New video has emerged of partiers flouting COVID-19 rules at a Vancouver nightclub, in yet another example of young people engaging in risky behaviour during the pandemic.
The video shows people dancing, crowding in groups without masks and even pouring drinks into each others’ mouths – the kind of partying that has been blamed, in part, for B.C.’s surging virus caseload.
“This is the ideal situation for COVID transmission,” said Dr. Brian Conway of the Vancouver Infectious Disease Centre. “Many people, close to each other, where alcohol is involved.”
Dancing at bars and clubs has been strictly prohibited, by order of provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry, since last month. Officials have said it’s up to establishments to enforce those rules.
Much of the video was recorded last Thursday at Levels Nightclub, during a weekly event called Club Mumbai. The very next day, there was a COVID-19 exposure at Levels that forced the venue to close temporarily for a deep cleaning.
“It wasn’t that particular night, so in some ways we got a little lucky,” said Jeff Guignard of the Alliance of Beverage Licensees.
Guignard told CTV News he’s spoken to the promoter of Club Mumbai, and that what happened appears to have been an honest mistake.
“With all the changing public orders that came out, they missed one, and last week they had dancing, which is not allowed,” Guignard said.
Levels is just one of several bars and nightclubs in Metro Vancouver that have had COVID-19 exposure events in recent weeks. Most recently, the Ivy Lounge at Trump Tower was added to health officials’ exposure list.
The rash of incidents has prompted calls for tougher rules, including from West Vancouver city councillor Craig Cameron.
“They need to start looking at more strict measures to … regulate what’s going on in these places, and if necessary, to close certain establishments that won’t comply,” Cameron said.
The struggle for health officials is to find a balance so that they don’t drive this kind of behaviour underground. Police in Surrey have already cracked down on several illegal after-hours clubs, including some at a venue the organizer allegedly accessed by breaking and entering.
Levels Nightclub has said it’s reopening Thursday, though Club Mumbai will not return until next week. The promoter has promised patrons will be sitting down.
Dr. Bonnie Henry (Photo from BC Government Flickr)
Health officials in B.C. reported 223 new COVID-19 cases on Friday.
Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says there are 2,009 active cases in the province, with 4,637 people under active public health monitoring.
A total of 10,247 people who tested positive have now recovered.
Currently, 75 people are hospitalized with COVID-19, 24 of whom are in intensive care. The remaining people with COVID-19 are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Vancouver Island only had one new confirmed case.
There have been two new health-care facility outbreaks at Laurel Place and Fair Haven Homes Burnaby Lodge. In total, 16 long-term care or assisted-living facilities and two acute-care facilities have active outbreaks.
The outbreaks at PICS Assisted Living, Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre, Chartwell Carrington House Retirement Residence and Thornebridge Gardens Retirement Residence have been declared over.
There have also been two new community outbreaks at Coast Spas Manufacturing and Pace Processing.
“In recent days, we have seen a number of new outbreaks of COVID-19 in the community and in long-term care facilities,” Henry says. “Contact-tracing teams throughout our province are working around the clock to stop further spread, but it requires all of us to do our part to be successful in these efforts.”
Here are the latest developments on the coronavirus pandemic in the Greater Toronto Area for Friday:
Toronto COVID-19 case numbers continue to rise
The City of Toronto said there were 317 new coronavirus cases Friday, bringing the city’s total to 25,913. There are 123 people hospitalized, which is an increase of 17 people from Thursday.
#COVID19 is on the rise in Toronto. There have been a total of 25,913 cases of COVID-19 in the city, an increase of 317 new cases today. There are 123 people hospitalized, an increase of 17 new people.
According to the Ministry of Long-Term Care, there have been 1,913 deaths reported among residents and patients in long-term care homes across Ontario, which is an increase of three deaths since the previous day. Eight health-care workers and staff in long-term care homes have died.
There are 77 current outbreaks in homes, an decrease of three.
The ministry also indicated there are currently 229 active cases among long-term care residents and 237 active cases among staff — up by 23 and down by six cases respectively in the last day.
Ontario long-term care commission provides government recommendations for 2nd wave in homes
Ontario’s independent commission into long-term care in the province has released early recommendations for the Ford government to implement as the second wave of the coronavirus is in full swing.
The report found that in the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, 55 per cent of long-term care homes in the province reported an outbreak, while 75 per cent of all deaths were represented by long-term care residents.
Story continues below advertisement
Earlier findings found that long-term care homes in the province suffered from staffing shortages, and a lack of strong infection and prevention and control measures (IPAC), among other things.
Meanwhile, government figures show there have been a total of 1,698 school-related COVID-19 cases in Ontario — 946 among students and 245 among staff (507 individuals were not identified). This is an increase of 72 more cases from the previous day.
In the last 14 days, the province indicates there are 440 cases reported among students and 95 cases among staff (261 individuals were not identified) — totaling 796 cases.
The COVID-19 cases are currently from 514 out of 4,828 schools in the province. Five schools in Ontario are currently closed as a result of positive cases, the government indicated.
There have been a total of 357 confirmed cases within child care centres and homes — an increase of eight (four new child cases and four new staff cases). Out of 5,231 child care centres in Ontario, 133 currently have cases and 50 centres are closed.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.