7 hours ago
Rachel Bloom and her husband, Dan Gregor, found themselves stranded during a snowstorm on Friday night.
The “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” star, who is seven months pregnant, tweeted out asking for help after getting caught in the storm in Bakersfield, California.
“Hi. My husband and I are stranded in Bakersfield. Does…anyone have a place we could sleep?” she asked. “We are stranded here or theoretically north of here (every highway going south is closed) and every hotel that’s open is at least a 2 hour drive away and we’re about to just sleep in our car.”
A local couple, Karen and Chris, came to the rescue after seeing the call for help on social media.
“We were about to go to bed,” Karen told KGET News.
“They were about to go to sleep in a Denny’s parking lot,” Chris added. So the couple invited them to stay at their place which included “cats and dogs and pie and bagels.”
“Nobody should have to sleep in their car when it’s 30F outside.” Karen added, “We all agreed she would name the child, Karen Stephen Kay.”
Bloom and Gregor took up the offer, later tweeting out her thanks, “Gregor and I were able to sleep in a warm bed last night (unlike the thousands of people who were forced to sleep in their cars). Beware if you’re taking the 5, 58 or 15!”
Media Advisory – Government Of Canada to Make Announcement Related to Housing in St. Catharines – Canada NewsWire
ST. CATHARINES, ON, July 3, 2020 /CNW/ – The federal government will be making an announcement related to housing in St. Catharines.
Media are invited to join Chris Bittle, Member of Parliament for St. Catharines, on behalf of The Honourable Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development.
July 6, 2020
176 Oakdale Avenue
St. Catharines, ON
Media are asked to wear sturdy shoes and a medical or cloth mask.
In the interest of ensuring adherence to the 10-person limit on gatherings, media are requested to RSVP to Wilbur McLean at [email protected].
SOURCE Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
For further information: Wilbur McLean, CMHC, 416-218-3331, [email protected]
In shake-up, UK government plans televised media briefings – Toronto Star
LONDON – British Prime Minister Boris Johnson says his government will introduce White House-style televised media briefings, in a shake-up to the traditional system of political communication.
For years, political journalists have been briefed off-camera but on the record by the prime minister’s official spokespeople, who are civil servants rather than political appointees. The briefings usually take place twice a day, though during the U.K.’s coronavirus lockdown they have been held once a day by conference call.
The government said Friday that it plans to replace the afternoon briefing with a televised event hosted by a professional broadcaster. The morning briefing will continue in the current format. The change will take effect later this year.
Johnson told LBC radio that the government’s daily televised coronavirus news conferences had been a success. The briefings involving ministers and scientists were held daily between March and late June.
“People have liked a more direct, detailed information from the government about what is going on,” Johnson said.
“We do think that people want direct engagement and want stuff from us, and so we’re going to have a go at that.”
Johnson said he would “pop up from time to time” at the briefings.
Viewers around the world are used to seeing televised White House briefings by the U.S. president’s press secretary, though these have become sporadic under the Trump administration.
Take coronavirus seriously, Iranian state media urge people – TheChronicleHerald.ca
(Reuters) – Total coronavirus cases rose to 235,429 in Iran on Friday, with 154 deaths in the past 24 hours bringing the death toll to 11,260, authorities said as the country tries to fend off new infections after easing its lockdown restrictions.
Eight out of 31 provinces are considered in a red status, meaning the epidemic has been on the rise, while seven, including the province where Tehran is located, are on alert as the virus is still a threat, Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on state TV.
State television is airing warnings such as “Coronavirus is very close” and “Let’s take the coronavirus danger seriously”.
Authorities launched a campaign on June 27 to motivate a reluctant public to use face masks. Reporters interviewing people in the streets chastise those who are not wearing them.
The country, which has had the worst coronavirus outbreak in the Middle East, has seen a sharp increase in infections and deaths since restrictions were gradually lifted from mid-April.
It has been divided up into white, yellow, and red regions based on the number of infections and deaths.
(Editing by Frances Kerry)
TSX Composite ends strong week on a down note – BNN
MLB cancels 2020 All-Star Game, Dodgers to host in 2022 – Sportsnet.ca
Health unit instructing commercial businesses to ramp up face covering – Sudbury.com
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019 – report – MINING.com
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Science19 hours ago
‘Very little risk’ that pets can infect owners with COVID-19
- Tech21 hours ago
Captain America is now in Fortnite – The Verge
- Health22 hours ago
More COVID-19 cases linked to 3rd Kingston-area nail salon – CBC.ca
- News23 hours ago
WE Charity saw resignations, departures from senior ranks before landing government contract – CBC.ca
- Tech18 hours ago
Captain America Takes A Break From The Avengers To Play Some Fortnite – Nintendo Life
- Sports15 hours ago
Ryan Kesler chirps Oilers fans after ripping Edmonton | Offside – Daily Hive
- Health17 hours ago
Moderna executives cashing in on COVID-19 vaccine stock speculation – The Globe and Mail
- News19 hours ago
Canada adds 302 coronavirus cases on Thursday