Connect with us

Media

Media Release – May 18, 2022 – Guelph Police – Guelph Police Service

Published

 on


Cabbie stabbed, male arrested

A Guelph male faces charges after a taxi driver was stabbed in the arm early Wednesday.

Approximately 3:40 a.m. police were called to the downtown area. The victim said he had picked up a male from the south end who requested to go downtown. During the trip the male was making bizarre comments, and when the cab came to a stop on Macdonell Street the driver was stabbed in the upper arm with a small knife.

The driver jumped out of the car, which rolled forward and collided with a bike rack causing approximately $2,000 in damage. The passenger fled on foot but was located a short distance away and arrested.

The victim sustained a small laceration but did not seek medical treatment.

A 30-year-old Guelph male is charged with assault with a weapon and transportation fraud. He was held for a bail hearing Wednesday.

Trucker suspended three days for alcohol level

A tractor-trailer driver was taken off the road for three days Tuesday after he was found to have close to the legal limit of alcohol in his system.

Just after 9 a.m. Guelph Police Service officers were called to the intersection of Elizabeth Street and Arthur Street North, where a truck had knocked down a telephone cable.

While speaking to the driver, an officer detected an odour of alcoholic beverage on his breath. The driver was asked to provide a breath sample into an approved screening device, which registered an alert. Such a reading indicates the driver is close to being over the legal limit.

A 41-year-old Kitchener male faces several Highway Traffic Act charges and had his driver’s licence suspended for three days due to the screening device results.

Charges laid after strangers assaulted

A Guelph male faces charges after strangers, including a female walking with her baby, were sprayed with body spray Tuesday.

Approximately 10:15 a.m., a female was walking with her baby and dog in the area of Kortright Road East and Dimson Avenue when she was approached by a stranger who sprayed an unknown substance – later determined to be body spray – at her.

The male then approached a second stranger in the area and sprayed the same substance at him, before picking up a rake and using that to strike the second victim.

Guelph Police Service officers arrived quickly and located the male.

A 25-year-old Guelph male is charged with assault with a weapon and administering a noxious substance. He will appear in a Guelph court July 8, 2022.

None of the victims were physically injured.

Total calls for service in the last 24 hours – 224

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

S.Korean leader's informal media events are a break with tradition – SaltWire Halifax powered by The Chronicle Herald

Published

 on


By Soo-hyang Choi

SEOUL (Reuters) – South Korean leader Yoon Suk-yeol has departed from years of tradition by holding informal daily media events to field questions on topics ranging from inflation and ties with neighbouring North Korea to the first lady and even boyband BTS.

Such wide-ranging access to the president was previously unheard of. It stems from Yoon’s decision to move his office out of the official Blue House, whose previous occupants largely steered clear of such interactions over more than seven decades.

“It’s apparently helping Yoon dispel worries about his lack of political experience and giving him a sense of where public opinion is at,” said Eom Kyeong-young, a political commentator based in the capital, Seoul.

Yoon, a former prosecutor-general, entered politics just a year ago, before winning the presidency in March by a margin of just 0.7%, the narrowest in South Korea’s history.

Upon his inauguration in May, Yoon moved the presidential office to the compound of South Korea’s defence ministry, describing the official residence as the symbol of an “imperial presidency”, and vowing not to “hide behind” his aides.

His liberal predecessor, Moon Jae-in, had rarely held news conferences, and almost always filtered his communication with the media, and the public, through layers of secretaries.

Analysts see Yoon’s daily freewheeling sessions as part of a broader communications strategy that lets him drive policy initiatives and present himself as a confident, approachable leader.

The campaign has also allayed public suspicions about the newcomer to politics, they say.

Polls show the new strategy helping to win support and much-needed political capital for Yoon in his effort to hasten recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, in a parliament dominated by the opposition Democratic Party.

Although Yoon’s approval rating dipped to 47.6% in a recent survey, slightly lower than the disapproval figure of 47.9%, another June poll showed communication was the reason most frequently cited by those who favoured him.

“The sweeping victory of Yoon’s conservative party in June local elections shows the public is not so much against the new administration,” said Eom.

Incumbents from Yoon’s People Power Party (PPP) defeated challengers for the posts of mayor in the two biggest cities of Seoul and the port city of Busan in that contest, while its candidates won five of seven parliamentary seats.

Eom attributed Yoon’s low approval rating from the beginning of his term to inflation risks that threaten to undermine an economic recovery and his lack of a support base as a new politician.

But some critics say Yoon’s sessions raise the chances that he could make mistakes.

“He could make one mistake a day,” Yun Kun-young of the opposition party wrote on Facebook last week, saying the new practice could be “the biggest risk factor” for the government.

The presidential office could not immediately be reached for comment.

Yoon has already faced criticism for controversial remarks made during the morning briefings, such as one in defence of his nominee for education minister, who has a record of driving under the influence of alcohol years ago.

But the daily meetings and public reaction would ultimately help the government to shape policy better, said Shin Yul, a professor of political science at Myongji University in Seoul.

“It might be burdensome for his aides for now, but will be an advantage in the long term,” Shin said. “A slip of the tongue cannot be a bigger problem than a policy failure.”

(Reporting by Soo-hyang Choi; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Angolan ex-leader dos Santos in intensive care: Portuguese media – Al Jazeera English

Published

 on


Dos Santos, 79, has been receiving medical treatment since 2019. He was president of Angola between 1979 and 2017.

Former Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos, who ruled Africa’s second-biggest oil producer for nearly four decades, is in intensive care at a clinic in Barcelona, Portuguese news agency Lusa has reported, citing a source close to him.

Dos Santos, 79, has been receiving medical treatment since 2019, but his health deteriorated and he was admitted to an intensive care unit, Lusa reported, without saying when it happened.

After a 38-year stint in office that made him one of Africa’s longest-serving leaders, dos Santos stepped down in 2017. His rule was marked by a brutal civil war lasting nearly three decades against the United States-backed UNITA rebels – which he won in 2002 – and a subsequent oil-fuelled boom that enriched elites but did little to alleviate widespread poverty.

He was replaced by Joao Lourenco, who despite being from dos Santos’s People’s Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA), swiftly moved to investigate the allegations of multibillion-dollar corruption during the latter’s stint, targeting the former leader’s children.

The assets of his daughter Isabel dos Santos, often feted as Africa’s richest woman with an estimated worth of $3.5bn as of 2013, have also been frozen by the Angolan government.

Last year, the elder dos Santos returned home for the first time since he went into exile in Barcelona in April 2019.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Media Release – June 24, 2022 – Guelph Police – guelphpolice.ca

Published

 on


Males arrested, drugs and stolen property seized

A large quantity of suspected stolen property and drugs were seized following the arrests Thursday of three Guelph males.

The males were arrested as a result of an ongoing investigation by members of the Guelph Police Service Break Enter Auto Theft (BEAT) Unit. Two of the males were arrested following a vehicle stop, during which police seized quantities of crack cocaine, methamphetamines and hydromorphone, as well as drug packaging and digital scales. Also located in the vehicle was suspected stolen property including power tools and gym equipment and break-in tools including pry bars.

A search of the males’ Waterloo Avenue residence revealed more suspected stolen property including high-end bicycles and several toolboxes or bags full of tools.

Three Guelph males — aged 33, 35 and 55 – face charges including possession for the purpose of trafficking, break and enter, possession of stolen property over $5,000, possessing break and enter tools and possessing identity documents. All three were held for bail hearings Friday.

recovered stolen property

Cash stolen during business break-in

The Guelph Police Service is investigating after cash was stolen from the office of a local business early Friday.

Approximately 3:20 a.m. police were called to a business on Woolwich Street near Speedvale Avenue West. The owner was reporting a break-in two hours earlier.

Video surveillance showed a male arriving at the business approximately 1:15 a.m. and using a tool to pry open a door. He attended an office where he pried open a second door and emptied the safe. He was described as wearing a black hoodie with the hood up, blue jeans, white and grey shoes, black gloves and a black backpack.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Constable Mallory Woeller at 519-824-1212, ext. 7462, email her at mwoeller@guelphpolice.ca, leave an anonymous message for Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or leave an anonymous tip online at www.csgw.tips.

Toronto-area males arrested on drug charges

Three Toronto-area males, including one youth, were arrested on drug charges Thursday in Guelph.

Approximately 2:15 p.m., a Guelph Police Service officer observed a silver BMW cutting off other vehicles in the area of Wellington Street West and Wyndham Street South. A traffic stop was conducted and officers could detect a strong smell of cannabis coming from within the vehicle.

A search of the vehicle uncovered an open package of cannabis in the glovebox and a grinder contaminated with cannabis residue in the cupholder, as well as 85 Percocet tablets in the console and more than $1,700 cash inside a lunch bag.

A 22-year-old Toronto male, a 22-year-old Mississauga male and a 17-year-old Mississauga male are all charged with possessing controlled substances for the purpose of trafficking. They were all released with August court dates. The BMW, which had been rented through a car-sharing app, was towed by police.

Total calls for service in the last 24 hours – 256

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending