Connect with us

Health

Scott Moe says he didn’t mean to disparage with work from home comment – Global News

Published

 on


Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe says he didn’t intend to disparage anyone when he said those calling on his government to introduce tougher COVID-19 restrictions are people who can work from home.

Moe made the initial comment in a speech to municipal leaders during a virtual convention earlier in the week.

Read more:
Scott Moe says some calling for tougher COVID-19 measures can work from home

He said Wednesday that the comment wasn’t directed at any particular group.

“I was questioning whether they had properly thought out what the impacts of what they’re advocating for actually are to so many others that don’t have that opportunity,” he said.

The premier said he stands by his words — but he didn’t mean to upset front-line workers or people who are working from home.

Story continues below advertisement

Moe said he should have addressed the impact that lifting restrictions would have on those in health-care.

“We’re not going to just open this up. That would be entirely disrespectful to those folks that are going to work every day, are on the front lines treating patients.”

He rejected the idea that his comment added to a split between those who want to see public-health rules loosened and supporters of tougher measures.

Currently, households can’t have visitors and sports teams are not allowed to have games. Casinos and bingo halls are closed. All other businesses are allowed to be open but under restrictions, such as reduced capacity.

The health order is set to expire on Feb. 19.

Read more:
Saskatchewan police, teachers frustrated with COVID-19 immunization plan

Moe said his Saskatchewan Party government is trying to strike a balance between controlling the spread of the novel coronavirus and keeping as many people working as possible.

“There’s no one place where the majority of infections are coming from,” he said.

“We all need to understand that when you are advocating for something, those consequences might be much more severe to others.”

Story continues below advertisement

In terms of the spread, health officials estimate there are about 18,700 people in Saskatchewan who are infected with COVID-19 but are not showing symptoms.

The Ministry of Health and the Saskatchewan Health Authority said the figure was calculated as part of its modelling to help the province plan its acute-care response to the pandemic.

They said the Jan. 30 estimate, released this week, was put together using different metrics, including case numbers and hospitalizations, and shows why health orders need to be followed even if people think they don’t have the virus.

“There are still a lot of questions … on what asymptomatic infections look like and what they mean in regards to transmission,” said virologist Jason Kindrachuk of the University of Manitoba.

“Can they still spread the virus? Yes. Do we necessarily know how much? No.”

Saskatchewan has the highest rate of active cases per capita in Canada and on Wednesday added another 180 more infections to its caseload. Two more residents died.

Health officials said the number of asymptomatic people in the province is about two per cent of the population at any given time.

Read more:
Saskatchewan estimates it has roughly 18,700 asymptomatic cases of coronavirus

Story continues below advertisement

Kindrachuk said it’s difficult to figure out the difference between people who are infected with COVID-19 — but have no symptoms — and those who are pre-symptomatic.

Doctors and health experts are trying to better understand transmission of more contagious COVID-19 variants, like the mutation found in the United Kingdom, and determine what makes them easier to spread, he said.

So far, three cases of the U.K. variant have been detected in Saskatchewan, but the province said all were travel-related and there is no evidence of community spread.

Alberta and Manitoba have also reported the presence of more concerning variants.

Health officials said the seven-day average of new daily infections in Saskatchewan is hovering slightly above 200, with almost that many people in hospital and 28 of them in intensive care.

Kindrachuk said it’s imperative that policy-makers in the province and beyond closely track how variants move in a community to avoid any spread from getting out of control.

“We can’t rely on vaccination alone to get us through this. Certainly, it’s a part of the equation, but we have to do a lot at the community level to try and curb transmission.”

Advertisement

© 2021 The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

B.C. unveils details of mass vaccination plan, approves four-month window between doses – CHEK

Published

 on


The B.C. government is optimistic that with a longer window between doses and a more storage-friendly vaccine approved for use, everyone in the province 18 years or older will be able to receive a COVID-19 immunization by the end of September or even sooner.

The province provided more concrete details of its sweeping COVID-19 immunization program Monday, giving a glimpse of a potential end to a pandemic entering its second year.

“We can now see the light at the end of what has been a difficult and challenging time for us all. To get us through, we need to continue to work together and support each other,” Dr. Bonnie Henry, provincial health officer, said in a news release.

On Monday, Premier John Horgan revealed that through the end of April, under Phase 2 of the plan, there are more than 415,000 people set to receive their vaccinations including:

  • Seniors over 80
  • Indigenous people over 65
  • Any remaining medical staff and specialists not immunized
  • Vulnerable people in close quarters
  • Those who work in senior community home support and nursing

Those mass vaccinations will begin in the latter half of March, with a call-in system being launched March 8 for those targeted in Phase 2. On the following dates, seniors and Indigenous people can call in to book their appointments:

  • March 8, 2021: Seniors born in or before 1931 (90 years+)/Indigenous peoples born in or
    before 1956 (65 years+)
  • March 15, 2021: Seniors born in or before 1936 (85 years+)
  • March 22, 2021: Seniors born in or before 1941 (80 years+)

Vaccines for that group will begin taking place on March 15. The government is asking people to visit its senior vaccination website for more information on health authority contacts, call-in schedules and step-by-step instructions on how to make an appointment.

The government also revealed that over the weekend, it approved a four-month window between doses one and two of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines because the first dose has been higher than 90 per cent effective after three weeks, with protection lasting four months.

Because of that, more initial doses will be made available to a broader segment of the population sooner, according to the province.

The province has been operating under Phases 1 and 2 of its immunization plan over winter, with the most at-risk and vulnerable populations receiving the vaccine so far.

Also not included in the government’s rollout plan was the recently approved Astra-Zeneca vaccine, which Henry touted as being more “fridge-stable” compared to the current two vaccines in use. She also said it will speed up delivery plans even further. Canada is expected to get 24-million doses of the vaccine between April and September. The province is not yet sure how much of that it will be getting and when.

Once Phases 3 and 4 begin more of the general population will be able to schedule their vaccination appointments by phone or through a government website.

One such immunization clinic was held at the University of Victoria over the weekend, where front-line health care workers received their first doses of the vaccine.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Ontario reports fewest number of coronavirus-related deaths in a single day since late October – CP24 Toronto's Breaking News

Published

 on


Ontario logged just over 1,000 new cases of COVID-19 today and six more virus-related deaths, the lowest single-day death toll reported since late October.

Ontario health officials confirmed 1,023 new cases of the disease caused by the novel coronavirus on Monday, down from 1,062 on Sunday and 1,185 on Saturday. Today’s case count is also lower than the 1,058 infections logged one week ago.

Six new virus-related deaths were confirmed today, the lowest single-day death toll reported since Oct. 28, when just five new deaths were logged in the province.

The rolling seven-day average of new deaths now sits at 16, down from 24 at this point last week.

Just over 35,000 tests were processed over the past 24 hours with the Ministry of Health reporting a provincewide positivity rate of 3.1 per cent today, down from 3.3 per cent last Monday.

The rolling seven-day average of new infections is now 1,099, up from 1,045 last week.

According to the province, there are now 659 patients infected with COVID-19 who are receiving treatment in hospital, up from 646 seven days ago.

The number of patients in intensive care is now 280, down from 289 on Sunday but unchanged from last Monday.

It should be noted that hospitalization data is less reliable early in the week due to gaps in reporting from some hospitals in the province.

The number of active cases of COVID-19 in Ontario is now 10,570, up from 10,335 last Monday. Of the new cases reported today, 280 are in Toronto, 182 are in Peel Region, and 72 are in Ottawa.

New restrictions imposed in 2 Ontario regions

The Thunder Bay and Simcoe-Muskoka public health units are under new restrictions starting today following a surge in COVID-19 infections in both regions. The province activated its so-called “emergency brake” last week to place both public health units into the grey, or “lockdown,” category of its colour-coded reopening framework.

The move forced restaurants to shut down in-person dining once again and close gyms, barbershops, and hair salons.

The rise in cases in those regions has been partially attributed to the circulation of more transmissible COVID-19 variants. The Simcoe-Muskoka District Health Unit is reporting a total of nearly 200 confirmed cases of the B.1.1.7 variant, which was first detected in the United Kingdom. This accounts for more than a third of all confirmed cases involving a variant of concern across Ontario.

The province reported another seven cases of the B.1.1.7 variant on Monday, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 535. There are a total of 27 confirmed B.1.351 variant cases in Ontario along with three of the P.1 variant of concern.

Thousands of additional cases have screened positive for a variant of concern but have not yet undergone full genome sequencing. The province has said it is only a matter of time before the B.1.1.7 variant becomes the dominant strain in Ontario.

The province’s continues to roll out vaccine doses as part of Phase 1 of its COVID-19 vaccination program and starting today, multiple regions of Ontario, including Hamilton and York Region, began inoculating members of the general population over the age of 80. Ontario has administered a total of 704,695 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine to date and 263,214 people have received two doses for full immunization.

The numbers used in this story are found in the Ontario Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 Daily Epidemiologic Summary. The number of cases for any city or region may differ slightly from what is reported by the province, because local units report figures at different times.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus: Latest developments in the Greater Toronto Area on March 1 – Global News

Published

 on


Here are the latest developments on the coronavirus pandemic in the Greater Toronto Area for Monday.


Toronto’s Porter Airlines sets new tentative reopening date of May 19

Toronto’s Porter Airlines has set a new tentative reopening date again of May 19 amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

The airline suspended its operations in March 2020 due to COVID-19 and the restart date has since been pushed several times. The last tentative date was March 29.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
Coronavirus: Toronto’s Porter Airlines sets new tentative reopening date of May 19


Status of cases in the GTA

Ontario reported a total of 1,023 new coronavirus cases on Monday.

Of those:

  • 280 were in Toronto
  • 182 were in Peel Region
  • 47 were in York Region
  • 34 were in Durham Region
  • 39 were in Halton Region


Ontario reports more than 1,000 new coronavirus cases, 6 more deaths

Ontario is reporting 1,023 new coronavirus cases on Monday, bringing the provincial total to 301,839.

Story continues below advertisement

The death toll in the province has risen to 6,986 as six more virus-related fatalities were reported which is the lowest single-day increase in deaths since the end of October.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Resolved cases increased by 939 from the previous day. The government said 35,015 tests were processed in the last 24 hours

Read more:
Ontario reports more than 1,000 new coronavirus cases, 6 more deaths


Cases, deaths and outbreaks in Ontario long-term care homes

According to the Ministry of Long-Term Care, there have been 3,744 deaths reported among residents and patients in long-term care homes across Ontario which is unchanged from yesterday. Eleven virus-related deaths in total have been reported among staff.

There are 106 current outbreaks in homes, which is unchanged from the previous day.

Story continues below advertisement

The ministry also indicated there are currently 80 active cases among long-term care residents and 179 active cases among staff — cases for both have stayed the same in the last 24 hours.


Cases among students and staff at Ontario schools, child care centres

Meanwhile, government figures show there have been a total of 8,563 school-related COVID-19 cases in Ontario to date. This is an increase of 116 more cases in the last day — 99 student cases, 15 staff cases and two were not identified.

The COVID-19 cases are currently from 530 out of 4,828 schools in the province. Twenty schools in Ontario are currently closed as a result of positive cases, the government indicated.

There have been a total of 2,675 confirmed cases within child care centres and homes — an increase of 13 (seven new child cases and six staff cases). Out of 5,264 child care centres in Ontario, 139 currently have cases and 21 centres are closed.

Story continues below advertisement


COVID-19 pandemic zaps electricity usage in Ontario as people stay home

Demand for electricity in Ontario last year fell to levels rarely seen in decades amid shifts in usage patterns caused by pandemic measures, new data show.

The decline came despite a hot summer that had people rushing to crank up the air conditioning at home, the province’s power management agency said.

In all, Ontario used 132.2 terawatt-hours of power in 2020, a decline of 2.9 per cent from 2019.

Read more:
COVID-19 pandemic zaps electricity usage in Ontario as people stay home

NOTE: This story will be updated throughout the day.

— With files from The Canadian Press.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending