Connect with us

News

Coronavirus caseload in Canada increases by 380 while Atlantic provinces see no new cases – Globalnews.ca

Published

on


Canada reported nearly 400 coronavirus cases and 20 COVID-19-related deaths in the last 24 hours.

The new numbers bring the national tally to more than 102,600 confirmed cases of COVID-19 — the bulk of them in Ontario and Quebec — and a death toll of 8,504.

Read more:
How many Canadians have the new coronavirus? Total number of confirmed cases by region

More than 65,000 people are considered recovered across the country, as active cases number a little over 28,500.

Ontario saw 189 new cases and 10 fatalities on Thursday. The province now has more than 34,000 cases, including more than 2,600 deaths and close to 30,000 recoveries.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Thursday he doesn’t want to see the Canada-U.S. border reopened once the current closure expires on July 21.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
Alberta COVID-19 vaccine advancing to human testing

“You see what’s happening down in the states, you look at Florida, you look at Texas, Arizona, California — I don’t want to be those states,” he said. Earlier this week, a number of states set single-day records for COVID-19 cases.

Quebec reported 142 new cases on Thursday — more than double the 53 cases reported a day earlier — bringing its total to more than 55,000 cases. The province also recorded six new deaths in the past 24 hours, leaving its death toll at just under 5,500 fatalities.






4:30
U.S. insurance industry spends big on discrediting Canadian health care: advocate


U.S. insurance industry spends big on discrediting Canadian health care: advocate

This week, Quebec took a step towards becoming the only province to start weekly COVID-19 updates as of July 2, instead of daily ones.

Story continues below advertisement

Ontario and Quebec, the country’s most populous provinces, have consistently been the regions reporting the most number of cases and deaths for months, with numbers trending downward in recent weeks.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Alberta remains a distant third in terms of overall caseload and death toll in Canada, with a little more than 7,800 cases of COVID-19 and 154 deaths so far. On Thursday, the province reported 26 new cases and one new death.

Read more:
Can I go to another province? The latest coronavirus travel restrictions, by region

British Columbia reported 19 lab-confirmed cases and two new deaths. One of the new cases is a public school teacher — the second such case connected to schools since B.C. reopened classrooms on June 1. The province currently has nearly 2,900 cases and 173 deaths.

Saskatchewan saw three new cases, for a total of 759 cases. It also reported its highest hospitalization rate for COVID-19 since May, with nine people in hospital. Thirteen people have died since the pandemic began.






3:19
Manitoba plans to resume in-class learning in September


Manitoba plans to resume in-class learning in September

Manitoba’s curve has remained relatively flat for a while now, with just one new case reported Thursday. The province has seen 305 cases in total and seven deaths since the pandemic began. It is now examining how schools might be able to reopen in September.

Story continues below advertisement

Atlantic provinces

All four Atlantic provinces had no new cases or deaths to report on Thursday.

As of July 3, travel restrictions in the region were set to ease, allowing interprovincial travel between all four Atlantic provinces without self-isolation.

Nova Scotia is set to announce further reopening measures on Friday. It has seen no new cases for 16 days straight, and currently has zero active cases. More than 60 people have died in the province, which has seen more than 1,000 cases since the pandemic began.

Read more:
Antibodies from COVID-19 infection only last a few months: study

New Brunswick has seen 149 of 165 cases recover from the virus, while two people have died. Newfoundland and Labrador has no active cases. Three people have died out of 261 cases.

Prince Edward Island, the Northwest Territories and the Yukon have seen all their cases resolved for some weeks now. Nunavut remains the only region in Canada with no confirmed case of COVID-19 reported so far.

Numbers tallied by Johns Hopkins University show the coronavirus has resulted in more than 9.5 million cases around the world and more than 486,000 deaths, with the highest caseload and death toll in the U.S. followed by Brazil.

Story continues below advertisement

— With files by The Canadian Press, Global News staff

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

News

Canada not ready for second wave of COVID-19, Senate committee says – CBC.ca

Published

on


Canada is ill-prepared for a second wave of COVID-19, says a Senate committee, calling on the federal Liberals to deliver a plan by Labour Day to help people and communities hit hardest by the pandemic. 

Seniors, in particular, are a focus of the report from the Senate’s social affairs committee, from those in long-term care homes to those with low incomes. 

Just this week, the Liberals rolled out one-time special payments of $300 to the more than six million people who receive old-age security, and $200 more for the 2.2 million who also receive the guaranteed income supplement. 

The income supports are meant to help seniors facing increased costs as a result of the pandemic, such as more frequent prescription fees and delivery charges for groceries.  Senators on the committee wrote of evidence of “financial insecurity and increased vulnerability” for low-income seniors as a result of the first wave of the novel coronavirus. 

A potential second wave, which could coincide with the annual flu season that starts in the fall, would make the situation even worse for these seniors “without concrete and timely government action,” the report says. 

Senators say the Liberals should deliver a plan to help low-income seniors, among other populations vulnerable to economic shocks like new immigrants, no later than the end of August, and contain short- and long-term options. 

The report also says the federal government needs to pay urgent attention to seniors in long-term care homes where outbreaks and deaths in the pandemic have been concentrated. 

The document made public Thursday morning is the committee’s first set of observations on the government’s response to the pandemic, with a final report expected later this year. 

Before then, the Liberals are planning to provide another economic update like the one delivered Wednesday, or possibly a full budget. 

Healthcare and pharmacare

The government shelved plans to deliver one at the end of March when the House of Commons went on extended hiatus due to the pandemic. 

The long-awaited economic “snapshot,” as the Liberals styled it, said federal spending is closing in on $600 billion this fiscal year. That means a deficit of $343 billion, fuelled by emergency pandemic aid that the government budgets at over $230 billion. 

The Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada said the spending figures demand a “full and transparent assessment” to see what worked, what didn’t and what needs to change for an economic recovery. 

Hassan Yussuff, president of the Canadian Labour Congress, said the Liberals should take back up their promise to create a national pharmacare system as the government considers its next steps. 

A federal advisory council last year calculated the cost of a program at over $15 billion annually, depending on its design. 

“The last thing we want to have is Canadians in frail health as we’re dealing with this pandemic and I think the government really needs to think of that,” Yussuff said in an interview Wednesday. 

“Had it not been for the health care system we have right now,” he added later, “think of how this country would have fared in this pandemic.” 

The Senate committee’s report also notes the national emergency stockpile of personal protective gear like masks, gowns and gloves wasn’t managed well over the years, nor sufficiently stocked when the pandemic struck. 

Committee members added concerns that military members could be deployed without sufficient personal protective equipment because of “inconsistencies from international procurement.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Coronavirus: Canada adds 370 new cases, 12 deaths Thursday – Global News

Published

on


Canada’s total coronavirus case count went up by 370 Thursday and its deaths by 12.

The country now has 106,783 cases total with 27,460 of them active, and 8,749 deaths total.

Quebec, the hardest-hit province in Canada, reported 137 new COVID-19 cases, bringing its total to 56,216.

Read more:
Quebec bans bars from selling alcohol after midnight to limit coronavirus outbreaks

Six new deaths were also reported, though four of them occurred before July 1. There have now been 5,609 deaths due to the virus in the province.

There are currently 308 people hospitalized in the province, down 23 from Wednesday, and 27 are in intensive care.

Ontario reported 170 new cases on Thursday, with 86 of them originating in the Windsor-Essex region as the province targets temporary farmworkers for testing.

Story continues below advertisement






0:33
Coronavirus: Federal health officials say ‘limit or no transmission’ of COVID-19 in most parts of Canada


Coronavirus: Federal health officials say ‘limit or no transmission’ of COVID-19 in most parts of Canada

The province now has 36,348 cases total with 31,977 of them recovered, or 88 per cent. Overall, the new daily infection numbers have been on the decline over the past several weeks.

There are currently 123 patients hospitalized, with 31 of them in intensive care (down by four the previous day) and 23 patients on a ventilator (down by three).

Ontario has seen 2,703 deaths after three more were reported Thursday.

Read more:
Ontario reports 170 new coronavirus cases, 86 from Windsor-Essex; total cases at 36,348

In Alberta, meanwhile, three new deaths were announced Thursday, all linked to a coronavirus outbreak at Edmonton’s Misericordia Hospital.

The deaths bring the total number of COVID-19 fatalities in the province to 161, while 37 new COVID-19 cases have been confirmed in the province over the past 24 hours. Currently, there are 584 active cases in Alberta.

Story continues below advertisement

Of the total 8,519 confirmed COVID-19 cases, 7,774 have recovered.






3:35
Canada’s greatest coronavirus threat comes from U.S.


Canada’s greatest coronavirus threat comes from U.S.

British Columbia reported 20 new cases Thursday, bringing its total to 3,028, nine of which were not tested but are considered epidemiologically-linked.

More than 88 per cent of those patients have fully recovered, while 175 cases remain active.

Seventeen of those cases are in hospital, four of them in critical care.

Read more:
20 new COVID-19 cases in B.C., no new deaths

In Saskatchewan, five new cases were added to bring its total to 813, while 750 of them have recovered, up by four from yesterday.

There have been 15 COVID-19-related deaths in the province.

Story continues below advertisement

There are currently 48 active cases in the province, health officials said. Active cases are total cases less recoveries and deaths.

For the ninth straight day, no new COVID-19 cases were reported in Manitoba, keeping its total cases to 325 — 11 of which are presumptive cases — with four active cases. Seven Manitobans have died.

Read more:
Manitoba sees 9 straight days with no new coronavirus cases reported

New Brunswick reported one new case of the coronavirus on Thursday in the Fredericton region, and said it was a travel-related case and the individual is self-isolating.

The province said the number of confirmed cases in New Brunswick is 166 and 163 people have recovered. There have been two deaths, and there is one active case.

No new cases or deaths were announced in the rest of the Atlantic or Canada’s territories.

Story continues below advertisement

— With files from Gabby Rodrigues, Phil Heidenreich, Thomas Piller, Shane Gibson, Kalina Laframboise, Aya Al-Hakim and Simon Little

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Canada pushes back on U.S. Congress members’ call to reopen border amid coronavirus – Global News

Published

on


The federal government is softly pushing back against an effort from U.S. Congress members to reopen the border with Canada amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, saying any decision will be made “by Canadians, for Canadians.”

A bipartisan group of 29 federal lawmakers led by New York representatives Blaine Higgins and Elise Stefanik sent a letter to Public Safety Minister Bill Blair and Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf late last week, urging both countries to “immediately craft a comprehensive framework for phased reopening of the border.”

Read more:
Coronavirus: U.S. sets single-day record with 60,000 new cases of COVID-19

The group also calls for interim measures to ease restrictions on family members and property owners, particularly those with property only accessible through cross-border travel, and “restore the social bond that unites our two nations.”

Story continues below advertisement

“We hope that our legacy of binational cooperation would lend to the development of a thorough plan to protect the health of our shared communities and reinvigorate them in this time of recovery,” the letter reads.

The Canada-U.S. border was shut down to all but essential travel, including transportation of goods and work-related travel, on March 21. The closure has been extended by 30-day periods after assessments of the COVID-19 pandemic in both countries, pushing the deadline most recently to July 21.






2:12
‘We’re very concerned’: Dr. Bonnie Henry on COVID-19 transmission coming from U.S.


‘We’re very concerned’: Dr. Bonnie Henry on COVID-19 transmission coming from U.S.

The Congress members argue those regular extensions have created “unnecessary tension” and uncertainty for individuals and the shared economy,

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“Continuing to extend border restrictions at 30-day intervals is untenable for the communities that have been separated from family and unable to tend to their property for over three months,” the group argues.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
As travel increases, Canada boosting presence of health officials at airports, U.S. border

Higgins, a Democrat, and Republican member Stefanik are co-chairs of the Northern Border Caucus, which focuses on cross-border commerce and investment as well as border infrastructure.

In response to the letter, a spokesperson for the office of Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said while conversations between Canada and the U.S. about the border are ongoing, “both sides agree that the current measures in place” have “worked well.”

“Our absolute priority is the health and safety of Canadians,” Katherine Cuplinskas said in an email. “That is why we want to be clear that decisions about Canada’s border are made by Canadians, for Canadians.”






4:08
Coronavirus: Why reopening the Canada-US border too soon could mean a ‘second wave’


Coronavirus: Why reopening the Canada-US border too soon could mean a ‘second wave’

Cuplinskas did not give any suggestion either way as to whether the July 21 deadline will be extended yet again.

Story continues below advertisement

Public polling has suggested Canadians are mostly supportive of the decision to keep the U.S. border closed to limit the spread of COVID-19, and has remained steadfast as cases have surged south of the border at an alarming rate.

Read more:
Canadians living in U.S. hunker down as coronavirus cases surge

The U.S. topped three million infections Wednesday, just 28 days after crossing the two-million mark — cutting by nearly half the time it took to grow from a million to two million cases.

Spikes in several states have lead to continuous record-breaking daily case counts, which have been blamed in part on aggressive moves to reopen local economies.

A Globe and Mail/Nanos poll released Monday, three days after Higgins’ and Stefaniuk’s letter was sent to Blair and Wolf, found 81 per cent of those surveyed want the border to remain closed “for the foreseeable future.”

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending