Connect with us

Health

B.C. reports 80 new COVID-19 cases, outbreak at Loblaws distribution centre – The Record (New Westminster)

Published

on


VANCOUVER — A Loblaws distribution centre in Surrey is the latest community outbreak of COVID-19 in British Columbia.

The Fraser Health Authority says nine staff members have tested positive and their close contacts have been instructed to self-isolate.

article continues below

It says public health workers are screening all other employees at the facility that’s operating at normal capacity.

In a news release, Fraser Health says there is no evidence that COVID-19 is transmitted through consuming packaged foods, or that it is a foodborne illness, so there is no risk to anyone outside the distribution centre.

B.C. reported 80 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday as the number of active cases hit 780.

Two more people from the Fraser Health region have died after contracting the illness, bringing the provincial death toll to 200.

In a news briefing, deputy provincial health officer Dr. Reka Gustafson said public health workers are actively monitoring 2,574 people as a result of possible exposure to COVID-19.

“One of the reasons that the number of people who would be in isolation would increase is if a single individual who was infected spent some times in gatherings,” she said.

“It’s a reflection of the types of exposures there are and the intensity of contact tracing that’s happening by the public health teams.”

Gustafson said the majority of the latest cases are still being detected in younger adults, but there have been small increases in infections among older people too.

“That’s an important thing for us to monitor because the risk of severe illness with age.”

Premier John Horgan said earlier this week that unsafe parties and gatherings are eroding efforts to keep transmission rates low and the province will be announcing enforcement action against people whose behaviour puts others at risk.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth is set to give an update Friday about compliance and enforcement measures under the province’s ongoing state of emergency.

Earlier on Thursday, Vancouver Coastal Health reported potential exposures to COVID-19 at the Bartholomew Bar in Vancouver.

The health authority said the exposures are believed to be low risk, but anyone who was at the bar on Aug. 13 and 14 should monitor themselves for symptoms.

Environmental health officers have also issued closure orders for Pierre’s Champagne Lounge and the West Oak Restaurant, while the Ivy Lounge in the Trump Tower closed voluntarily after public exposures to COVID-19.

B.C. has reported a total of 4,825 positive tests for COVID-19 so far.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 20, 2020.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Possible COVID-19 exposure at three Saskatoon businesses: SHA – CTV News Saskatoon

Published

on


SASKATOON —
The Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) is warning of a possible COVID-19 exposure at three Saskatoon businesses in the last week. 

The SHA said a person or persons attended the following locations while likely infectious:

• Sept. 19 – Walmart Supercentre at 225 Betts Ave. in Saskatoon from 4 to 6 p.m.

• Sept. 22 – Planet Fitness at Market Mall on 2325 Preston Ave. S in Saskatoon from 4 to 6 p.m.

• Sept. 23 – KFC at 1808 McOrmond Drive in Saskatoon from 5 to 10 p.m.

The SHA is advising anyone who was at these locations on the specified dates and times to self monitor for 14 days or immediately self isolate and call HealthLine 811 if they develop symptoms of COVID-19. 

People may develop symptoms between two and 14 days after getting exposed to the virus, according to the SHA.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Coronavirus: 7 people linked to Toronto restaurant test positive, around 1,700 possibly exposed – Global News

Published

on


Toronto Public Health (TPH) officials say seven people linked to a downtown restaurant have tested positive for the novel coronavirus and officials are now asking approximately 1,700 people to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.

Officials said five staff members and two patrons of Yonge Street Warehouse — located near Yonge and Dundas streets — are confirmed to have contracted the virus.

All known close contacts of those individuals have been reached by TPH, officials said, adding that anyone who hasn’t been contacted is considered low risk.

TPH said the period for potential exposure is from Sept. 10 to 17 — it’s estimated around 1,700 people may have attended the restaurant during that time.

Story continues below advertisement

Anyone who was at the establishment during that period is being asked to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days since their last visit “as a precaution.”

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“If symptoms develop, please contact TPH, seek testing and immediately self-isolate,” officials said.

“Please wear a mask when going for testing.”






1:12
COVID-19 outbreak declared at Toronto elementary school


COVID-19 outbreak declared at Toronto elementary school

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

7 COVID-19 cases linked to Yonge Street Warehouse – CBC.ca

Published

on


Toronto Public Health (TPH) says seven people who have tested positive for COVID-19 went to a Yonge Street restaurant within the last month.

Of the seven, five are staff members and two are patrons. All of which attended Yonge Street Warehouse, at 336 Yonge St., between Sept. 10 and Sept. 17.

The health agency wants to notify staff and patrons who visited the restaurant during the 8-day period about a potential exposure to the virus. 

TPH said they have followed up with all known close contacts and those individuals have been asked to self-isolate for 14 days and go for testing. 

Around 1,700 people may have been at the venue during this time, TPH said, however, people not already contacted are viewed as low risk.

“If you were at the Yonge Street Warehouse between September 10 to 17 but have not been contacted by TPH, you are not identified as a close contact,” read a statement released on Saturday.

Nevertheless, the health agency is still urging anyone who was there during the exposure time to monitor themselves for symptoms for 14 days after their last visit. 

If symptoms develop, the agency asks you to contact TPH, seek testing and immediately self-isolate.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending