VICTORIA (NEWS 1130) — Despite increased testing of children and worrisome exposure notices being issued, data shows B.C. is doing a “very good job” curtailing transmission of COVID-19 in schools, according to Dr. Bonnie Henry.
While presenting the latest numbers on the coronavirus in the province Thursday, Henry stressed that nine out of 10 schools have recorded zero cases of the coronavirus among staff and students.
“This is something we’ve been watching very closely,” Henry said. “There’ve been a lot of coughs and runny noses, and a lot of children tested. Most school-aged children with symptoms continue not to have COVID-19 — which is good news.”
The break down of where transmissions are happening. Showing social interactions are at the base of most of them. Says schools/daycares seeing some cases but certainly not where most transmissions at all are happening. #bcpoli @NEWS1130 #covid19 #bced pic.twitter.com/dbbLL02Qqg
— LizaYuzda (@LizaYuzda) November 12, 2020
There are 1,942 schools in British Columbia, and exposure notices have been issued at 261.
Henry emphasized that an exposure notice is issued as a result of someone in the school community, which includes all staff and students, “being in the school environment during their infectious period.”
That, she stresses, is not the same as transmission — someone getting infected as a direct result of exposure at their school.
“The measures that we have in place — particularly screening out people who are ill, catching them early, making sure that we’re reducing the probability of transmissions in schools — are working,” she said.
“This has been a focus because we know how essential is it for our children to be in those environments for their education, for their growth, for their development, for their future.”
Looking at cases in kids – Dr Henry says doing 2.5 times more testing since August.
School age cases remain less than 10% of cases (this is over all since since start of pandemic – has exceeded that in weeks since school started)#bcpoli @NEWS1130 #covid19 #bced pic.twitter.com/GYu4DVE5nb
— LizaYuzda (@LizaYuzda) November 12, 2020
There have been fewer than a dozen transmissions, and just one outbreak at a school in Kelowna.
“Teachers have risen to this occasion, everyone in the school setting is doing their best to make sure that it continues to be a safe environment. These numbers tell us that we’re doing a very good job of that.”
Prairie Harm Reduction temporarily closing due to COVID-19 case – Global News
The closure, which also affects the safe consumption site, will last for two weeks.
The Saskatoon-based organization posted on its Facebook page Monday morning that a staff member tested positive for COVID-19.
PHR said the decision to close is the safest option.
The organization added that it allows for the quickest return to normalcy.
PHR’s safe consumption site, the first of its kind in Saskatchewan, opened its doors last month.
Sask.’s 1st supervised consumption site opens as overdose deaths spike
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
2 more New Brunswick schools confirm cases of COVID-19 – CBC.ca
Two more schools in New Brunswick have confirmed positive cases of COVID-19, bringing the total to four since last week, and nine since the school year began.
Education Minister Dominic Cardy said administrators at Montgomery Street School in Fredericton and Centreville Community School, north of Hartland, issued notices to parents over the weekend.
The two schools are now working with New Brunswick Public Health to identify students and school personnel who might have been exposed to the virus.
Over the weekend, one case of COVID-19 was confirmed at Simonds High School in Saint John and another at Hampton Middle School. Harbour View High School in Saint John confirmed a possible exposure to the illness.
Students in Grade 7 at Hampton Middle School will start virtual learning this week
But public schools won’t close as they did this past spring, when COVID-19 first made an appearance in New Brunswick, Cardy told Information Morning Fredericton. Early in the pandemic, not as much was known about the coronavirus, but things are different now and such a broad shutdown of schools isn’t considered necessary.
“The goal could never be to have everything completely shut down indefinitely,” Cardy said.
“It was always to be as safe as possible and operating as close to normally as possible.”
Cardy said there is a single COVID-19 contact at Montgomery Street School, and everyone in the school has been notified. Letters to parents have also been sent out.
“That person is being isolated. We don’t believe there’s a further risk at this time.”
Cardy said he is trying to be as transparent as possible. And if parents haven’t received any emails from their child’s school or district, that’s a good sign.
“When you hear from Public Health … don’t panic. Just listen to what they have to say. And follow the steps.”
Cardy made it clear that schools will move to online learning right away if there are any risks to students or if the number of cases increases.
He said his department has been working in conjunction with Public Health, which is ” constantly looking at the data” related to COVID-19.
“We’ll be ready to move on a moment’s notice if they give us the word that we have to make a shift.”
In July, Cardy announced all high school students in New Brunswick would have to use their own electronic devices. A $7 million subsidy program to help low- and middle-income families buy computers was launched July 31.
But Cardy also said there could be challenges with the new online system.
“Anything brand new … I’m sure there will be issues with it.”
COVID-19 in schools
Cardy said he will continue working with districts and the New Brunswick Teachers’ Union and representatives of other workers in the school system.
“Making sure those communication lines are working as smoothly as possible,” he said.
“You’ve got a lot of moving pieces here.”
More cases of COVID-19
New Brunswick officials announced six new cases of COVID-19 in the province Sunday.
The new cases bring the total of active infections in the province to 77. One person is in hospital related to the virus.
That announcement follows a significant rise in the Moncton and Saint John regions, including a single-day high for the province on Saturday when 23 cases were reported.
The Moncton and Saint John regions returned to tighter restrictions under the orange phase last week.
“We are not through COVID yet,” he said.
Makeshift graveyard constructed outside of Alberta health minister's office – CTV Toronto
Rows of cardboard grave markers lined the grass across the street from Health Minister Tyler Shandro’s office in southwest Calgary Monday morning.
The signs, erected in the grass on the west side of Macleod Trail, criticized the province’s response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and placed blame on the provincial government for the recent spike in confirmed cases.
The individual or group responsible for the makeshift graveyard has not been identified.
The province announced 1,584 new cases of COVID-19 Sunday, continuing Alberta’s four-day streak of establishing record highs for new case counts. Alberta’s new case count was the most amongst all provinces.
Digital Technologies have a strong return on investment, survey says – JWN
Can't solve economy issue without solving COVID-19, says professor – KitchenerToday.com
Japanese art show seeks submissions from young local artists – Sooke News Mirror
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Galaxy M31 July 2020 security update brings Glance, a content-driven lockscreen wallpaper service
- Health23 hours ago
New Brunswick reports 6 new cases of COVID-19 – CBC.ca
- Business24 hours ago
Toronto, Peel Region set for 28-day lockdown: What’s open and closed – CityNews Toronto
- Health17 hours ago
Alberta reports more COVID-19 cases on Sunday than any other province – CTV Edmonton
- Art21 hours ago
Art adrift: How a kayak and driftwood help this adventurer make beautiful art – CBC.ca
- Art23 hours ago
SAAG launching its Art Frenzy gala online tonight – Toronto Star
- News19 hours ago
Canada Post calls in reinforcements to meet historic demand – CBC.ca
- Investment21 hours ago
Do Firm Capital Apartment Real Estate Investment Trust's (CVE:FCA.U) Earnings Warrant Your Attention? – Simply Wall St
- Science23 hours ago
Seismic event at Kidd Mine site – My Timmins Now