In what was ultimately a sporting event as bizarre as the year it capped off, boxing legends Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. returned to the ring in a battle of 50-year-old former champions Saturday night.
After eight two-minute rounds at Los Angeles’ Staples Center, and some impressive displays from both veteran fighters, the bout was ruled a draw by the WBC’s unofficial judges, Christy Martin, Vinny Pazienza and Chad Dawson.
“This is better than fighting for championships,” Tyson said after the heavyweight tilt, the goal of which was to raise money for charity. “We’re humanitarians now. We can do something good for the world. We’ve got to do this again.”
While Jones’ return to the ring was his first since 2018, it was Tyson’s first time back in 15 years. But the man who established himself as one of the most dominant heavyweights in the game back in his prime showed glimpses of the form that made him an undisputed champion decades ago.
“The body shots definitely took a toll,” said Jones post-fight about Tyson’s attack. “It’s something to take the punches that Mike throws. I’m cool with a draw. Maybe we can do it again.”
While the event divided boxing fans between those who saw it as little more than a spectacle and others who were more than willing to indulge for a chance to see two of the sport’s best make their return, chatter about the card on social media — from YouTuber Jake Paul’s knockout win over former NBA guard Nate Robinson to Tyson and Jones’ main-event meeting — made clear the undeniable interest in the event regardless.
The spectacle certainly didn’t disappoint, either, with California legend Snoop Dogg emerging as one of the true winners on the night, his commentary throughout — not short on witty one-liners — drawing rave reviews from the social media crowd.
By the night’s end, the meeting of the two former champs under the lights finished amicably.
“I hit you with some good shots, and you took it,” Tyson told Jones post-fight. “I respect that.”
Re-live all the action below via the Twitterverse’s round-by-round reaction to the fight, from the opening bell to the last:
— ESPN Ringside (@ESPNRingside) November 29, 2020
First Half (Rounds 1-4)
Imagine if they were in their prime. Thank you mike and Roy we needed this. 1 for the culture. And I ain’t complaining.
— Baron Davis (@BaronDavis) November 29, 2020
Snoop “do he really wanna frustrate mike?”
— Trae Young (@TheTraeYoung) November 29, 2020
Second Half (Rounds 4-8)
Think Roy Jones really thought this was an exhibition and Tyson’s fighting for his life #tysonvsjones
— Billy Q (@BillyQMMA) November 29, 2020
— With files from The Associated Press
Dell to Devils after Maple Leafs lose goalie on waivers while Spezza clears – CBC.ca
The Toronto Maple Leafs have lost goaltender Aaron Dell to the waiver wire.
The New Jersey Devils claimed Dell a day after the Maple Leafs put the goaltender on waivers, along with veteran forward Jason Spezza.
The 31-year-old Dell signed a one-year, $800,000 US contract with Toronto in October.
He played in 33 games with the San Jose Sharks in 2019-20, posting a 12-15-3 record.
The native of Airdrie, Alta., had a 48-34-12 record with a 2.76 goals-against average, a .908 save percentage and five shutouts over four seasons with the Sharks.
Spezza cleared waivers and can be assigned to Toronto’s taxi squad.
The Devils have been looking to add goaltending depth behind Mackenzie Blackwood after veteran Corey Crawford retired unexpectedly before the season. New Jersey claimed netminder Eric Comrie from Winnipeg last week.
Meanwhile, Maple Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe says rookie forward Nick Robertson will miss around four weeks with an injury sustained during his NHL debut.
The 19-year-old Robertson was hit into the boards awkwardly by Ottawa’s Drake Batherson in the first period of Toronto’s 3-2 win over the Senators on Saturday.
Keefe told reporters Monday that results of Robertson’s MRI were “better than expected” and that he considers missing around a month to be “good news.”
Robertson was selected by Toronto in the second round, 53rd overall, at the 2019 NHL draft.
'No special treatment': Australia rebuffs tennis stars' quarantine complaints – CTV News
Dozens of tennis stars stuck in hotel quarantine ahead of the Australian Open were told Monday they would get no “special treatment” to leave their rooms to train, despite complaints from some players.
Australian health authorities rejected demands for tough isolation rules to be eased, as players resorted to hitting balls off windows, walls and upturned beds in the hope of being ready for the year’s first Grand Slam.
The Australian Open is due to make a delayed start in Melbourne on February 8, but its troubled build-up hit further problems after positive coronavirus cases were detected on three of the 17 charter flights that carried players and staff.
The 72 players on the three planes have been deemed close contacts of the four COVID-19 cases and barred from leaving their hotel rooms for 14 days, as largely virus-free Australia tries to prevent community transmission.
Health authorities said they discovered two more cases linked to the tournament on Monday, bringing the total for the Australian Open cluster to six.
Several players have taken to social media to complain about conditions.
World number one Novak Djokovic — who arrived on a virus-free flight and is being allowed to train in a bio-secure bubble — reportedly sent a list of demands to tournament organizers that included allowing players to move to private homes with tennis courts.
Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews smashed back that request, saying authorities would not bend strict health rules any further for the players.
“There’s no special treatment here. Because the virus doesn’t treat you specially, so neither do we,” he said.
The arrangements have sparked a backlash in Australia, with some social media users questioning why more than 1,000 players and staff were flown in for the sporting event, when tens of thousands of Australians remain stranded overseas.
The country closed its international border in March and has since limited the number of its own citizens who can return each week.
Meanwhile the majority of players are allowed out to train for five hours a day, unlike other returned travellers who are confined to their hotel rooms for the full 14 days.
Andrews said all players knew about Australia’s strict quarantine rules ahead of their flights.
“The notion that there’s been any change, the notion that people weren’t briefed, I think that argument really has no integrity whatsoever,” he said.
Some pointed out that the host city of Melbourne had endured a gruelling four-month lockdown last year after a virus outbreak.
“Our health safety is more important to us than your feelings of privilege and entitlement,” one Twitter user wrote.
“Most of us here in Melbourne do not want tennis players here potentially reintroducing the virus and causing us to go back to harsh restrictions,” another added.
French player Alize Cornet issued an apology to Australians on Twitter after earlier deleting a tweet that called the quarantine “insane”.
“Your reaction to this tactless comment made me realize what you’ve been through last year & how much you suffered,” she wrote.
“I guess I feel a bit anxious about all this & I better have shut my mouth.”
Staff are dressed in protective gear at a Melbourne hotel housing tennis players
Tennis Australia has begun delivering exercise equipment to the isolated players who are concerned about the risk of injury when they finally hit the courts for a week of lead-in tournaments to start in Melbourne from January 31.
New Zealand player Artem Sitak said he could hear tennis balls hitting the walls “everywhere” in his hotel as players embraced “creative” forms of exercise.
The doubles player told public broadcaster ABC the situation was “not ideal” but he was “staying positive and hoping for the best”.
“I’m trying to do as much as I can — all the stretching, all the exercising and anything I can possibly do — and hoping for the physios when they come out to do some magic here,” he said.
Australian Open: Nick Kyrgios calls Novak Djokovic 'a tool' for requests to break quarantine rules – Yahoo Canada Sports
The waiting is over in the wild rose province. Curling Alberta has made its decision on what teams will represent the province at this year’s Scotties and Brier in the Calgary bubble. Laura Walker, last year’s provincial champion, has accepted the invitation to play at this year’s Scotties. “We were excited to get the call. We wanted to wear the blue and gold and we take so much pride in representing our province,” Walker told CBC Sports. “We know there are many deserving teams in Alberta and we don’t take this honour lightly.” Walker made her Scotties debut in Moose Jaw, Sask., last year and finished with a 3-4 record. On the men’s side, Brendan Bottcher will once again be going to the Brier. Bottcher is last year’s provincial champion. He has played in the last three Brier championship games, losing twice to Brad Gushue, and two years ago to fellow Albertan Kevin Koe. It’s Bottcher’s fifth appearance at the Brier. The decision was made Sunday afternoon by the Curling Alberta board members. Massive repercussions This was a much anticipated decision as it will have massive repercussions on what other teams will attend the national championships. Curling Canada has announced a one-time expanded field for the Scotties and Brier, citing these extraordinary times in the midst of a pandemic as the reason for increasing the field to 18 teams. Normally, there are 16 teams competing at the event. However, Curling Canada has said there will be no wild-card game as it’s unfair to have teams travel all that way and make plans to only play one game. The governing body for the sport wants the best teams in the country at the event. So the first two spots will be determined by the CRTS rankings — the two teams that would normally compete in the wild-card game. The third and final team will be determined through a number of criteria. Kevin Koe, who brought in John Morris to join the team in place of Colton Flasch during the off-season, is ranked sixth. He’ll be at the event. “While we don’t agree with the decision made we are excited to have the opportunity to compete in the Calgary bubble,” Koe told CBC Sports. “Regardless of the uniform we are wearing we are a very motivated team and excited to compete for another Canadian championship and represent all our sponsors and fans.” Mike McEwen’s Manitoba rink is ranked fifth and is also a lock for the event. The last spot would then most likely go to Glenn Howard out of Ontario, as his team is currently ranked ninth. WATCH | Heroux, Jones break down Calgary culring bubble: Women’s side more complicated The women’s side is a tad more complicated. With Walker being named as Alberta representative, that means Tracy Fleury’s Manitoba rink is locked in for one of the spots with her No. 2 ranking. The next team without a Scotties spot is Chelea Carey. Her team disbanded during the off-season — Carey is a free agent. Then it’s Kelsey Rocque’s Alberta rink at No. 5. The issue for Rocque is that she changed two of four players during the off-season — and Curling Canada rules explicitly state three of four members need to return to be eligible. That eliminates the Rocque rink from the two CRTS spots — however, the team might be considered for the third spot. There is a potential situation brewing that could include last year’s world junior champion Mackenzie Zacharias. Her Manitoba rink is ranked 11th. This all comes in the wake of a number of jurisdictions cancelling their playdowns. To date, eight jurisdictions across Canada have now cancelled their playdowns — they include: B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Northern Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia. The final spots are expected to be filled over the next couple of weeks. Women Canada — Kerri Einarson. B.C. — Corryn Brown. Alberta — Laura Walker Saskatchewan — Sherry Anderson. Manitoba — Jennifer Jones. Ontario — Rachel Homan. Northern Ontario — Krysta Burns. Quebec — Laurie St-Georges. Nova Scotia — Jill Brothers. Nunavut — Lori Eddy. Men Canada — Brad Gushue. B.C. — Steve Laycock. Alberta — Brendan Bottcher Saskatchewan — Matt Dunstone. Manitoba — Jason Gunnlaugson. Ontario — John Epping. Northern Ontario — Brad Jacobs. Quebec — Michael Fournier. Yukon — Dustin Mikkelsen. Nunavut — Peter Mackey. There are six major curling events planned for the Calgary curling bubble starting with the Scotties on Feb. 19. That will then lead into the men’s national championship beginning of March. 5. Following these two events, the mixed doubles championship will take place all leading to the men’s world curling championship, set to begin in early April. The final two events held inside the bubble include two Grand Slam of Curling bonspiels.
Texas real estate agent on Capitol riot: 'I'm glad I was there' – NBC News
Ontario's first major COVID-19 vaccination site will pause after just 5 days due to supply shortage – CTV Toronto
Dell to Devils after Maple Leafs lose goalie on waivers while Spezza clears – CBC.ca
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Galaxy M31 July 2020 security update brings Glance, a content-driven lockscreen wallpaper service
Sports18 hours ago
Why the Maple Leafs put Jason Spezza, Aaron Dell on waivers – The Athletic
News24 hours ago
COVID-19 worsening Canadian students' diets, inactivity, alcohol consumption: study – CTV News
Real eState5 hours ago
Avoid These Common Problems with Professional Window Installation
Sports14 hours ago
Drew Brees’ career possibly ends with more Saints playoff sorrow as Tom Brady and Bucs move on
Sports13 hours ago
Saints’ Drew Brees mum on future after playoff loss to Buccaneers
Health14 hours ago
COVID-19 in Ottawa: Fast Facts for Jan. 18, 2021 – CTV Edmonton
Health13 hours ago
What you need to know about COVID-19 in Ottawa on Monday, Jan. 18 – CBC.ca
Sports15 hours ago
FRIESEN: Injury to Laine just latest curveball for Jets – Winnipeg Sun