Connect with us


Power outages grow as freezing rain hits Nova Scotia –



Power lines and tree branches are covered in ice after a messy storm that brought snow and freezing rain to Nova Scotia on Thursday, resulting in a growing number of outages. 

More than 7,000 Nova Scotia Power customers, most in Halifax Regional Municipality, were in the dark at noon. 

At the peak of the outages at about 11 a.m., freezing rain knocked out power for more than 18,000 customers, most in HRM and smaller outages in Queens Municipality, Ecum Secum and Cape Breton. 

Nova Scotia Power said crews are out trimming branches and working on restoring power, while also preparing for high winds this evening. 

Salt truck crews geared up ahead of time for the storm and have been busy trying to keep roads safe.

“Crews are out in force across the province scraping and salting roads and highways,” the Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal Department said Thursday morning. 

HRM’s parking ban remains in effect from 1-6 a.m. Saturday to allow snow removal crews to continue clearing streets without interference. 

Halifax Regional Police reminded motorists to drive slow down and leave space between vehicles while driving on the slick roads, and to make sure to clear off their entire vehicle of ice and snow. 

The storm aftermath has hampered travel and given many students a long weekend.

Almost all flights in and out of Halifax Stanfield International Airport for this morning are cancelled or delayed, according to its website. Afternoon cancellations were starting to trickle in as the day went on. 

Classes at all public schools in the Annapolis Valley, Cape Breton-Victoria, Chignecto-Central, Halifax, South Shore, Strait and Tri-County regions were cancelled. 

Many private schools for elementary and high school students also closed for the day.

Acadia, Saint Mary’s, Mount Saint Vincent and Cape Breton universities, and the Atlantic School of Theology have cancelled classes. 

NSCAD University has shut down classes for Friday as well as all NSCC campuses, except Burridge and Shelburne which have delayed opening until 9 a.m., and its Wagmatcook Learning Centre. 

All Halifax public library branches have delayed opening until 1 p.m. 

Two AUS curling championship games were moved to 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. because of the weather.

Some municipalities have also postponed curbside waste collection till another day.

SaltWire meteorologist Cindy Day said Thursday that temperatures will rise above freezing in Halifax by Friday morning.

“By (Friday) afternoon, much of mainland Nova Scotia will be on the warmer side of the system,” Day said. 

Along the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia through to Digby is under a rainfall warning, seeing 20-40 millimetres in a short period of time, Day said. 

But roads will go back to being slick after a rapid temperature drop Friday.

“Saturday morning could be nasty,” Day said.

Watch Cindy Day’s latest forecast here

Emergency information:

More to come


Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link


Toronto continues investigation into cause of massive power outage – CP24



Hydro One says it will take “several days” to repair hydro lines that were damaged after an upright crane in the lake slammed into them and caused a massive power outage downtown on Thursday.

The outage occurred in the city’s financial district at around 12:30 p.m., leaving approximately 10,000 customers without power at its peak.

A portion of the Eaton Centre was left in the dark, forcing hundreds of stores to temporarily close. The outage also knocked out power in parts of the Hospital for Sick Children’s campus.

Traffic lights were down in some intersections causing heavy traffic and significant streetcar delays. However, the outage did not affect subways.

Toronto Fire said crews responded to a number of elevator rescues, but no injuries connected to the outage were reported yesterday.

Hydro One says the outage was caused when a barge moving an upright crane in the Port Lands area hit overhead high voltage transmission lines.

“Now, what happened when that crane hit the line resulted in a downstream effect where a surge of power affected a nearby station on the Esplanade that we were actually using to reroute power to Toronto Hydro,” Hydro One Spokesperson Tiziana Baccega Rosa told CP24 Friday morning.

The City of Toronto says the barge was being operated by a subcontractor to Southland-Astaldi Joint Venture (SAJV), which is a contractor for the Ashbridges Bay Treatment Plant outfall project.

Crews were reportedly preparing to move equipment into the lake for the project when the incident occurred.

“We’re going to use stone that needs to be placed out in the lake and the subcontractors were going to do that work for us but they were moving equipment. The event occurred off-site while they were doing their preparatory work,” Lou Di Gironimo, Toronto Water’s general manager told CP24 Friday.


Baccega Rosa said Hydro One crews were able to reroute about 50 per cent of the power shortly after the incident, which resulted in power being restored in some areas quicker than others.

Crews then had to stop their efforts and wait for the fire department to clear the site for workers to safely enter and reroute the rest of the power.


Once crews gained access, they were able to reroute all power to Toronto Hydro and power was fully restored downtown by 8 p.m.

Baccega Rosa said there are established safety protocols to stay a minimum of 10 metres away from power lines, which were not followed yesterday.

“And that’s (for) anyone whether, you know, you’re a barge passing under them (power lines) or if you’re doing work around your house and you need to trim the tree branches around the line connecting your home. You know, everyone was very lucky yesterday that there was not a safety incident and no one was hurt as a result of this,” she said.

The city has launched an investigation into the incident and has requested a full report from SAJV to understand what happened.

“So the big thing that we’re going to look at is what happened? Who was in charge of the subcontractor work? What were the safety procedures in place at the time? And then what exactly happened when the crane hit the wires?,” Di Gironimo said.

Di Gironimo could not confirm if the subcontractors will face any consequences for the incident.

“That will be part of the investigation to find out what happened. What were those precautions that were supposed to be in place. What was followed? What wasn’t?”

He said the city is meeting with SAJV next week and plans to complete the investigation within a matter of weeks.

Adblock test (Why?)

Source link

Continue Reading


B.C. couple still owes $19M despite bankruptcy, appeal court rules – Business in Vancouver



B.C. couple still owes $19M despite bankruptcy, appeal court rules – Economy, Law & Politics | Business in Vancouver

Adblock test (Why?)

Source link

Continue Reading


​Rogers, Shaw formalize planned Freedom sale to Quebecor – BNN Bloomberg



Columnist image

Rogers Communications Inc., Shaw Communications Inc. and Quebecor Inc. announced Friday they reached a definitive agreement for the previously-announced proposed sale of Shaw’s Freedom Mobile wireless business.
The three companies said that the terms of the definitive pact are “substantially consistent” with their original announcement on June 17, when they said Montreal-based Quebecor agreed to pay $2.85 billion to purchase Freedom. Originally, July 15 was the target to reach the definitive agreement.  

“We are very pleased with this agreement, and we are determined to continue building on Freedom’s assets,” said Quebecor president and chief executive officer Pierre Karl Péladeau in a release Friday. “Quebecor has shown that it is the best player to create real competition and disrupt the market.”
The transaction is conditional on Rogers receiving final regulatory approvals for its planned $20-billion takeover of Shaw, which was announced in March 2021.
The road to regulatory approval has become more treacherous for Rogers after Competition Commissioner Matthew Boswell stated his objections to the plan, warning it would diminish competition in the telecom market, notwithstanding Rogers’ long-stated intent to divest Freedom Mobile.
Rogers’ legal counsel has argued vociferously against Boswell’s claims, saying in a June 3 filing with the Competition Tribunal that Boswell’s stance “is unreasonable, contrary to both the economic and fact evidence presented to the Bureau, and not supportable at law.”
The Competition Tribunal is currently scheduled to begin a hearing on the matter Nov. 7.
Rogers also has to clear another regulatory hurdle: its planned acquisition of Shaw requires approval from Innovation, Science and Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, who has previously said he won’t allow the wholesale transfer of Shaw’s wireless assets to Rogers.
The process became more complicated for Rogers after a national network outage knocked out service to its customers in early July.

Champagne subsequently said the outage would “certainly be in [his] mind” when weighing the merit of the Shaw sale.
For its part, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Communications announced its conditional approval of the transaction in March.
Shaw investors have consistently demonstrated skepticism that the deal will go ahead as planned, as evidenced by its shares never once attaining the $40.50-per-share takeover offer from Rogers since the takeover was announced last year.

Adblock test (Why?)

Source link

Continue Reading