Connect with us

News

Coronavirus: One quarter of Canadians still not fully social distancing, poll suggests – Global News

Published

on


Canadians almost universally believe physical distancing will help slow the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

Yet one in four admit to not doing it as much as they should, according to an Ipsos poll for Global News.

READ MORE: Age isn’t the only factor in COVID-19 severity, experts say

The results come after repeated urging by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and public health officials for people to “go home and stay home” last month, and after several premiers released modelling this week that show thousands could die from the virus by the end of the month.

Trudeau was asked by a journalist at his daily briefing on Wednesday whether there are any further tools he would consider using to enforce social distancing or punish those who break the rules.

Story continues below advertisement

He said the government is continually evaluating the situation.

“Unfortunately we do see that there are some people who are not choosing to follow these instructions,” he said.

“We continue to impress upon everyone that we need to do what is necessary to get through this as quickly and safely as possible. We will continually work with cities and jurisdictions on measures they may feel are necessary.”

READ MORE: ‘Probable’ Alberta COVID-19 model predicts 400-3,100 deaths, says Kenney

Ontario Premier Doug Ford and Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, the latest to release provincial modelling numbers, have both used the projections to urge residents to take the danger of the virus seriously.

But while the message seems to be getting through that social distancing reduces the infection rate, the message isn’t necessarily changing behaviour.

Ninety-five per cent of Canadians say they believe social distancing will slow the infections and 72 per cent say they’re confident the health care system will not be overwhelmed.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

READ MORE: Ontario projects just under 1,600 COVID-19 deaths, 80,000 cases by end of April

Only 63 per cent say they are confident that most Canadians are taking social distancing seriously, with 37 per cent saying they do not believe that’s the case.

Story continues below advertisement

And of the 26 per cent of respondents who say they are not following strict social distancing measures, that drops down to 19 per cent among those over the age of 55 and to 27 per cent for those aged 35 to 54.

READ MORE: Spot a COVIDIOT? Here’s how to report coronavirus rule-breakers

Those numbers rose to 32 per cent for those between the ages of 18 and 34.

Darrell Bricker, CEO of Ipsos, said he expects those who report not following social distancing fall into two categories: those like essential workers who cannot distance as strictly as non-essential workers, and those who feel like the rules don’t apply to them.

“There’s people who will have ideological predisposition to not think that government should be having this much control over our lives,” he said.

Story continues below advertisement

“I would expect it’s those two groups of people: the larger probably being the people who feel that they’re doing their best to avoid the situation, but because of the work or other responsibilities, they are incapable of living up to what they see as the standard.”






0:40
Prime Minister and premiers get top marks for COVID-19 response: Ipsos poll


Prime Minister and premiers get top marks for COVID-19 response: Ipsos poll

Older Canadians have the highest risk of dying from COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. But COVID-19 has also killed Canadians in their 20s and 30s.

Roughly 10 to 15 per cent of those under the age of 50 who get infected end up with moderate to severe symptoms, according to the World Health Organization.

As it stands now, all travellers returning to Canada are legally required to go into quarantine for 14 days once they arrive back in the country. That means no going outside for exercise, no walking the dog, no grocery shopping and no doing errands.

Anyone who has tested positive must do the same.

But although the invocation of the Quarantine Act makes those legal requirements, there have been repeated questions about whether law enforcement and public officials can actually enforce those rules.

There have been cases across the country of snowbirds returning from the U.S. — now the global epicentre of the pandemic — only to stop by grocery stores on their way home.

Story continues below advertisement

One Vancouver Island couple refused to self-isolate after returning from international travel but appear not to have faced any penalties for that refusal.

All Canadians, even those who have not travelled abroad or not been experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, have been ordered not to leave their homes except for essential business like getting groceries, and to try to limit that to only once a week.

Going for a daily walk is also permitted so long as individuals keep six feet away from anyone else.






0:40
Coronavirus outbreak: Ford considering charges for those caught breaking physical distancing advice


Coronavirus outbreak: Ford considering charges for those caught breaking physical distancing advice

Exclusive Global News Ipsos polls are protected by copyright. The information and/or data may only be rebroadcast or republished with full and proper credit and attribution to “Global News Ipsos.”

This Ipsos poll on behalf of Global News was an online survey of 1,006 Canadians conducted between April 3 and 7. The results were weighted to better reflect the composition of the adult Canadian population, according to census data. The precision of Ipsos online polls is measured using a credibility interval. In this case, the poll is considered accurate to within plus or minus 3.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

News

Uber getting into grocery delivery business in Canada – CBC.ca

Published

on


Uber Technologies Inc. is getting into the grocery delivery business and is using some Canadian cities to help it launch the venture.

The San Francisco-based tech giant said Tuesday that users in Montreal and Toronto can now order groceries through its Uber and Uber Eats apps.

“They’ll be able to place orders from local merchants and receive them in as little as one to two hours,” Daniel Danker, who runs Uber’s product team, told reporters.

A demonstration of the new service showed thousands of items available from retailers including Walmart, Metro, Rexall, Costco, Longos, Pet Valu and Well.ca.

The company’s foray into the grocery sector comes after Uber advertised in November 2018 that it was hiring a head of grocery product in Toronto.

The company remained secretive about the role, but a year later, Uber’s potential interest in a grocery service was a hot topic again when it announced it was acquiring a majority stake in Chilean grocery delivery startup Cornershop.

The deal was held up by a Mexican Competition Authority investigation, but is supposed to close in the coming days.

Competition in grocery delivery market

Cornershop will serve as Uber’s partner in the grocery delivery venture, which will launch in more than a dozen Latin American cities alongside the Canadian markets.

Uber faces stiff competition with its new service. Amazon.com Inc. and Instacart are already going head-to-head with supermarket brands like Walmart and Loblaw Companies Ltd.

Uber believes it can edge out some of the competition because it sees groceries as a natural extension of its booming food delivery service and a way for the company to become a one-stop shop for every meal.

Grocery delivery has only become more important during the COVID-19 pandemic because more Canadians have transitioned to work from home and Uber’s ride-hailing business is still in “recovery mode,” according to Danker.

“I think this would have made a lot sense in a pre-COVID world, but our world has just fundamentally changed and so this represents even more of a huge responsibility for us,” Danker said.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Federal-provincial co-ordination might have prevented COVID-19 outbreak, says premier – CBC.ca

Published

on


An outbreak of COVID-19 in the Maritimes on the weekend might have been avoided if Canada Border Services had better communication with the provinces, says P.E.I. Premier Dennis King.

The outbreak, including four out of five new cases on P.E.I. and one in Nova Scotia, started with a man travelling from the U.S. to Canada on a student visa. The man was reportedly planning to study on P.E.I. but was turned away at Confederation Bridge because he did not have pre-approval.

As it turned out, the man did have COVID-19. He spread it to a P.E.I. man he met with in Nova Scotia, and the Island man spread it to three other people back on P.E.I.

Speaking on CBC’s Island Morning Tuesday, King said while he doesn’t have the specifics of this case, it is likely the man would not have been admitted to the province for study at this time, despite having a student visa allowing him to study in Canada.

“We need to have a greater, in-synch protocol in place between the border services and the provincial jurisdictions,” said King.

“When an individual crosses the international border, such as into Toronto, are border agents asking them if your final destination is X, have you been in touch with that jurisdiction to make sure all of your protocols are met. What we’re trying to determine now is, is that question being asked.”

King noted that P.E.I. has turned away dozens of travellers at Confederation Bridge for not having documentation.

Governments are still working on putting in place systems so that border controls can work efficiently and effectively, King said.

Bubble still open

The new cases in the Maritimes came on the same weekend as freedom of movement around Atlantic Canada.

With the opening of the Atlantic bubble, residents of the four eastern provinces can move around the region without having to self-isolate. Border controls between the provinces remain in place.

Officials on P.E.I. have emphasized that this outbreak is in no way connected to the Atlantic bubble, and King said he is not at this time considering closing it.

Dozens of travellers have been turned back at Confederation Bridge because they did not have the proper documentation. (Brian Higgins/CBC)

P.E.I.’s contact tracing system was tested by this outbreak and it worked very well, he said.

“In this particular case I’m very, very pleased and proud of the public health officials and how they’ve undertaken their jobs,” said King.

He said he would only consider closing the bubble if an outbreak caused a strain on either the contact tracing system or the health system.

But he emphasized he is ready to shut the bubble down, and do it quickly, to protect the health of Islanders.

More from CBC P.E.I. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

News

Canada adds 288 new coronavirus cases as curve continues to flatten – Globalnews.ca

Published

on


Canada reported 288 more confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus Monday, maintaining a pattern of relatively low daily case counts that has now flattened since late June.

The number was nearly identical to the totals recorded for Saturday and Sunday. Many provinces waited until Monday to report those numbers, taking a weekend break from daily updates.

Read more:
How many Canadians have the new coronavirus? Total number of confirmed cases by region

Nine more deaths were reported Monday as well, three of them in Quebec — marking the lowest death toll for the province since April 2. The remaining six were in British Columbia, representing a cumulative total since Friday. One of the deaths occurred in June, but has only now been attributed to COVID-19.

Ontario also reported no new deaths Monday for the first time since the end of March.

Story continues below advertisement

Canada has now seen 105,915 lab-confirmed cases, along with 8,693 deaths. A total of 69,570 cases have since recovered.

Although it didn’t see any new deaths, Ontario still reported 154 new coronavirus cases Monday, and Quebec saw 74 more cases.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Nova Scotia reported one new case, the only Atlantic province to do so Monday.

Read more:
Scientists warn coronavirus could be airborne — What does this mean for Canadians?

Saskatchewan saw three more cases over the past 24 hours, while Manitoba stayed clear of new infections. Alberta added 49 new cases, and British Columbia reported seven.

While the Yukon and Northwest Territories haven’t reported any new cases for over two months now, Nunavut is awaiting confirmation of its first-ever presumptive case, which was reported Thursday.

Story continues below advertisement

All provinces and territories are in the midst of slowly reopening their economies after weeks of shutdowns at the height of the pandemic, which federal modelling suggests remains on a downward trajectory.

Daily totals of new cases have been hovering around 300 for over a week, after spiking past 400 in late June.






0:53
We could see a rise in diseases like COVID-19 because of climate change


We could see a rise in diseases like COVID-19 because of climate change

Worldwide, the novel coronavirus pandemic has grown to over 11.5 million confirmed cases and has killed at least 536,000 people, according to public health data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

Story continues below advertisement

In the United States, confirmed cases are closing in on three million as cases continue to surge in several states. The country has been reporting an average of 50,000 new cases daily since the end of June.

Researchers and public health officials around the world say the true number of infections is likely far higher due to limitations in testing.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending