Connect with us

Health

Inquiry into Nova Scotia mass killing delays hearings until late January – Coast Reporter

Published

 on


HALIFAX — The commission of inquiry investigating the mass killing in Nova Scotia that claimed 22 lives last year is delaying hearings scheduled for this month until late January.

The commission said in a statement today its team needs time to review thousands of documents and interview witnesses in preparation for the hearings.

It says new witnesses with information about the April 18-19, 2020, killings continue to come forward.

The first phase of hearings aimed at establishing what happened was to begin Oct. 26 in Halifax, but it is now scheduled to open Jan. 25 and run until March 3.

The commission, led by former Nova Scotia chief justice Michael MacDonald, says the delay will give participants more time to review the evidence and will not affect plans to submit an interim report in May and a final report by November 2022.

The RCMP have confirmed that on the night of April 18, 2020, a lone gunman set fire to several homes and killed 13 people in Portapique, N.S., before evading police and killing nine more people the next day.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 13, 2021.

The Canadian Press

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Nova Scotia reports 23 new COVID-19 cases, 26 recoveries – Vancouver Is Awesome

Published

 on


HALIFAX — Nova Scotia is reporting 23 new cases of COVID-19.

Thirteen cases have been identified in the central zone, which includes Halifax, six cases are in the western zone, three cases have been found in the northern zone and one case is in the eastern zone.

Authorities say 26 recoveries have also been reported.

The province now has 160 active infections with 15 people in hospital, four of whom are in intensive care.

Officials also reported that two schools received COVID-19 exposure notices Thursday, both of them in the Amherst area.

And officials continue to monitor an outbreak of the disease in a non-COVID unit at Valley Regional Hospital in Kentville where five cases of COVID-19 have been identified.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 22, 2021.

— 

This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Facebook and Canadian Press News Fellowship.

The Canadian Press

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version based on an erroneous Health Department news release said there were 11 people in hospital.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Get COVID-19 and flu shot at the same time – Windsor Star

Published

 on


Article content

You can get a COVID-19 vaccination and annual flu shot at the same time, Windsor Essex County Health Unit director of health protection Kristy McBeth said Thursday.

Article content

The National Advisory Committee on Immunization, which makes recommendations on the use of vaccines in Canada, recommended recently that the COVID-19 vaccine can be administered at the same time or any time before or after other vaccines, including the flu shot.

Previously, the committee had recommended that COVID-19 vaccines be administered at least 28 days before or 14 days after other shots as a precautionary measure.

After reviewing the evolving evidence on COVID-19 vaccines and considering the extensive data on administering other routine vaccines at the same time or within days of each other, the committee has determined that the earlier, precautionary approach is no longer necessary.

The new recommendation is expected to help the rollout of the flu shot this fall as well as make it easier for people to get  other vaccines they may have missed during the pandemic.

Article content

The flu shot is free in Ontario and available at doctors’ offices and pharmacies. Hospitals, long-term care homes, doctors’ offices, walk-in clinics and pharmacies here have already received their supplies.

People over age 65 and those at risk of complications from flu have been given priority and are receiving the vaccine now. The shot will be available to the general public in November.

The health unit will begin promoting the shot more widely next month.

“We will be doing some extra promotion, urging people to get it,” McBeth told the health unit’s board of directors.

Between 150,000 and 200,000 doses are expected to be administered here this season, up from 97,000 last year.

Ontario has ordered 7.6 million doses this year, 1.4 million more than last year, Health Minister Christine Elliott said Tuesday.

There were few cases of flu last season because many people worked from home, their children learned remotely and the economy and society were locked down.

But more cases are expected this season because many people have returned to offices, schools have reopened and many restrictions have been lifted, allowing people to be out in the community more and to socialize and travel.

People are being urged to get the flu shot to avoid overwhelming hospitals that are still caring for COVID-19 patients.

ajarvis@postmedia.com

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Canada scraps COVID-19 travel advisory; Ontario to end mask, vaccine rules by March

Published

 on

Canada has scrapped an official advisory urging its citizens to shun  non-essential foreign travel, given its successful campaign to inoculate people against COVID-19, the country’s top medical officer said on Friday.

Hours later, Canada’s most populous province, Ontario, issued a timeline to lift all remaining COVID-19 restrictions, with the aim of removing all proof of vaccination and mask requirements by March 2022.

Canada’s travel warning was issued in March 2020, when the COVID-19 pandemic erupted.

Ottawa removed the advice to avoid unnecessary travel late on Thursday, however it is still telling people to avoid cruise ship travel outside of the country.

“The beginnings of the transition away from the more blanket approach really recognizes vaccines are very effective at preventing severe outcome,” Chief Medical Officer Theresa Tam told a briefing.

According to official data, just under 82% of eligible Canadians had been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by Oct 8.

Tam said the latest surveillance data showed “a continued decline in disease activity nationally and in most jurisdictions.”

“Now is not the time to just freely go wherever,” she added, citing high cases of coronavirus in some nations.

Ontario laid out a six-month timeline to lift all COVID-19 restrictions, starting with removing capacity limits in the “vast majority” of public venues on Oct. 25, and culminating in an end to all mask and proof of vaccination requirements by March.

The timeline will be dependent on “the absence of concerning (pandemic) trends,” it said in a statement.

“This plan is built for the long term,” Premier Doug Ford said. “It will guide us safely through the winter and out of this pandemic, while avoiding lockdowns and ensuring we don’t lose the hard-fought gains we have made.”

Ontario spent much of the past 18 months in some form of  lockdown due to high infection rates and hospital bed occupancy of COVID-19 patients.

(Reporting by David Ljunggren in Ottawa and Moira Warburton in Vancouver; Editing by Paul Simao and Bill Berkrot)

Continue Reading

Trending