Connect with us

Health

COVID-19: Gov. says parties, weddings, gatherings putting people at risk – Saskatoon StarPhoenix

Published

 on


Article content continued

The province has only issued such fines four times since a state of emergency was declared in March. Two were for people who failed to self-isolate while they had COVID-19. A third was for the host of a large gathering in Saskatoon attended by more than 40 people, which has since been linked to more than 21 cases. A fourth was for a business that was charged $14,000 for operating despite restrictions ordered by the province.

Premier Scott Moe has recently warned that tougher fines may result for people who either blatantly put others at risk or host gatherings that flout public health orders. The maximum allowed at an indoor gathering is 30 people, and only if there is room for each of them to be six feet apart.

The province reported five cases of COVID-19 and eight recoveries on Thursday. Two of the new cases are in the Saskatoon area and one each are in the central west, Regina and south central regions.

The province also reported that 24 schoolchildren tested positive for COVID-19 between Sept. 14 and 20, the first full week of in-person instruction since classes were moved online near the end of the last school year.

The province said 4,106 children and youth were tested last week, mostly in Saskatoon (1,598) and Regina (825).

Thirteen of the kids who tested positive were in Saskatoon, five were in Regina and three each live in the central and south zones of the province.

There are currently 130 known cases that are considered active in Saskatchewan, eight of whom are receiving in-patient hospital care.

Since March, 1,835 cases have been reported in the province.

On Wednesday the province tested 1,578 people for the virus.

More On This Topic

zvescera@postmedia.com
twitter.com/zakvescera

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19 Update: 898 new cases, four deaths over weekend | Elementary school closes temporarily after outbreak confirmed | Active cases hit new high – Calgary Herald

Published

 on


Article content continued


Monday

Elementary school closes temporarily after outbreak confirmed on weekend; sixth Calgary school added to watch list

Coventry Hills School in northeast Calgary switched to online learning Monday because of staffing issues caused by new COVID-19 infections on Monday, October 19, 2020. Photo by Darren Makowichuk/Postmedia

A northeast Calgary elementary school temporarily closed its doors and switched to online learning today after a COVID-19 outbreak was confirmed on the weekend.

In a statement Sunday to parents, Calgary Board of Education superintendent Christopher Usih said Coventry Hills School (K-3) would close on Monday “following the direction of AHS in identifying close contacts related to a positive case.”

While CBE didn’t specify whether the positive case was a student or teacher, Usih said the closure “is solely due to staffing capacity issues.”

The temporary closure would ensure that substitute teachers can be arranged and “all health measures maintained.”

CBE said it would confirm with families by later today on a return to in-person classes on Tuesday.

John G. Diefenbaker became the sixth Calgary school on Alberta Health Services’ watch list on Monday. There are seven cases at the northwest high school, according to advocacy group Support Our Students’ COVID-19 tracker.

At least 98 schools in Calgary have reported a single case since the start of the school year, according to SOS, including 40 schools that have not reported a case in over two weeks.

In communities around Calgary, cases have been reported at four schools in Airdrie, two schools in Chestermere, one school in Langdon and three schools in Okotoks. Cooper’s Crossing School in Airdrie is on watch status, with five or more cases.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Flu shot appointment line opens this evening – Sault Star

Published

 on


A flu shot needle is being prepared.

The Algoma Ontario Health Team phone lines open this evening to start booking appointments for this weekend’s flu shots.

The phones will be staffed today from 5 pm – 8 pm.

Appointments will be booked for flu shot clinics this Friday and Saturday.

Individuals who would like to book a flu clinic appointment may call the AlgomaOHT Flu Clinic at 705-759-7486 between 5 pm – 8 pm, the Tuesday or Wednesday before each clinic.

The clinics will operate on Friday’s and Saturday’s, from October 23, 2020 – November 14, 2020. Clinics will operate from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

For more information go to https://youtu.be/026aixf3VL8 .

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Flu shot roll out begins in November – Prince George Citizen

Published

 on


With COVID-19 still on the loose, Northern Health says it’s now important than ever to get a shot to protect against the spread of the common flu.

And the chance to get one will come as soon as the first week of November when they will be available at most Northern Health flu clinics, pharmacies and doctors offices throughout the region.

article continues below

Not only will it keep you from contracting the bug but ease the load on the medical system.

“Influenza is a contagious respiratory disease that can lead to serious illness, hospitalization and death,” Northern Health said in a statement issued Tuesday.

“If influenza spreads rapidly in communities at the same time as COVID-19 – it can overwhelm the healthcare system and put our loved ones at risk. The best protection is to get the flu shot this fall…and stay home if you are sick.”

To find a flu clinic or provider nearest you, visit ImmunizeBC’s website, or call 811.

You’re also urged to make an appointment to reduce line-ups and maintain safe physical distancing as the COVID-19 pandemic maintains its grip.

Downloading the NH Check In app is also helpful. Found at https://www.northernhealth.ca/services/digital-health/nhcheckin, it lets you wait and check in online from your car, home , or office, lets you notify staff once you’ve arrived, without having to come inside the building and reduces the amount of time you spend in waiting rooms.

The shots are free for children, seniors, pregnant people, Indigenous people, those with underlying medical or chronic health conditions and those who work with or come in close contact with higher-risk groups.

For more information about the flu visit northernhealth.ca.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending