Connect with us

Sports

Athletics Canada severs ties with Speed River and U of Guelph – Canadian Running Magazine

Published

 on


On Tuesday, December 17, Athletics Canada announced that it has given a termination notice to the University of Guelph and Speed River as the home of the Canadian Centre of Excellence.

The Centre of Excellence, based out of Guelph, was part of Athletics Canada’s plan to set up multiple track and field training hubs across the country. The dissolution of the partnership comes hours after the university’s announcement that former track and field head coach Dave Scott-Thomas had been fired over reports of professional misconduct.

RELATED: University of Guelph fires head coach Dave Scott-Thomas

Athletics Canada reports that over the years Scott-Thomas served as a volunteer coach on the following national teams:

  • 2005 FISU Games – Head Coach
  • 2006 IAAF World Cross Country Championships – Head Coach
  • 2006 Coach European B Tour
  • 2008 IAAF World Cross Country Championships – Team Coach
  • 2009 FISU Games – Team Coach
  • 2011 NACAC Cross Country Championships – Head Coach
  • 2011 IAAF World Cross Country Championships – Head Coach
  • 2013 IAAF World Cross Country Championships – Team Coach
  • 2014 Commonwealth Games – Team Coach
  • 2015 Pan American Games – Team Coach
  • 2015 IAAF World Athletics Championships – Team Coach
  • 2016 IAAF World Half Marathon Championships – Team Coach
  • 2016 Olympic Games – Team Coach
  • 2017 IAAF World Athletics Championships – Team Coach
  • 2018 Commonwealth Games – Team Coach
  • 2019 FISU Games – Team Coach

RELATED: University of Guelph track and field head coach under review

Athletics Canada says that neither it nor the independent Commissioners’ Office has received complaints about Scott-Thomas, SRTFC or the University of  Guelph since the Office’s inception in 2015. “Athletics Canada is completing a thorough review of records to identify if complaints were received prior to 2015,” it said in a statement. AC doesn’t investigate claims, which is why the file has been redirected to the external Commissioners’ Office.

As of now Athletics Canada has no plans to relocate the Center of Excellence.

Should athletes, coaches, or sports personal have anything to report, they can do so at Athletics.ca.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Mixed Martial Arts-Door is open for YouTube’s Paul brothers in MMA

Published

 on

Logan and Jake Paul would make great Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighters, Bellator president Scott Coker has said as he targets exhibition matches featuring the YouTube personalities such as the former’s boxing bout against Floyd Mayweather.

Logan Paul went the distance, surviving eight rounds against unbeaten (50-0) five-division world boxing champion Mayweather in an exhibition on Sunday at Miami’s Hard Rock stadium.

USA Today reported the fight brought in one million pay per view buys with $50 million generated from sales in the United States.

It was only the second fight of Paul’s career, while his brother Jake has fought in three professional boxing matches, beating former MMA fighter Ben Askren in April.

Critics have labelled the bouts a sideshow due to the lack of sporting credibility of the duo, who made their names as social media personalities and have millions of subscribers on YouTube.

However, Coker told Reuters the brothers have impressive physiques and the door is open for them to move into MMA.

“I met with Logan Paul about two years ago and I’ve spoken to Jake Paul’s manager and Jake on a zoom call recently… The one thing I said was hey, if you want to do MMA we would love to promote you guys,” the 58-year-old said in a Zoom interview.

“These guys are young, athletic, strong and you saw the fight on Sunday night these guys they came and did their work.

“Mayweather couldn’t finish him and I know he tried, I heard he wanted to knock this kid out so bad,” he added.

“When I heard both had high school wrestling backgrounds in Ohio, which is a prominent wrestling state in the U.S., it really made me interested in pursuing them in some super fights in Mixed Martial Arts – and that door is continually open.”

HEADLINE FIGHT

Bellator, owned by Viacom, is gearing up for a busy month of events, starting with Bellator 260 on Friday with the headline fight between reigning welterweight world champion Douglas Lima and the undefeated Yaroslav Amosov.

However, super fights and exhibitions are where Coker is targeting a younger audience.

“My 14-year-old niece, I told her I was going to the Logan Paul fight and she thought that was the greatest thing,” he said.

“She asked me who he was fighting and I said Floyd Mayweather and she said ‘who’s that?’ – I thought wow, she doesn’t know boxing, she doesn’t know MMA, she’s just a 14-year-old girl on the internet doing what they do.”

As the sporting world gears up for the delayed Tokyo Olympics starting in July, Coker believes MMA will feature in future Games.

“When you think about mixed martial arts, what you’re talking about is boxing, wrestling, judo, taekwondo, karate – those are all Olympic sports,” he said.

“Why wouldn’t mixed martial arts eventually get into the Olympics because six out of the seven disciplines MMA is known to use really is already there.

“There’d be a lot of details to work out but to me I think it will happen, it’s just a matter of time.”

 

(Reporting by Christian Radnedge,; Editing by Ed Osmond)

Continue Reading

Sports

Montreal will host the 2024 world figure skating championships

Published

 on

Montreal will host the 2024 world figure skating championships, the International Skating Union (ISU) said on Wednesday, after the 2020 event Canada was to host was cancelled due to COVID-19.

The championships will return to Montreal from March 18-24, marking the 11th time Canada has staged the event.

“Skate Canada has a proven track record of holding successful ISU events and we are looking forward to bringing the world’s best skaters to the fantastic Canadian city of Montreal,” said Debra Armstrong, CEO of Skate Canada, in a statement.

 

(Reporting by Steve Keating in Toronto; Editing by Andrew Cawthorne)

Continue Reading

Sports

Andreescu splits with coach Bruneau after French Open exit

Published

 on

World number seven Bianca Andreescu on Tuesday announced she has split with longtime coach Sylvain Bruneau, a week after falling in the first round of the French Open.

The pair had worked together for four years as Andreescu made her breakthrough with three titles in 2019, including the U.S. Open.

“It is with a heavy heart that I would like to inform my fans that my long time coach, mentor and friend, Sylvain and I, have mutually decided to end our incredible coaching relationship,” Canadian Andreescu wrote on Twitter

“Our friendship will live forever … I am very grateful for everything we accomplished together and all of our great memories.

“Sylvain was more than a coach… he is family.”

Andreescu, 20, returned to action at this year’s Australian Open, having missed 15 months due to a knee injury.

A positive COVID-19 test subsequently ruled Andreescu out of both Madrid and Rome before an abdominal injury forced her to pull out of Strasbourg at the quarter-final stage.

Her most recent appearance at Roland Garros ended with a 6-7(1) 7-6(2) 9-7 defeat by Slovenia’s Tamara Zidansek.

 

(Reporting by Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru; Editing by Andrew Cawthorne)

Continue Reading

Trending