Connect with us

Tech

Niagara continues upward trend with 112 new COVID-19 cases – StCatharinesStandard.ca

Published

 on


FREE DIGITAL ACCESS: The Niagara Dailies have made the decision to provide free digital access to essential local coronavirus articles. If you appreciate good journalism, please subscribe to stcatharinesstandard.ca or niagarafallsreview.ca or wellandtribune.ca for unlimited access to all articles.

Niagara’s COVID-19 cases continued their upward trend Friday with 112 new cases reported, a day before Niagara and all of Ontario return to grey-style shutdown for the next four weeks.

The number of active cases also rose to 685, a number that the region hasn’t seen since the beginning of February.

People aged 20-39 now account for nearly half of all active cases with 293, while the number of instances in residents aged over 80 has dropped to 13.

The Niagara Catholic District School board reported Friday that one individual has tested positive for COVID-19 at each of Loretto Catholic Elementary, Our Lady of Victory Catholic Elementary, St. Alexander Catholic Elementary, St. John Bosco Catholic Elementary, as well as two individuals at St. Mark Catholic Elementary School.

One additional case was reported from the District School Board of Niagara on Thursday at Edith Cavell Public School.

Niagara Region Public Health reported that there are 12 cases of the U.K variant currently in the region.

The health department also reported that four per cent of cases have been hospitalized.

Niagara returns to a shutdown after Queen’s Park announced the province-wide measures Thursday. It means indoor and patio dining at restaurants will be off-limits, and personal services businesses like barbershops, hair salons and gyms must temporarily close.

Churches are scaled back to 15-per-cent capacity indoors and the number of individuals that can maintain at least two metres physical distancing outdoors.

Retail stores remain open but with limitations. Groceries, convenience stores and pharmacies are allowed 50 per cent capacity, while all other retailers are limited to 25 per cent capacity.

Loading…

Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

European Union could force all smartphone manufacturers to use USB-C charging – MobileSyrup

Published

 on


Europe could soon require all smartphone manufacturers to use USB-C charging, according to a new EU Commission ruling proposal.

The commission says the proposal aims to reduce e-waste and the “consumer inconvenience” resulting from different chargers. The commission also mentions that it wants manufacturers to stop selling chargers alongside electronic devices to minimize e-waste further.

“With today’s proposal… USB-C will become the standard port for all smartphones, tablets, cameras, headphones, portable speakers and handheld videogame consoles,” reads the report.

The report then says that it has reduced the number of mobile chargers in Europe from 30 to just three, with Apple’s proprietary Lightning port part of the smaller list. The report states that roughly 20 percent of devices sold in Europe feature the Lightning port, but that the EU wants to change this — possibly by forcing Apple to adopt USB-C.

EU executive vice president Margrethe Vestager made the following statement in the report:

“European consumers were frustrated long enough about incompatible chargers piling up in their drawers. We gave industry plenty of time to come up with their own solutions, now time is ripe for legislative action for a common charger. This is an important win for our consumers and environment and in line with our green and digital ambitions.”

As you may have already guessed, Apple has resisted the shift to USB-C in the past concerning the EU’s efforts. For example, last year, when the organization voted on the concept of a standard charger, Apple released a statement stating that adopting USB-C would “stifle innovation.”

In a statement to the BBC, Apple said, “We remain concerned that strict regulation mandating just one type of connector stifles innovation rather than encouraging it, which in turn will harm consumers in Europe and around the world.”

With the release of the iPhone 12, Apple stopped including a charging brick in the box of its smartphones, citing environmental concerns related to materials and shipping costs. This move also likely saved the tech giant a lot of money. The company has also shifted to USB-C charging with several of its other devices, including Macs, most iPad models and its accompanying ecosystem of accessories. Some Android devices from companies like Samsung, for example, also no longer include chargers in their boxes.

It’s unclear if this law will go through, given it’s still in the proposal stages and must first be passed by lawmakers and several governments. However, it’s possible that in a few years, Apple could be forced to adopt USB-C for the iPhones it sells in Europe.

Source: European Union, BBC Via: Engadget

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Nintendo Switch Online will add N64 and Mega Drive games with a new subscription plan – Video Games Chronicle

Published

 on


Nintendo [2,050 articles]” href=”https://www.videogameschronicle.com/platforms/nintendo/”>Nintendo has announced that Nintendo 64 [151 articles]” href=”https://www.videogameschronicle.com/platforms/nintendo/nintendo-64/”>Nintendo 64 and Mega Drive / Genesis games will be added to Nintendo Switch [1,941 articles]” href=”https://www.videogameschronicle.com/platforms/nintendo/switch/”>Switch Online in late October.

A new membership tier called the Expansion Pack will be introduced that adds selections of games from each system.

Special controllers for each system will also be released at $49.99 / €49.99 / £39.99 each.

The Japanese Mega Drive controller will have six buttons, whereas the North American and European version will be the 3-button controller released alongside the console when it originally launched.

Nintendo Switch OLED Model Trailer

The full list of games at launch will be:

Nintendo 64

Nintendo Switch Online will add N64 and Mega Drive games with a new subscription plan

Mega Drive

Nintendo Switch Online will add N64 and Mega Drive games with a new subscription plan
Nintendo Switch Online will add N64 and Mega Drive games with a new subscription plan
Nintendo Switch Online will add N64 and Mega Drive games with a new subscription plan
Nintendo Switch Online will add N64 and Mega Drive games with a new subscription plan

Nintendo has also confirmed some of the Nintendo 64 games that will be added after launch, including:

There was no mention, however, of Game Boy and Game Boy Color games on Switch Online, which had been reported in the past few weeks.

Nintendo discussed expanding the Switch Online library with other platforms as far back as 2019, 12 months after it launched.

During a 2019 shareholder meeting, president Shuntaro Furukawa [145 articles]” href=”https://www.videogameschronicle.com/people/shuntaro-furukawa/”>Shuntaro Furukawa was asked specifically if the company had plans to re-release Nintendo 64 and Nintendo GameCube [174 articles]” href=”https://www.videogameschronicle.com/platforms/nintendo/nintendo-gamecube/”>GameCube software.

“At this place we cannot tell new information about future classic hardware among others, but we are thinking about providing an extension of the online service which is currently providing Famicom [NES] software, as well as other methods of providing them,” he said.

“We also recognise that there are opinions wanting to play past titles.”

.cls-1fill:url(#linear-gradient).cls-2fill:#fff

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

U.S. social audio app Clubhouse launches ‘wave’ feature for private chats

Published

 on

U.S. social audio app Clubhouse launched a feature on Thursday to let users virtually wave at friends inside its audio-only chat app to show they are open to a private chat, in a move to expand beyond public rooms that can have thousands of listeners.

Clubhouse, which pioneered the “social audio” feature that has since been copied by Facebook and Twitter, wants to enable users to have private chats, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Paul Davison told Reuters.

“A lot of people know us for bigger conversations, but the reason people stay so long is they’re finding their friends and meeting new people,” he said in an interview.

Users of Clubhouse, which is backed by venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz, can “wave” at friends online in the app and a private audio chat room will open when a person accepts the wave. The user can then invite more contacts into the private room, or choose to open the chat to the public, Clubhouse said.

 

(Reporting by Sheila Dang in Dallas; Editing by Edmund Blair)

Continue Reading

Trending