doses, with contractual options for 220 million more. 

What are the symptoms of COVID-19?

Common symptoms include:

  • Fever.
  • Cough.
  • Tiredness.
  • Shortness of breath.
  • Loss of taste or smell.
  • Headache.

But more serious symptoms can develop, including difficulty breathing and pneumonia.

What should I do if I feel sick?

Use the B.C. Centre for Disease Control’s COVID-19 self-assessment tool. Testing is recommended for anyone with symptoms of cold or flu, even if they’re mild. People with severe difficulty breathing, severe chest pain, difficulty waking up or o​​​​​​ther extreme symptoms should call 911.

What can I do to protect myself?

  • Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly. Keep them clean.
  • Keep your distance from people who are sick.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
  • Wear a mask in indoor public spaces.
  • Be aware of evolving travel advisories to different regions.

More detailed information on the outbreak is available on the federal government’s website.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Province offers grant to Halifax-area businesses ordered closed under new COVID rules – Preeceville Progress

Published

 on


Halifax-area businesses ordered closed in an effort to curb the city’s rising number of COVID-19 cases are getting another round of financial support from the province.

Business Minister Geoff MacLellan said Thursday that the province would offer a one-time grant of up to $5,000 to small, independently owned bars, dine-in restaurants and fitness and leisure centres.

article continues below

The businesses are among those that are now closed for at least the next two weeks under health measures that took effect Thursday.

MacLellan said it’s the third round for a grant which is part of a larger $50-million relief fund for business.

“Those who received this in the past will be fast-tracked,” he told reporters following a cabinet meeting. “If there are any that didn’t apply . . . they still will be eligible.”

Businesses can use the grant money for any operational expenses, such as wages and supplies. To be eligible, businesses must have been operating since March 15. There is no cap on annual revenues.

“It’s not going to solve everyone’s problem. We always wish we could do more,” MacLellan said.

Under the new restrictions, retail stores can remain open, but they have to limit the number of shoppers and staff to 25 per cent or less of their legal capacity.

MacLellan said while retailers aren’t part of the targeted relief package, his department will monitor the impact on their business over what is hoped will be only a two-week period before the measures can be lifted.

The province reported 14 new cases of COVID-19 Thursday, including 12 in the Halifax area, one in the northern health zone and one in the western zone.

It said 856 tests were administered at the rapid-testing site in downtown Halifax on Wednesday, and there were five positive results. The individuals were directed to self-isolate and have been referred for a standard test.

“We’ve seen a great uptake for asymptomatic testing among Halifax bar staff and patrons,” Dr. Robert Strang, chief medical officer of health said in a news release.

“People are showing us how much they care about their communities by going to these pop-up rapid-testing locations. This has allowed us to detect a few cases among asymptomatic people early on and helps to stop the spread of the virus.”

Since Oct. 1, Nova Scotia has reported 167 COVID-19 cases, and it has had 1,257 cases and 65 deaths since the pandemic began.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 26, 2020.

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version said companies had to have between $25,000 and $300,000 in annual sales to be eligible.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending