Find out the latest on COVID-19’s impact on the sports world and when sports are returning by subscribing to Breaking News push notifications in the Sports and COVID-19 section.
At least one NHL club has asked its players to be ready to report May 15 to start informal workouts that would precede a training camp lasting up to three weeks, according to the New York Post’s Larry Brooks.
However, not every team has reportedly done so.
NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly responded Thursday by saying the league hasn’t given its teams any timetables pertaining to the resumption of play.
“I don’t know what clubs are telling their players,” Daly wrote to Brooks. “We have not specified or articulated any ‘target dates’ to our clubs at this point.”
“We’re not going to rush anything,” commissioner Gary Bettman told Sportsnet’s Ron MacLean on Wednesday night.
Last week, the league recommended its players, coaches, and staff continue self-quarantining through April 30. It was the third time that date had been extended beyond March 27. The season was paused March 12 amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Florida Panthers president Matthew Caldwell said Wednesday that the NHL was targeting a return in July.
Earlier in April, Bettman stated teams would need a two-to-three-week training camp before the season could resume.
Amanda Nunes on possible COVID-19 infection: ‘I never felt like that before’ – Bloody Elbow
Amanda Nunes feels she won’t have any problems fighting amidst the coronavirus pandemic at her UFC 250. That is because the UFC’s female bantamweight and featherweight champion believes she already had a mild case of COVID-19 and is now completely recovered from it.
In an interview with Combate, Nunes talked about a trip to Las Vegas she took back in the beginning of the pandemic, where she was in contact with several people at once. Afterwards, Nunes described coming down with a strong sickness, which left her bedridden and feverish for a few days. Although she was never tested, the ‘Lioness’ feels like it was a case of COVID-19.
“I was at a convention in Vegas. There were people from all over the world. I was exposed to a lot of people while I was there. When I got home, I was sick. I had the same symptoms as the coronavirus. Now that I’m headed to a UFC card, I’ll know for sure. When I got back from the trip, I went straight to bed, I had a fever, my body really ached. I never felt like that before.”
“I’ve been sick before, but I never felt the way I did when I got back from Vegas after the convention.” Nunes continued. “Then I got sick, I was bedridden for two, three days, and later on Nina (Ansaroff, Amanda’s wife) caught it and got sick, too. So I believe I had a fast case of coronavirus, but now I’ll know if I really had it. I should be immune now, right? Once you get it, you’re immune, I read something along those lines. Then I’ll really know.”
Although there are no well documented cases of reinfection, scientists remain unsure as to whether or not you can be reinfected with COVID-19. There were cases of reinfection reported in South Korea. However, it was determined that those patients’ second positive tests for the virus were because they still had genetic material connected to COVID-19 in their body left over from their initial infection. These patients were also determined to not be secretors of the virus.
Currently on a 10-fight winning streak in the UFC, Amanda Nunes (19-4), will try to defend her featherweight title for the first time since taking it from Cris Cyborg, back in December 2018. After the win, the 32-year-old successfully defended the bantamweight title twice, against Holly Holm and, most recently, against Germaine de Randamie, in December 2019. The Brazilian’s last and sole loss in the Octagon dates back to September 2014, when she was TKO’d by Cat Zingano.
Now, Amanda Nunes is expected to meet Felicia Spencer at UFC 250’s main event, on June 6, at the UFC Apex, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Drew Brees issues apology for comments on kneeling during anthem – Sportsnet.ca
“I would like to apologize to my friends, teammates, the City of New Orleans, the black community, NFL community and anyone I hurt with my comments yesterday. In speaking with some of you, it breaks my heart to know the pain I have caused,” Brees said in an Instagram post. “In an attempt to talk about respect, unity, and solidarity centered around the American flag and the national anthem, I made comments that were insensitive and completely missed the mark on the issues we are facing right now as a country.
“They lacked awareness and any type of compassion or empathy. Instead, those words have become divisive and hurtful and have misled people into believing that somehow I am an enemy. This could not be further from the truth, and is not an accurate reflection of my heart or my character.”
On Wednesday, in an interview with Yahoo Finance‘s Daniel Roberts, Brees was asked how the NFL should respond if players decide to once again kneel during the national anthem in protest of police brutality in the United States — as former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick first did in 2016 — particularly in the wake of the killing of George Floyd.
Brees did not offer his support, saying he “will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America, or our country,” and describing his own experience of hearing the anthems:
“Let me just tell you what I see or what I feel when the national anthem is played or when I look at the flag of the United States,” he told Roberts. “I envision my two grandfathers — who fought for this country during World War II — one in the army and one in the marine corps, both risking their lives to protect our country and to try to make our country and this world a better place. So every time I stand with my hand over my heart and looking at that flag and singing the national anthem — that’s what I think about,” said Brees.
“And in many cases, it brings me to tears, thinking about all that has been sacrificed, not just those in the military, but for that matter, those throughout the civil rights movements of the ’60s and all that has been endured by so many people up until this point. And is everything right with our country right now? No, it’s not. We still have a long way to go. But I think what you do by standing there and show respect to the flag with your hand over your heart is it shows unity. It shows we are all in this together. We can all do better. And we are all part of the solution.”
In his apology Thursday, Brees said the following of his support for the Black community:
“This is where I stand: I stand with the black community in the fight against systemic racial injustice and police brutality and support the creation of real policy change that will make a difference,” his post read. “I condemn the years of oppression that have taken place throughout our black communities and still exists today. I acknowledge that we as Americans, including myself, have not done enough to fight for that equality or to truly understand the struggles and plight of the black community. I recognize that I am part of the solution and can be a leader for the black community in this movement.
“I will never know what it’s like to be a black man or raise black children in America but I will work every day to put myself in those shoes and fight for what is right. I have ALWAYS been an ally, never an enemy. I am sick about the way my comments were perceived yesterday, but I take full responsibility and accountability. I recognize that I should do less talking and more listening… and when the black community is talking about their pain, we all need to listen.
“For that, I am very sorry and I ask your forgiveness.”
MLS close on Orlando tournament with CBA – TSN
Major League Soccer and its players’ union reached an agreement that paves the way for a summer tournament in Florida after the season was suspended by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The deal was announced by the MLS Players Association on Wednesday following tense talks and the league threatening a lockout. Players from Toronto FC, the Montreal Impact, Vancouver Whitecaps and other markets skipped training the last two days as the two sides remained at odds.
“Although I’m relieved and excited that a deal has finally been made to get us back to play, the tactics that were used by the league were very unfortunate and upsetting,” said Whitecaps fullback Jake Nerwinski.
“I’m proud that even though at some points the players had their back against the wall, we never gave in. We stood in solidarity and remained a unified coalition to get a deal done.”
MLS and the union agreed Feb. 6 to a five-year labour contract, but the deal had not been ratified when the season was stopped on March 12 after only two matches had been played by each team.
The players agreed to a 7.5 per cent pay cut dating back to their last paycheque of May 31, said Nerwinski.
The ratified collective-bargaining agreement was announced in the midst of protests over police brutality and injustice against African Americans sparked by the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis last week. Both sides noted the unrest in announcing the contract.
“There are problems we face collectively that are both more urgent, and more important, than competing on the field,” the union said in a statement. “We hope our return to the field will allow fans a momentary release and a semblance of normalcy.”
FC Cincinnati defender Nick Hagglund, a former Toronto FC player, said there was no winner.
“Both sides are conceding. But ultimately it’s moving forward and soccer’s going to be back and I think that’s the important thing,” he said.
Nashville SC defender Daniel Lovitz, formerly of both Toronto and Montreal, said players were “excited and relieved” to get back to action at the Florida tournament “pending the resolution of a lot of important details that I’m sure will be communicated rather soon.”
MLS commissioner Don Garber vowed the league will go further with its public stance for equality.
“We’ve tried to create programs that would address some of the things that are important to our core values. I have to say that it’s not enough to produce ads, it’s not enough just to have programs that talk about these issues,” he said.
Garber said the league expects to take a US$1-billion revenue hit because of the coronavirus.
The revised CBA, a six-year deal through 2025, includes across-the-board pay cuts and reduced bonuses.
One of the sticking points was a clause that allows either side to opt out of the deal because of unforeseen circumstances, like a pandemic. The agreement does not tie the clause to attendance, something the league had sought.
The agreement also changes the players’ share of media rights negotiated in the original CBA. The share will drop from 25 per cent to 12.5 per cent in 2023, but will be restored to 25 per cent in 2024.
Details of the Florida tournament were still being finalized. The league’s 26 teams and limited staff would be based in the Orlando area and matches played without fans at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports Complex at Disney World.
Whitecaps midfielder Andy Rose, who has diabetes and whose wife is due to give birth in July, said he will have to review details of the tournament to decide on his participation.
“My personal situation is a tricky one,” he said. “I know there’s other guys around the league in the same spot.”
Garber said the tournament would last no longer than 35 days but he would not reveal additional details.
The union announced Sunday night that players had voted for an agreement but MLS pushed back on the terms and imposed a deadline for a lockout.
Garber said it was his decision to threaten the lockout, a move that was criticized.
“It’s not something that I did without a lot of thought and without a lot of concern and a lot of understanding as to what impact that would have on our players and on the negotiation,” Garber said. “But it was something, as the leader of this league that I believed was necessary in order for us to get to the point today.”
Nashville defender Eric Miller, a member of the MLSPA executive board, said on social media that he was proud of the players, “although the process and tactics used by MLS left a mark.”
“Players showed commitment and strength throughout this entire process,” Miller said. “We are all excited to get back on the field and be a positive force for change in our communities.”
'It's out there': Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph issues warning after discovery of bat with rabies west of Orangeville – Orangeville Banner
Final roundtable: Clean economy projects could create 670000 jobs per year – Corporate Knights Magazine
Crunch time coming for Coast Art Crawl – Coast Reporter
- Tech22 hours ago
Cyber Security Today
- Tech13 hours ago
REVIEW: Content is king in 'Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics' – The Chronicle Journal
- Sports14 hours ago
How the NBA’s restart plan impacts the Toronto Raptors – TSN
- Sports22 hours ago
NBA’s Board Of Governors To Approve 22-Team Return-To-Play
- Media21 hours ago
Watch what you say about COVID-19 on social media, Quebec College of Physicians warns its members – CTV News Montreal
- Health18 hours ago
Hydroxychloroquine doesn’t prevent COVID-19 in people exposed to the virus, study finds – Globalnews.ca
- Art15 hours ago
Dan Fumano: Questions, shock as art studio's death blamed on COVID-19 – Vancouver Sun
- Art19 hours ago
Penticton art centre evicted after School District refuse cheaper lease – iNFOnews