Connect with us

Tech

The Morning After: Apple tests iPhone face unlocking that works with a mask – Yahoo Movies Canada

Published

 on


The Canadian Press

‘No other means:’ Nunavut judge acquits abused woman who killed husband

IQALUIT, Nunavut — A Nunavut judge who acquitted a woman of murder for killing her abusive spouse in self-defence is warning that the territory’s cycle of domestic violence will continue unless victims get adequate support. Sandra Ameralik of Gjoa Haven was charged with second-degree murder after she stabbed her spouse and father of her six children, Howie Aaluk, once in the chest with a large kitchen knife during an argument in their home in June 2017. Ameralik was 29-years old and 29 weeks pregnant at the time. She testified at a trial held last October that her husband had physically abused her for years. She told court she was not trying to kill Aaluk that day, but was trying to stop him from hurting her and her baby, and had been aiming for his arm. A foot shorter than her husband, she told court that they had been yelling at each other in the kitchen and he went toward her and told her to stab him. In a decision released Wednesday, Justice Susan Charlesworth ruled that Ameralik was not guilty of second-degree murder or the lesser offence of manslaughter. Ameralik’s defence lawyer, Alison Crowe, said the acquittal is the first in Nunavut in a case using battered woman syndrome as a defence. A 1990 Supreme Court of Canada decision ruled that the syndrome is a legitimate explanation for self-defence in the courts. Gary Magee, the Crown prosecutor in Ameralik’s case, said his office has not yet decided whether to appeal. The judge said in her ruling that Ameralik had suffered years of violence at the hands of Aaluk which, “led to Ms. Ameralik justifiably taking physical action against the deceased as she perceived him to be a threat to her and her unborn child.” “It is clear to me that there were no other means available to Ms. Ameralik to respond to the threat posed by Mr. Aaluk,” Charlesworth wrote. The trial heard that there were several times, going back to 2010, when Aaluk was charged with assaulting Ameralik. Most times, the charges were dropped because she did not attend court. “Ms. Ameralik also said that she usually did not go to court because Mr. Aaluk would tell her to stay home and say she could not find a babysitter, or her children were sick. She said she was afraid if she went to court ‘that he was going to either fight me or hurt me,'” Charlesworth wrote. The judge said there are “systemic shortcomings” in Nunavut’s justice system. “We will not know how the course of this family’s history might have changed had Ms. Ameralik had the support to follow through with testifying against Mr. Aaluk in any of the trials for charges of intimate partner violence that were brought against him,” she said. Statistics Canada figures show police-reported family violence in Nunavut is 10 times the Canadian average. Rebecca Kudloo, president of Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada, said Nunavut’s high rates of domestic violence are not new, but “part of the horrific legacy of colonization, relocation of Inuit, and the effects of residential schooling.” Kudloo pointed out that when Ameralik killed her husband, there was no shelter or safe house in Gjoa Haven. Across Inuit Nunangat, which represents regions of the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Nunavik and Newfoundland and Labrador, 70 per cent of communities do not have shelters for women and children fleeing violence. “Women have no place to go if there’s no shelter. And up North in an isolated community, you can’t just move to another house because all the houses are overcrowded,” Kudloo said. A recent federal government announcement to build five new Inuit-specific shelters is good news, said Kudloo, but more funding for shelters is needed. This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 2, 2021. Emma Tranter, The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Google, Samsung help Android developers sync fitness data between apps – Deccan Herald

Published

 on


Google and Samsung have joined hands to give developers an opportunity to sync users’ health and fitness data between Android apps and their devices.

Called ‘Health Connect’, the platform and API (application programming interface) are for Android app developers to securely access users’ health data.

With user permission, developers can use a single set of APIs to securely access and share health and fitness data across Android devices, Google said in a statement.

“We’re building this new unified platform in collaboration with Samsung to simplify connectivity between apps” to foster richer app experiences while also providing centralised privacy controls for users,” the tech giant added.

Google is working with developers including MyFitnessPal, Leap Fitness, and Withings as part of an early access programme.

In addition, Samsung Health, Google Fit, and Fitbit are adopting Health Connect. All developers can get access to Health Connect’s common set of APIs for Android via Android Jetpack,” the company informed.

‘Health Connect’ supports many common health and fitness data types and categories, including activity, sleep, nutrition, body measurements, and vitals like heart rate and blood pressure.

“The users will have full control over their privacy settings, with granular controls to see which apps are requesting access to data at any given time,” said Google.

The users will also have the ability to shut off access or delete data they don’t want on their device, along with an option to prioritise one data source over another when using multiple apps.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Oppo Reno 8 Series Launch Officially Set for May 23 in China – Beebom

Published

 on



Oppo is all set to unveil its new Reno 8 series to succeed last year’s Reno 7 lineup next week. The company has revealed that it will host an online event on May 23 in China to introduce the Oppo Reno 8 mid-range phones, which are expected to boast good looks, various camera-centric features, and more. Here’s what to expect.

Oppo Reno 8 Series Launching This Month

Oppo announced this information via a recent Weibo post. It is also revealed that the Reno 8 series will launch in China at 7:00 local time (4:30 pm IST). The company has also shared a short teaser for the same, but it doesn’t tell us anything about the devices.

oppo reno 8 series launch date confirmed to be may 23
Image: Weibo

Although, it is suggested that the Reno 8 series will consist of the Reno 8, the Reno 8 Pro, and the Reno 8 SE. A recent leak tells that the Reno 8 Pro will be powered by the Snapdragon 7 Gen 1 chipset, which is expected to be introduced at the Snapdragon Night event on May 20. The Reno 8 could be equipped with a MediaTek Dimensity 8100 SoC, paired with LPDDR5 RAM and UFS 3.1 storage.

It is also reported that the Reno 8 will feature a 6.55-inch Full HD+ AMOLED display with a 120Hz refresh rate. Three rear cameras, including a 50MP Sony IMX766 main camera, an 8MP ultra-wide camera, and a 2MP macro camera, along with a 32MP selfie shooter are also expected. This variant is also likely to be backed by the MariSiliconX NPU.

The Reno 8 is also slated to come equipped with a 4,500mAh battery with support for 80W wired fast charging, much like the OnePlus 10 Pro. This will be a first for an Oppo phone. Other details regarding the Reno 8 series remain unknown. We also don’t have an idea of what interesting camera features it will feature. Plus, the design is still a mystery, and our best guess is a center-placed punch-hole screen, and maybe, some design changes too.

While the Reno 8 and the Reno 8 Pro could fall in the upper mid-range price bracket, the Reno 8 SE could be a more affordable offering. That said, proper details still aren’t out, and hence, it’s best to wait for the launch event to get a better idea. We will keep you in the loop. So, stay tuned for more information.

Featured Image: Representation of Oppo Reno 7

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Apple iPod is dead, but check out these iPod alternatives- from Walkman to Mighty Vibe – HT Tech

Published

 on


Apple has discontinued its long-running music player iPod! However, these iPod alternatives are worth checking out.

After a remarkable journey of 21 years, the Apple iPod is no more! Earlier this week, Apple announced the discontinuation of the iPod. It was October 23, 2001, when Apple introduced the first original iPod- the first MP3 player in the world that could load 1000 songs. All that was fancy within a pocket-sized device. It became one of the most iconic products by Apple. This original iPod used to feature a FireWire port to connect to a Mac, and it sold for $399 at that time. And after that, the world has seen various iPod generations come and go. In 2022, Apple added a capacitive-sensing Touch Wheel with click buttons around the sides in the iPod, while its third gen iPod featured a Dock connector. Also Read: Apple iPod is NO more! A flashback at this revolutionary gadget changed the world!

By 2005, Apple expanded the colour display to all models of iPod as well as video capabilities. Over years, the Apple iPod kept on being launched in new avatars. iPod Touch came out in 2007 along with the iPhone. Then in 2009, iPod Classic was Apple’s final iPod at that size, and it featured a 160GB hard drive, a Click Wheel, and a widescreen colour display. Now, in 2022, the Apple iPod looks to have lost its essence as its features are now available in almost every Apple device, from iPhone, iPad to even Mac. In fact, Apple Music can be accessed via every other Apple device now. Also Read: iPod is now officially DEAD! Apple kills its superhit gadget after 20 years

Also read: Looking for a smartphone? To check mobile finder click here.

So, the Apple iPod may be dead but you can still find some top iPod alternatives in the market. If you are a music lover, then these devices will definitely surprise you with their build quality and performance. Here, we have listed some of the iPod alternatives that you can consider now.

Apple iPod alternatives

Sony Walkman

Sony has been making its own portable audio players for decades with the series named Walkman! Actually, the original Walkman was a portable cassette player, but with its popularity, Walkman has now been converted into an audio player. There are several models that you can buy. Sony NW-A105 Android Walkman with high resolution audio, touch sensor and 26 hours of battery life is available on Amazon at the price of Rs. 21,990. Yes, that is steep, but the Walkman is as iconic a product as Apple iPod was.

Astell & Kern AK Jr

Astell & Kern offers a wide range of mp3 music players. Astell & Kern AK Jr offers high resolution audio, anytime and anywhere. It has a 3.1-inch display size which makes it pocketable along with 9 hours of playback time. It comes with 64GB external memory that supports file formats including WMA, MP3, ALAC, APE(Normal, High, Fast), WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF, OGG, AAC.

Mighty Vibe Spotify and Amazon Music Player

There is another music player which resembles the iPod Shuffle, the Mighty Vibe which plays Spotify playlists and podcasts for phone as well as data free music listening. It can store 1000 plus songs.

Adblock test (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending