TOKYO (AP) — Japan’s government said Thursday a man treated for pneumonia after returning from China has tested positive for the new coronavirus identified as a possible cause of an outbreak in the Chinese city of Wuhan.
The man developed a fever and cough on Jan. 3 while in Wuhan, returned to Japan on Jan. 6, and was hospitalized four days later as the symptoms persisted, with his X-ray image showing signs of pneumonia, the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare said.
Tests conducted Tuesday found the same coronavirus as had been detected in other patients in the Wuhan outbreak, the ministry said.
The man has since been released from hospital as his condition improved. He was only identified as a man in his 30s in the Kanagawa prefecture, west of Tokyo, and Kyodo News agency says he is Chinese. His family and medical staff who treated him have not been sickened.
Officials in Wuhan said last weekend 41 people had pneumonia caused by the new coronavirus and a 61-year-old man had died — China’s first known death from the virus. The World Health Organization also has said it was consulting with Thai and Chinese health authorities after a case was reported in Thailand of a Chinese traveler.
Eiji Hinoshita, an official at the ministry’s infectious disease section, told reporters that the man told officials he did not go to the fish market in Wuhan linked to the pneumonia outbreak, but had “close contact” with at least one person with pneumonia symptoms at a place where he stayed during the visit. Ministry officials are checking further the patient’s activity and people he had contact in China and in Japan since his return, Hinoshita said.
The news just ahead of the lunar new year when many Chinese tourists are expected to travel. The ministry is urging those visiting or returning from Wuhan to wear masks and promptly go to medical institutions if they have cough and fever. But officials said the virus is not considered highly contagious and just passing by or talking to patients would not be a concern.
China has sought to play down speculation that it could be a reappearance of the SARS epidemic, which killed hundreds in 2002 and 2003.
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses, some of which cause the common cold. Others found in bats, camels and other animals have evolved to cause more severe illnesses.
Common symptoms include a runny nose, headache, cough and fever. Shortness of breath, chills and body aches are associated with more dangerous kinds of coronaviruses, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Follow Mari Yamaguchi on Twitter at https://www.twitter.com/mariyamaguchi
Manitoba sees 51 new COVID-19 cases on eve of tightened restrictions – Global News
Public health officials in Manitoba are reporting 51 new cases of COVID-19 in the province Sunday, 36 of which are in the Winnipeg health region.
Eight cases have been identified in the Interlake-Eastern health region, four in the Southern Health region, two in the Northern health region and a lone case in the Prairie Mountain Health region.
The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 2.2 per cent, down from 2.3 per cent on Saturday.
Thirteen people are currently in hospital with six in intensive care.
There are now 589 active COVID-19 cases in the province, 490 of which are in the Winnipeg region, according to provincial data.
The province is also warning of a possible school exposure at École Précieux-Sang on Sept. 18.
Public health officials say the virus was not contracted at school and the risk of transmission is low.
Another warning has been issued at Sisler High School after a possible exposure on Sept. 18.
Contact tracing at the high school is underway, with anyone identified as a close contact expected to be contacted and provided instructions for self-isolation by public health officials.
Starting Monday, people in Winnipeg and 17 surrounding metropolitan communities are required to wear masks while in indoor public places as part of ratcheted-up public health restrictions.
Gathering sizes will be pared down to 10 people both indoors and outdoors.
The new rules come after the province announced Winnipeg, along with the municipalities surrounding the city, will move to a level orange restriction Monday, under Manitoba’s colour-coded pandemic response rating system.
The new restrictions will be in place for at least four weeks, including Thanksgiving on Oct. 12, chief public health officer Dr. Brent Roussin said Friday.
Preliminary laboratory testing numbers show 2,234 tests were completed Friday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February to 175,867, the province said in a news release.
As of Sunday morning, the total number of cases in Manitoba is 1,880.
-With files from Erik Pindera and Elisha Dacey
Coronavirus: Increased number of COVID-19 cases in Manitoba linked to Winnipeg bars and restaurants, health official says
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Montreal and Quebec City will enter red zone soon: Dubé – Montreal Gazette
Article content continued
“They’re decisions that will be very difficult, but we have to make them,” Dubé said.
On Sunday, Quebec had 71,901 confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 4,937 were active and 5,825 had died. Of the active cases, 216 were in hospital, and of those 41 were in intensive care. The number of people in hospitals has increased 57 per cent in a week.
A total of 27,380 people tested on Friday, for a cumulative total of 2,260,835 people tested to date.
The rising number of infections underlines the need for people to forgo social gatherings, said Dr. Jay Kaufman, an epidemiologist at McGill University.
Get-togethers with friends and family functions are likely the main cause of the recent uptick in the spread of the virus, which is seeing its highest numbers since cases peaked in April and May, he said.
Montreal and Quebec City will be upgraded to red alert 'in coming days', says Dubé – CBC.ca
Montreal and Quebec City will be upgraded to the highest COVID-19 alert level “in the coming days” according to provincial Health Minister Christian Dubé.
He confirmed the two cities would move from orange to red alert while speaking on Radio-Canada’s popular Sunday night talk show, Tout le monde en parle.
“Montreal and Quebec City are the hardest hit areas at the moment. They’re very close to the red zone,” he said. “We’re going to announce in the coming days because I think we’ve arrived at that point. We’re there and we have to act because people are expecting us to be transparent.”
Dubé said that difficult decisions lie ahead but didn’t give details on exactly what the red zone restrictions would look like.
The number of COVID-19 infections in the province continues to surge, with Quebec reporting 896 new cases on Sunday.
The island of Montreal has the most new cases at 375. The Quebec City area clocks in at 120 and the Montérégie has 83 new cases.
Dubé and public health officials have been calling on people to stop socializing for the next month in order to slow the spread of the virus.
Blue Jays set to play Rays in playoffs after dropping finale to O's – TSN
Apple Watch Series 3 users reporting issues after installing WatchOS 7 – MobileSyrup
Manitoba sees 51 new COVID-19 cases on eve of tightened restrictions – Global News
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Sports22 hours ago
NBA Finals 2020: LeBron James’ 10th trip to the Finals is a reminder of his all-time greatness
- Science23 hours ago
The Moon is rusting, and researchers want to know why – Pattaya Mail
- Health15 hours ago
New COVID-19 cases in Ontario surge to highest level in nearly five months – CTV Toronto
- Politics23 hours ago
Fortnight: The must-read political magazine making a comeback – BBC News
- Economy15 hours ago
Trump says the economy is booming. He's right — but you don't feel it – CNN
- Health17 hours ago
Staffing shortage could close Ottawa schools; parents told to prepare – Newstalk 1010 (iHeartRadio)
- Science24 hours ago
This modular home workout setup fits in your closet, no more excuses to not exercise! – Yanko Design
- Investment18 hours ago
Former blockbuster investment funds fall from grace – Financial Times