Connect with us

Media

Three charged with intimidation for social media post – My North Bay Now

Published

 on



A social media post has led to three people being charged by North Bay police for Intimidation of a Justice Participant.

Police began an investigation in August to look into the intimidation of someone involved in a court case. Police say that someone who provided information to an ongoing court case had been the subject of a social media post that garnered negative comments, creating a safety concern.

Constable John Schultz says that it was the negative comments on the social media post that warranted investigation.

“Part of what the individual had provided as information, [the accused] posted that information online. That in and of itself may or may not be an offence, but it’s the way they posted it and the fact that it created a lot of feedback that created a safety concern for this person,” Schultz said.

As a result of the investigation, a 54-year-old woman from North Bay, a 42-year-old woman from East Ferris and a 42-year-old man from Powassan have all been charged with one count each of Intimidation of a Justice Participant.

Schultz says that the three people charged “worked together” on the social media post. He was unable to comment on what the court case is as it is still ongoing, and says that the social media post hasn’t impacted the case “at this point”.

Schultz says that Intimidation of a Justice Participant is not a commonly-used charge by North Bay police.

“The charge has been laid here in North Bay another time, but I’ve been involved in policing for 36 years and I’ve never laid it. It doesn’t happen too often,” he said.

The importance of the charge, however, is significant. Schultz says that the charge is in place to protect the court system.

“If you’re going to be involved in a court case, no matter who you are, you should not feel afraid because you’re involved in a court case,” he explained. “If you intimidate somebody to a point where they’re concerned, maybe they’ll recant on their statement.”

Scott Tod, Chief of the North Bay Police Service, also stresses the importance of the charge.

“Public confidence in our courts being ethical and trustworthy means police have the added responsibility of identifying and charging people who try to intimidate or threaten a person involved in our judicial process. North Bay Police Service, like all our provincial and national policing partners, will vigorously investigate these types of offences that protect the integrity of our judicial system,” Tod said in a statement.

The two women who were charged will appear in North Bay court on October 20, with the man set to appear on November 3.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Media

MEDIA ADVISORY: Pickets throughout the Lower Mainland Postponed After Janitors Reach Tentative Agreement with Bee-Clean Building Maintenance – GlobeNewswire

Published

 on



The tentative agreement was reached shortly after janitors had voted overwhelmingly in favour of striking. Unionized with SEIU Local 2, janitors were set to picket at several key locations throughout the Lower Mainland, including Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Oct. 30, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Janitors have reached a tentative deal for their first collective agreement with their employer Bee-Clean Building Maintenance. The tentative agreement has been reached a little over 36 hours after janitors had voted overwhelmingly in favour of commencing strike actions during the week of November 2nd.

Janitors unionized with SEIU (Services Employees International Union) Local 2 last year in response to poor working conditions. Janitors’ major concerns included the lack of adequate sick days, ensuring that all janitors were covered by paid health and dental benefits, and winning a fair wage increase. The new tentative agreement will be presented for a ratification vote early next week.

SEIU Local 2 represents workers in Nova Scotia, Ontario, Alberta, New Brunswick and British Columbia.

Contact:
Assya Moustaqim-Barrette
assyamb@seiulocal2.ca
416-274-4903

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Media Advisory – Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada to Kick off Canada's First Women-only Virtual Business Mission to South Korea – GlobeNewswire

Published

 on



TORONTO, Oct. 30, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada (APF Canada) will launch Canada’s First Women-only Virtual Business Mission to South Korea on Tuesday, November 3, 2020, with keynote presentations from The Honourable Mary Ng, Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade, and Mission Co-Chair Dr. Songyee Yoon, President of NCSOFT and CEO of NCWEST.

The two-day virtual conference will feature South Korean and Canadian women leaders from business, government, and technology, and company pitch sessions by delegates to showcase women-led Canadian innovation.

Date: Tuesday, November 3, 2020.

Time: 7:00 p.m. EST; 9:00 a.m. KST.

Notes: 

  • The two-day conference is open to media, and one-on-one interviews with Mission leaders and select delegates are available by request.
  • Media representatives are asked to register through this link and log on no later than 6:45 p.m. EST on Tuesday, November 3, 2020.

Contacts:

Information:
A.W. Lee, Program Manager,
Diversity and Inclusive Growth Strategy for Women Entrepreneurs in the Asia Pacific,
Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada
a.w.lee@asiapacific.ca

Media:
Michael Roberts, Communications Manager,
Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada
michael.roberts@asiapacific.ca

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

House Oversight Committee moves to subpoena border agency over lewd social media posts – CNN

Published

 on


Last year, media reports revealed the existence of secret Facebook groups with an apparent nexus to CBP that were discovered to contain vulgar and sexually explicit posts. One Facebook group, dubbed “I’m 10-15,” was exposed by the investigative reporting group ProPublica and reportedly included current and former Border Patrol agents.
The revelations sparked public backlash and prompted investigations by lawmakers, as well as a review within the administration.
House Oversight Committee Chairwoman Carolyn Maloney criticized the border agency for not providing sufficient information to the committee about the incident, more than a year after the committee launched its investigation.
“Since that time, CBP has refused to produce any documents that identify these employees or the specific abuses they engaged in, instead choosing to withhold these documents or redact them to conceal this information from the Committee,” Maloney wrote in a memo to committee members Friday.
CBP previously told CNN that four employees were removed from service following internal investigations.
“The agency investigated 138 cases of inappropriate social media activity beginning July 2019. Of those, the agency found that 63 allegations were unsubstantiated, four employees were removed from service, 38 employees were suspended without pay, and the remaining were disciplined with reprimands or counseling,” an agency spokesperson told CNN in July.
While the agency shared similar information with the House Oversight Committee, Maloney is requesting more detailed information on the personnel who engaged in misconduct. The Trump administration, according to the memo, has withheld identifying information, citing privacy concerns.
In a statement Friday to CNN, a CBP official maintained the agency has provided documents, adding that some were publicly released by the committee without the agency’s consent, and provided a number of briefings.
“CBP leadership has offered to personally brief members of this committee and, at the Committee’s request, had made available certain individuals for transcribed interviews as well, though the Committee has not yet responded to these offers,” the official said. “Since the beginning of this investigation, CBP’s primary goal has been to provide transparency while still protecting the health and safety of our personnel, given the high degree of social unrest and the potential hostile targeting of employees for the nature of their employment.”
Maloney also raised concern about reduced punishment for some employees, saying in the memo: “Moreover, based on the limited information produced to the Committee, it is evident that the Trump Administration significantly reduced the punishment of many of these employees, while at the same time shielding them from Congressional oversight.”
The House Oversight Committee will issue a subpoena to compel acting CBP Commissioner Mark Morgan to turn over the requested documents by November 13.
This story has been updated with a statement from a Customs and Border Protection official.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending