The results of a province-wide survey examining how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted visitation in long-term care homes is set to be released on Tuesday, Nov. 3.
The results of a province-wide survey examining how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted visitation in long-term care homes is set to be released tomorrow.
In August, B.C.’s seniors advocate Isobel Mackenzie announced a survey that sought to speak with seniors in care homes and their loved ones about how the lockdown and visitation policy changes have impacted their lives.
As care homes and long-term care facilities are among some of the easiest places for viruses to spread, lockdowns and single-facility staffing protocols were implemented earlier this spring, along with restrictions on visitation in an effort to halt the virus.
Some seniors went from daily visits to limited visits every two weeks, often from behind a Plexiglass barrier. Many who have died since the start of the pandemic, due to COVID-19 or other reasons, have not been able to have family members by their side or are only permitted to see one relative.
“One of the most heartbreaking sacrifices that has been required of seniors and their loved ones, has been for those 40,000 or so seniors who live in long-term care and assisted living who went without visits for over three months and who are still struggling with our revisited visit limitations that, for some, are bearing very little resemblance to their pre-pandemic visits,” Mackenzie said on Aug. 26.
The survey asked residents and their families to describe what their lives were like pre-pandemic, during the early days of the pandemic when visitors were banned, and in recent weeks, as visitation policies begin to loosen but still remain strict.
At the time the survey was announced in late August, a total of 125 seniors in long-term care and assisted living in B.C. had died due to COVID-19, but 2,000 others had died from unrelated reasons.
As of Nov. 2, a total of 2,430 positive COVID-19 cases in B.C. since the start of the pandemic were in individuals aged 60 and up.
Mackenzie’s office is tasked with monitoring and analyzing seniors services and issues in British Columbia, and frequently forwards recommendations to government and service providers.
The seniors advocate office has been in place since 2014.
Where can I hear the results of the survey?
Mackenzie will share details from the report during a livestream media briefing on Tuesday, Nov. 3 at 10 a.m.
Apple makes another concession on App Store fees – CNBC
Apple said on Monday that companies that offer digital classes or virtual events through iPhone apps won’t have to use Apple’s App Store in-app purchases through June 2021, enabling them to charge their customers directly without Apple’s 30% commission fee.
The extension will help businesses by giving them more time to hold paid digital events rather than in-person events during the Covid-19 pandemic, without the additional fee.
“Although apps are required to offer any paid online group event experiences (one-to-few and one-to-many realtime experiences) through in-app purchase in accordance with App Store Review guideline 3.1.1, we temporarily deferred this requirement with an original deadline of December 2020,” Apple wrote on its developer blog. “To allow additional time for developing in-app purchase solutions, this deadline has been extended to June 30, 2021.”
An Apple spokesperson did not have a comment beyond Monday’s announcement.
The move is the latest olive branch from Apple to critics of the App Store, which say the iPhone giant’s control over the platform and fees are anticompetitive. Apple also announced earlier this month that it planned to reduce its commission to 15% for app developers making under $1 million on Apple’s platforms in 2021.
Apple originally waived the in-app purchase requirement for group classes and events in September, after Facebook introduced a paid events feature and tried to include copy inside its apps warning that a cut of transactions for paid events would go to Apple. But at the time, Apple only suspended its fees through December. Monday’s announcement extended it for six more months.
Apple requires iPhone apps to use Apple’s App Store payment processing, which takes 30% of total payments and has been an antitrust focus of policymakers around the world. However, in-person goods, such as ordering a ride through Uber or buying something from an online retailer, are not required to use App Store payments.
In September, Apple clarified that one-to-one person classes through an iPhone app could be billed directly, but any virtual classes where an instructor or group works with multiple people were required to use App Store payments.
The New York Times reported in July that some app makers, such as Airbnb and ClassPass, were switching business models to include more digital classes as in-person experiences were negatively affected by the pandemic, and Apple had asked them to use in-app purchases which entitled them to 30% of the sale.
Apple CEO Tim Cook was asked about the company’s policies around virtual classes and events at a congressional hearing in July by House Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. Jerry Nadler.
“The pandemic is a tragedy, and it’s hurting Americans and many people from all around the world, and we would never take advantage of that,” Cook said. “I believe the cases that you’re talking about are cases where something has moved to a digital service, which technically does need to go through our commission model.”
15 new COVID-19 cases in Huron Perth – BlackburnNews.com
15 new COVID-19 cases in Huron Perth
November 23, 2020 3:11pm
Another 15 cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in Huron and Perth Counties over the weekend. There are two new cases in Howick Township, six in North Perth, three in Stratford and four in Perth East. When it comes to the 40 active cases, one is in Howick, eight in North Perth, 14 in Perth East, and 17 in Stratford.
Huron Perth Public health reported Cedarcroft Place Retirement Residence continues to be in outbreak, and two more residents who had tested positive for COVID-19 passed away since Friday. Eleven residents who had the virus have died. There are thirteen active cases among residents, and 19 residents have recovered. All 19 staff members who had COVID-19 have recovered.
There are no active long-term care home outbreaks and no active school outbreaks
Huron Peth Public health is clarifying why the region is now at the Orange-Restrict level of public health measures. Some of the factors include rates of cases and hospital capacity locally and in neighbouring regions.
It also looks at the rates of cases without a known chain of transmission, which suggests community transmission. And the ability to keep up with contact and case management.
Western News – Western cadre key to computational art in Canada – Western News
Canadian Real Estate Prices Surge In Growth… Except For Condos – Better Dwelling
Bank of Canada deputy downplays risks of consumer default wave – BNN
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Galaxy M31 July 2020 security update brings Glance, a content-driven lockscreen wallpaper service
- Health22 hours ago
Alberta reports more COVID-19 cases on Sunday than any other province – CTV Edmonton
- News24 hours ago
Canada Post calls in reinforcements to meet historic demand – CBC.ca
- Economy20 hours ago
The Economy: On The Other Side Of The Abyss – Forbes
- Sports23 hours ago
The Raptors’ loss of Serge Ibaka leaves a big hole, on the court and off – Toronto Star
- Media23 hours ago
China planning new policies to take on ageing population: state media – TheChronicleHerald.ca
- Sports24 hours ago
Thiem gets past Djokovic in 3-set semifinal at ATP Finals – TSN
- Art20 hours ago
Vancouver Art Gallery's fall lineup shows there's more to Victor Vasarely's universal visual language – Ubyssey Online
- Investment23 hours ago
Mauricio Vila highlights the ideal conditions that Yucatan has to attract investment – The Yucatan Times