Connect with us

Media

Myanmar army hunts 7 protest supporters over social media comments – CBC.ca

Published

 on


Myanmar’s army is hunting for seven well-known supporters of protests against this month’s coup and they face charges over comments on social media that threaten national stability, the army said on Saturday.

Among those named was Min Ko Naing, a one-time leader of bloodily suppressed protests in 1988, who has made calls supporting the street demonstrations and a civil disobedience campaign.

All seven are opponents of the Feb. 1 coup in which the military took over and elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi was detained. The majority are also supporters of her National League for Democracy party.

The announcement came on the eighth day of protests across the Southeast Asian country against the coup, which halted an unsteady transition to democracy that began in 2011 and roused fears of a return to an earlier era of repression.

WATCH | Thousands take to the streets to protest Myanmar’s coup:

Myanmar police fired water cannons into pro-democracy crowds in at least three different cities as protests continue against the military’s seizure of power on Feb. 1. 0:46

People should inform the police if they spot any of the seven people named and will be punished if they shelter them, the army’s True News information team said in a statement on its Facebook page on Saturday.

It said cases had been filed under section 505 (b) of the penal code, which was often used by previous juntas and imposes a sentence of up to two years for comments that could cause alarm or “threaten tranquility.”

“I am so proud to have a warrant issued along with Min Ko Naing. Catch me if you can,” said one of those named, NLD lobbyist Ei Pencilo, on her Facebook page, which has over 1.6 million followers.

The United Nations human rights office said on Friday more than 350 people have been arrested in Myanmar since the coup.

Journalist Shwe Yee Win, who had reported on opposition to the coup in the western town of Pathein, was taken away by police and soldiers on Thursday and has not been heard from since, her TimeAyeyar news website and her mother said.

“I am really worried,” said Thein Thein, now looking after her daughter’s one-year-old child. “Her son is in trouble now since she was breastfeeding him. She didn’t even get chance to put on her shoes before they took her.”

The government did not respond to requests for comment.

Families left in the dark

Anger in Myanmar has been fuelled by videos showing more arrests of government critics, including a doctor who was part of the civil disobedience movement. Some arrests have taken place during the hours of darkness.

The Assistance Association for Political Prisoners, a watchdog group for political prisoners, voiced concern.

“Family members are left with no knowledge of the charges, location, or condition of their loved ones. These are not isolated incidents, and nighttime raids are targeting dissenting voices,” it said in a statement.

A demonstrator wearing a costume from ”La Casa de Papel (Money Heist)” holds a sign during a protest against the military coup in Yangon, Myanmar, Feb.13, 2021. (Reuters)

The army said it had seized power because of alleged fraud in a November election that Suu Kyi’s NLD won in a landslide. The electoral commission had dismissed the army’s complaints.

Suu Kyi, for decades the standard bearer of the fight for democracy in Myanmar, faces charges of illegally importing and using six walkie-talkie radios.

NLD press officer Kyi Toe said on Facebook that she was healthy under house arrest in the capital Naypyitaw.

The 47-member UN Human Rights Council adopted a resolution on Friday calling on Myanmar to release Suu Kyi and other detainees and to refrain from using violence ion protesters.

Thomas Andrews, the UN rights investigator for Myanmar, said the UN Security Council should consider imposing sanctions and arms embargoes on Myanmar.

WATCH | Protesters drenched by water cannons in Myanmar:

Protesters chanted for the release of detained leader Aung San Suu Kyi on Saturday as Myanmar’s military sought to quash the unrest by blocking internet access. 1:11

The United States this week began imposing sanctions on the ruling generals and some businesses linked to them.

Airline staff, health workers, engineers and school teachers were among groups that joined the protest marches on Saturday and that have rallied to a civil disobedience campaign that has shut down a swath of government business.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Halifax police, school investigate attack on student in social media video – Global News

Published

 on


A video showing several teenagers attacking another student at the Halifax Common surfaced on social media on Friday. Halifax police and the regional education centre say they are investigating the “very disturbing” incident.

The incident, involving students from Citadel High School, occurred Thursday afternoon after class.

The video circulating on social media shows three teenagers walking behind a student. After the student lays on the ground, a second student is seen stomping on his head. Another individual filming could be heard egging the fight.

“The school has spoken with everyone involved and the aggressors and their families know there are consequences for those actions, even though it happened off school property,” says Doug Hadley, spokesperson for the Halifax Regional Centre for Education.

Read more:
Two people dead after early morning fire in Hilden: N.S. RCMP

Story continues below advertisement

The school has also contacted police, who have confirmed they are investigating the incident.

“Halifax Regional Police would like to confirm that we have received reports of an incident captured in a video involving a physical altercation between some youths,” HRP said in a news release Friday night.

“We can confirm that we have an ongoing investigation into this matter. Due to the age of the parties involved, we are unable to provide specific details.

“We would like to assure the public that we take the matter seriously and are taking all necessary steps in this ongoing matter.”

Early Saturday afternoon, Citadel High School principal Joe Morrison released a statement saying the incident is being taken seriously.

“We were made aware of the incident on Friday and spent considerable time addressing the situation.

“Late Friday afternoon, we became aware that a video of the incident was circulating on social media,” Morrison wrote.

“We also learned there is a narrative circulating suggesting the person on the ground has special needs. This is not the case and distracts from what actually happened.”


Click to play video 'Surveillance video shows RCMP officers after shooting at Nova Scotia fire hall'



1:52
Surveillance video shows RCMP officers after shooting at Nova Scotia fire hall


Surveillance video shows RCMP officers after shooting at Nova Scotia fire hall

As for the student attacked, authorities say he is doing fine and attended school on Friday, but that doesn’t change the seriousness of the incident.

Story continues below advertisement

“It’s very disturbing for anyone who’s seen it, so it’s a matter of great concern for everyone who is involved,” Hadley says.

He is also pleading for everyone to stop sharing the video of the attack.

“It’s sharing a video of someone being attacked, and they’re being filmed without their consent, and so every time we share that it can lead to further victimization,” Hadley says.

“It can be harmful on many different levels,” he says, adding that there is also an issue of reputation. “This might be reflective of the larger community when in fact we know that not to be true, and that Citadel High and its students have many things to be proud of.

“But there’s also a feeling that there’s a risk, that others might think that’s acceptable behavior when it’s clearly not.”

Police say the investigation into the incident is ongoing and the school has stated that there will be consequences for the students involved.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

March 6th Media Release – Brandon Police Service

Published

 on


March 6th, 2021

Brandon Police Service Media Release for the Past 24 Hours.

Theft Under $5000

A male youth was arrested on Friday afternoon for Theft Under $5000. A report was received from a business in the 900 block of Victoria Ave of a male stealing $300 in electronics from the business.   The suspect was identified and located on Friday afternoon. He was arrested for the theft and released to appear in court in May.

Fail to Comply with Release Order

A male youth from Brandon was arrested on Friday for breaching two conditions of a release order. On March 4th, he attended to his ex-girlfriends residence contrary to a condition of the order. He was also not located at his residence and was in breach of a second condition. He was located on Friday, arrested and held for remand. 

Break and Enter Warrant executed

A 33 year old Brandon man was arrested on a warrant for Break Enter and Commit Mischief. The man was located in the 1900 block of Brandon Ave and arrested on the warrant. He was released to appear in court in May.

Assault

A male youth from Brandon was arrested on Friday afternoon on charges of Assault and Defamatory Libel. The accused assaulted a female by striking her with a stick while they were skating. The accused had also spread rumours that the victim was sharing nude photos with him. He will appear in court in May.

Breach of Release Order/Obstruct Police Officer

On Friday evening officers responded to a report of an intoxicated man causing disturbance in the 900 block of Victoria Ave. The man was located nearby and he was found to be on a court order with a curfew of 9 pm. The man was arrested and lodged. A second man who was the first man’s father interfered with the investigation and was arrested and charged with Obstructing a police officer. The two man, an 18 year old and 42 year old, both residents of York Landing Mb were lodged and later released to appear in court in April.

Other arrests

A 48 year old Brandon man was arrested on a warrant for Assault, Possession of Property Obtained by Crime and Failing to Attend Court. He was released to appear in court in May.

A 29 year old Brandon was arrested on an arrest for warrant for Breach of Probation. He was released to appear in court in May.

A 35 year old woman from Waywayseecappo turned herself in at the police service on Friday as she was aware of a warrant for her arrest. She was arrested and released to appear in court in May.

V.W. (Bill) Brown #114, Staff Sergeant

NCO i/c D Platoon

204 729 2319

 

Anyone with information on any unsolved crime is asked to call Brandon Crime Stoppers at 204-727-(TIPS) 8477, or by texting BCSTIP and your message to CRIMES (274637).  Crime Stoppers pays up to $2000.00 cash for information that leads to the solution of a crime.

CRIME STOPPERS 204-727-TIPS

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Social Media Buzz: Crypto Mogul Bids $2 Million for Dorsey Tweet – BNN

Published

 on


(Bloomberg) — What’s buzzing on social media this morning:

Jack Dorsey, Twitter’s co-founder and chief executive, is selling his first-ever tweet — “just setting up my twttr”– on a website called Valuables that auctions tweets. The highest bid is $2 million as of Saturday morning in New York, by Justin Sun, the Chinese crypto entrepreneur who earlier won an auction for Warren Buffett’s charity dinner.

  • Valuables said on its website that owning any digital content can be a “financial investment, hold sentimental value, and create a relationship between collector and creator,” just like an autographed baseball card.
  • The website, launched three months ago, allows people to purchase a digital certificate of a tweet, which can be issued only once and signed by the creator using cryptography. The tweet itself will continue to stay on Twitter.

Microsoft is trending on Twitter after a report shows a China-linked hack affected at least 30,000 organizations across the U.S., including small businesses and local governments. The hackers exploited previously unknown flaws of the software. Jen Psaki, the White House press secretary, said the incident is an “active threat” and could have “far-reaching impacts.”

The Senate is on track to pass President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion stimulus bill as early as midday Saturday after a compromise reduced added unemployment benefits to $300 a week, one of several ways moderate Democrats shaped the bill to be less generous than the House version.

  • Biden has moved rapidly to shape his the image of his presidency, drawing obvious contrasts with Donald Trump. The president starts his days with an early morning workout in the gym of the White House residence, watching MSNBC or CNN, and doesn’t read Twitter unless someone shows him a tweet, Bloomberg News reported.

A trending op-ed on The Washington Post said, “If you’re upset about Hunter Biden, Elaine Chao should send you into fits of rage.” The author argued Republicans have been much more muted when it comes to the matter of the former transportation secretary and wife of Mitch McConnell.

  • Chao attempted to include members of her family, who run a shipping line, on an official government trip in apparent violation of ethics rules, a report by The Transportation Department’s Inspector General found earlier.

Reddit said it’s investigating elevated error rates Saturday morning after some users reported they have problems opening the website.

©2021 Bloomberg L.P.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending