Connect with us

Health

Henry announces new, B.C.-made COVID test alternative to nasal swab – Bowen Island Undercurrent

Published

 on


When provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry gave her daily COVID-19 update, she was noticeably perturbed that British Columbia had reached a new high of 165 cases.

However, that soon turned to optimism as she began to highlight the great cooperative nature of B.C.’s health authorities, post-secondary institutions and businesses.

article continues below

Henry announced that through these collaborative efforts a new, innovative COVID-19 testing solution had been developed. Not only is the new test less invasive and less uncomfortable than traditional COVID-19 testing methods, but as a B.C. made solution it also reduces our reliance on the global market and global supply chains said Henry.

“On a positive note, we have some exciting new testing that we are able to provide for students in British Columbia,” said Henry. “Now for K-12 students we have an easier alternative than the nasopharyngeal swab that has been the standard. Today a new made-in-B.C. sample collection program has been launched for all k-12 students across the province and it is one of the first of its kind around the world.”

British Columbians aged four to 19 will now have the ability to gargle with sterile water and spit into a tube in order to be tested for COVID-19 rather than having a swab stuck up the nose to the back of their throat. Unlike the traditional swab, the saline gargle solution is not only more comfortable, but it does not need to be administered by a healthcare professional. Henry said that the focus on children is a matter of supply.

Henry thanked both scientists and businesses for their work in developing this new means of testing and making it accessible to students in British Columbia.

Despite this good news, there was one additional death of a senior in long term care in the Vancouver health region. There are also two new healthcare related outbreaks both in acute care units, one at the Delta Hospital and another at the rehab unit at the Peace Arch Hospital in Fraser Health. This brings the total number of active healthcare outbreaks to 15 with 802 active cases, 478 residents and 324 staff.

Bonnie Henry said that there are no new community outbreaks but the province continues to have exposure events.

There are no outbreaks in schools, at this point however Henry has said that there have been some teachers and students who have been in a school setting when they might have been infectious to others. Henry said that this was to be expected and that none of these have been high-risk exposures. Henry also reminded parents that they will be contacted by public health teams for any exposure or potential exposure, and that families will be contacted if self-isolation is required.

British Columbia COVID-19 numbers as of September 17th:

  • Total cases 7663
  • 1,705 active cases
  • 2714 Vancouver coastal health
  • 3937 Fraser health
  • 196 Vancouver island health
  • 489 Interior health
  • 241 Northern health
  • 86 reside outside of Canada
  • 57 are in hospital
  • 22 critical care/ICU
  • 1 additional death
  • 220 total deaths
  • 2,949 people under active public health monitoring
  • 5,719 people who have recovered from COVID 19

BIV

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Canadian Press NewsAlert: Quebec reaches more than 100,000 total cases of COVID-19 – St. Albert Today

Published

 on


MONTREAL — Quebec reached more than 100,000 total cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, becoming the first province in Canada to hit the somber milestone since the pandemic began in March.

But despite remaining the country’s coronavirus epicentre, public health experts say a recent downward trend of infections is an encouraging sign.

“It’s a moment where we all sit up and say wow, 100,000 – that’s a lot of zeroes,” said Erin Strumpf, an associate professor at McGill University specialized in health economics.

“But again I think the more important thing to be paying attention to is the trend that we’ve been seeing recently in the province.”

The province reported 879 new cases on Sunday, bringing the total to 100,114 infections since the start of the pandemic.

The curve of new infections appears to have flattened over the past few weeks though, Strumpf said in an interview.

That downward trend, she said, coincides with stricter public health guidelines that aimed to stem the spread of the virus.

The government ordered the closure of bars and gyms, among other places, in hard-hit areas and advised residents to limit their contact with people who do not live in their households.

Montreal and Quebec City are among several Quebec regions that remain under the highest COVID-19 alert.

Strumpf said it is hard to pinpoint what exact measures are responsible for flattening the curve, however.

She added that she expects to see many public health restrictions remain in place moving forward. “It’s very difficult to know right now or to predict how long those closures may stay in place,” she said.

Still, the high COVID-19 infection numbers bring up painful memories for Quebecers who lost loved ones during the pandemic.

July Mak, whose 68-year-old father Paul contracted COVID-19 in a long-term care home in Montreal and died at the end of March, said the pain of her father’s death has not eased with time.

“To see these numbers this high… it blows my mind,” Mak said in an interview Sunday.

She said she wants the Quebec government to recognize that its COVID-19 data is more than just numbers — and thousands of people across the province have been directly affected.

“They mattered,” Mak said, about the thousands who have died.

On Sunday, Quebec Health Minister Christian Dube said on Twitter that the number of new infections is “stable but remains high.”

Those cases can turn into hospitalizations and deaths, Dube warned, urging Quebecers to remain vigilant to reduce transmission.

Quebec health officials also reported 11 additional deaths attributed to the novel coronavirus, bringing the total to 6,143.

Five of those additional deaths took place in the past 24 hours, five were reported between Oct. 18-23 and one occurred at an unspecified date.

Hospitalizations went up by two across the province, for a total of 551. Of those, 97 people were in intensive care — an increase of four compared to the previous day.

The province said it conducted 25,378 COVID-19 tests on Friday, the last date for which the testing data is available.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 25, 2020.

Jillian Kestler-D’Amours, The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Sobering milestones: Quebec passes 100,000 COVID-19 mark, Ontario counts highest daily count since pandemic start – National Post

Published

 on


Article content continued

The province’s recent COVID-19 numbers are more encouraging than they were last month, however, said Helene Carabin, a professor at Universite de Montreal.

The population has clearly understood that in order to limit transmission, we have to be more careful

Carabin said Quebec’s COVID-19 reproduction number, which measures the virus’ ability to spread, is slowly creeping lower — a positive sign that indicates people are following public health guidelines.

“The population has clearly understood that in order to limit transmission, we have to be more careful,” she said in an interview.

“We’re going in the right direction, unlike what was the case in September. Now what it tells us is that probably we will continue to have to keep being very careful during the winter months for it not to creep up.”

Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s top public health officer, said in a statement Sunday that a “resurgence” of COVID-19 continues across the country.

Tam said there is a concern that Canada has not yet seen the full impact of the recent increase in COVID-19 cases, as hospitalizations and deaths generally lag behind case numbers.

Canada reported 215,879 total cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, including 9,940 deaths.

Manitoba announced 161 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday and the deaths of four people — two of which were related to an outbreak at a Winnipeg long-term care home where 17 people have now died.

Public health officials in Newfoundland and Labrador reported one new case of COVID-19, while officials in New Brunswick reported two new infections and two additional deaths.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Canadian Press NewsAlert: Quebec reaches more than 100000 total cases of COVID-19 – Kamsack Times

Published

 on


MONTREAL — Quebec reached more than 100,000 total cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, becoming the first province in Canada to hit the somber milestone since the pandemic began in March.

But despite remaining the country’s coronavirus epicentre, public health experts say a recent downward trend of infections is an encouraging sign.

article continues below

“It’s a moment where we all sit up and say wow, 100,000 – that’s a lot of zeroes,” said Erin Strumpf, an associate professor at McGill University specialized in health economics.

“But again I think the more important thing to be paying attention to is the trend that we’ve been seeing recently in the province.”

The province reported 879 new cases on Sunday, bringing the total to 100,114infections since the start of the pandemic.

The curve of new infections appears to have flattened over the past few weeks though, Strumpf said in an interview.

That downward trend, she said, coincides with stricter public health guidelines that aimed to stem the spread of the virus.

The government ordered the closure of bars and gyms, among other places, in hard-hit areas and advised residents to limit their contact with people who do not live in their households.

Montreal and Quebec City are among several Quebec regions that remain under the highest COVID-19 alert.

Strumpf said it is hard to pinpoint what exact measures are responsible for flattening the curve, however.

She added that she expects to see many public health restrictions remain in place moving forward. “It’s very difficult to know right now or to predict how long those closures may stay in place,” she said.

Still, the high COVID-19 infection numbers bring up painful memories for Quebecers who lost loved ones during the pandemic.

July Mak, whose 68-year-old father Paul contracted COVID-19 in a long-term care home in Montreal and died at the end of March, said the pain of her father’s death has not eased with time.

“To see these numbers this high… it blows my mind,” Mak said in an interview Sunday.

She said she wants the Quebec government to recognize that its COVID-19 data is more than just numbers — and thousands of people across the province have been directly affected.

“They mattered,” Mak said, about the thousands who have died.

On Sunday, Quebec Health Minister Christian Dube said on Twitter that the number of new infections is “stable but remains high.”

Those cases can turn into hospitalizations and deaths, Dube warned, urging Quebecers to remain vigilant to reduce transmission.

Quebec health officials also reported 11 additional deaths attributed to the novel coronavirus, bringing the total to 6,143.

Five of those additional deaths took place in the past 24 hours, five were reported between Oct. 18-23 and one occurred at an unspecified date.

Hospitalizations went up by two across the province, for a total of 551. Of those, 97 people were in intensive care — an increase of four compared to the previous day.

The province said it conducted 25,378 COVID-19 tests on Friday, the last date for which the testing data is available.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 25, 2020.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending