Connect with us

Health

UNB Saint John reports possible COVID-19 exposure to community members – CBC.ca

Published

 on


The University of New Brunswick’s Saint John campus says members of its community may have been exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19.

Officials sent an email to students and staff around noon on Saturday.

The university says Public Health has verified the individuals are in self-isolation and are being monitored. It did not specify if the people exposed are students or employees.

“The health and safety of our community is our top priority,” the memo states. “New Brunswick Public Health has absolute authority in this matter.”

No changes to course delivery or campus operations are expected.

Patrick Hickey, president of the UNB Saint John Students’ Representative Council, confirmed the email and said mask use and physical distancing are well-enforced on campus.

“The risk is minimalized, but the risk is still there,” he said.

The exposure comes as the region experiences a surge in new cases of COVID-19, including 16 new cases on Sunday. Many businesses in Saint John are reporting potential exposure and positive cases, including bars, restaurants and gyms. 

UNB Saint John is holding a mix of in-person and online courses. But students have the option of watching lectures live from home if they are uncomfortable attending during the surge in COVID-19 cases.

Hickey said students are encouraged to take advantage of that option and contact their professors if needed.

“We have been hearing some concerns about in-person courses continuing,” he said.

The student union cancelled all in-person events when the Saint John region returned to the orange phase.

There has been one confirmed case of COVID-19 at Mount Allison University and two at Université de Moncton since students returned for the fall semester.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus: Community cluster declared in Revelstoke; 22 cases in past 2 weeks – Global News

Published

 on


A coronavirus cluster has been declared in the small B.C. city of Revelstoke.

On Thursday, Interior Health announced a spike in cases in Revelstoke and the surrounding area, stating 22 cases have been identified over the past 14 days, including 12 cases reported on Tuesday.

The health agency said social gatherings appear to be responsible for some of these transmissions.

Read more:
Pressure grows for Alberta and B.C. to join COVID Alert app as cases surge

“This highlights the importance, especially at this time, of limiting your social activities and following COVID-19 protocols when indoors,” said Interior Health.

“This includes maintaining physical distancing and masking when unable to stay apart.”

It also said “this cluster illustrates that COVID-19 is in smaller rural communities as well as larger urban centres.”

Story continues below advertisement






0:42
Video appears to Dawson Creek Walmart employee assaulted after asking someone to wear a mask


Video appears to Dawson Creek Walmart employee assaulted after asking someone to wear a mask

According to the health agency, no exposures have been identified in Revelstoke school settings at this time, and that students can continue to go to school.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“If there is a case, school administration will be alerted and appropriate steps taken to communicate with parents and ensure the safety of our school population,” it said.

Interior Health said it will monitor this cluster for additional cases, adding “we also would like to highlight the importance of limiting travel to essential travel only.”

Located around 560 kilometres east of Vancouver along the Trans-Canada Highway, Revelstoke has an official population of around 7,000 – though that was from 2016. Last year, following a third-party count, the city said in a press release its population was around 13,000.


Click to play video 'B.C. solicitor general: Anti-mask scofflaws face multiple fines'



1:48
B.C. solicitor general: Anti-mask scofflaws face multiple fines


B.C. solicitor general: Anti-mask scofflaws face multiple fines

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

BC adjusts COVID-19 tracing to keep up with surging cases – Salmon Arm Observer

Published

 on


The growing number of COVID-19 positive tests without the likely source identified is a key sign of rapid community spread that is outpacing the growth and reach of B.C.’s contact tracing teams.

Contact tracers have been hired, transferred and trained as quickly as possible to keep up with the current surge of novel coronavirus infections, particularly in the Fraser Health region where about 70 per cent of the new cases are being identified. Public health officials have also pleaded with people to cooperate when they are contacted about their movements in likely exposure situations.

The number of “unknown” sources has been running at about 20 to 25 per cent in Fraser Health, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said, and reorganizing the reporting system has helped as the case numbers have taken off in November. Specialized teams have been assigned for workplaces, schools and health care facilities, where people are exposed in the community and then go to work or school. And test results are now being transmitted by automated text message.

“I wouldn’t say we’re losing but we’re on the edge for sure,” Henry said at a briefing for reporters in Victoria Nov. 27. “Contact tracing is something where we need to spend time with people. We’ve automated some things including the automated response so people are now getting their test results, whether positive or negative, by text with information about what to do and how to start the process of determining who they had contact with so when they are contacted, that can speed it up and there’s an online form we’re putting in place for that as well.”

RELATED: B.C. sees deadliest day Wednesday, 13 deaths, 738 cases

RELATED: B.C. plans for COVID-19 vaccine rollout in early 2021

Health Minister Adrian Dix said the original goal of adding 500 contact tracers has been revised to 1,200, and retired health care staff are stepping up to help keep up with demand. The return of the province-wide essential-only travel advisory is showing up, as people limit their movements and social contacts in a bid to get infections down before the Christmas season.

“COVID-19 everywhere in the world, the second wave is incredibly tough, and regardless of the question of resources and on top of it, we need everyone to be all-in,” Dix said. “In the last week in terms of activity in the province we’ve seen a decline in ferry traffic and other things that show how committed people are.”


@tomfletcherbc
tfletcher@blackpress.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

BC politicsCoronavirus

Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

B.C. to provide update on new COVID-19 cases – CTV Edmonton

Published

 on


VICTORIA —
B.C. health officials are slated to release a written update on COVID-19 cases, outbreaks and deaths discovered in the province over the past 24 hours.

The update is expected after 3 p.m. Thursday.

On Wednesday, health officials announced 738 new cases of COVID-19, as well as 13 more deaths related to the virus.

The update marked the deadliest day in B.C. since the pandemic began.

As of Wednesday, B.C. has seen a total of 29,086 cases of COVID-19, 7,616 of which are considered active. Of those cases, 294 people are in hospital for treatment, 61 of whom require critical care.

Meanwhile, B.C.’s death toll has reached 371 since the start of the pandemic.

In the Island Health region, 21 new cases of COVID-19 were discovered Wednesday. There are now 173 active cases of the virus in the health authority, including three people who are in hospital for treatment, none of whom require intensive care.

Since the pandemic began, Island Health has seen a total of 526 COVID-19 cases and six deaths related to the virus.

As of Wednesday, 347 people have recovered from COVID-19 in the Island Health region, while 19,814 have recovered across the province.

On Wednesday, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said that recent daily COVID-19 case totals were incorrect due to “challenges with a data system” in the Fraser Health region.

The discrepancies included an update to Tuesday’s reported total. While health officials reported 941 new cases – a new record – there were actually 695, Henry said.

A breakdown of the recent discrepancies, reported between Nov. 17 and Nov. 24, can be found here.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending