Within hours of the assassination of a history teacher by an 18-year-old Islamist in France on Friday, fingers were pointed at social media platforms for having helped motivate the killer before he decapitated Samuel Paty and then for allowing him to gruesomely claim responsibility moments afterwards.
“Things began on social media and they ended on social media,” said Gabriel Attal, the French government spokesman. “We have to do better at bringing them under control.”
Paty’s fellow-teachers at the school in Conflans-Saint-Honorine near Paris expressed “deep concern about the impact of social media” in a joint statement on Tuesday. They called the speed and irreversibility of the messages broadcast “a real plague for the exercise of our profession”.
Marlène Schiappa, minister for citizenship, summoned representatives of social media groups, including Facebook-Instagram, Twitter, Google-YouTube, TikTok and Snapchat, to a meeting on “cyber-Islamism” on Tuesday and demanded they take responsibility for content on their platforms.
Big social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter were already under pressure in Europe, the US and Asia to curb the spread of fake news and hate speech and to stop turning a blind eye to the promotion of violence.
Last year, the platforms pledged to boost their moderation capabilities and introduced new hate speech policies, after a white supremacist killed 51 people in an attack on two mosques in New Zealand and livestreamed the footage via Facebook’s Live service.
More broadly, Facebook and YouTube have been criticised for helping extremist groups recruit, radicalise and organise — because their algorithms tend to push users towards provocative and eye-catching content.
Lately, concerns have centred on the rise on the platforms of armed militias in the US ahead of the presidential election, and of pro-Trump conspiracy group QAnon.
Officials and politicians say the killing of Paty will inevitably accelerate legislation in France and the EU designed to hold social media platforms responsible for the sometimes inflammatory content posted by their users.
Investigators are still trying to piece together the sequence of events that led to Abdoullakh Anzorov, a Chechen refugee, hacking off the head of a teacher who had shown pupils caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed in a class about freedom of speech.
But the fact that the murderer, who was shot dead by the police, came all the way from Evreux 80km to the west suggests that he learnt of Paty and Muslim complaints about him from videos posted on the internet. The videos were widely disseminated, with some pupils and parents at the school complaining they had been sent them multiple times.
Brahim Chnina, the father of one of the pupils in the school, had posted three videos highly critical of Paty, demanding he be fired and calling on people to take action, and BFMTV reported that he had been in touch with the killer via WhatsApp in the days before the assassination.
At least one of the videos could still be seen on Mr Chnina’s Facebook account on Monday evening. Mr Chnina made one of them with the help of Abdelhakim Sefrioui, an Islamist militant already categorised as a security risk by French intelligence. Both men have been detained.
After he had killed Paty, Anzorov sent a Twitter post with a picture of the severed head on the street addressed to President Emmanuel Macron, “leader of the infidels”, and boasted of killing “one of your hell dogs who dared to denigrate Mohammed”.
According to the newspaper Le Monde, Anzorov in recent weeks sent 400 tweets from that account, @Ttchetchene_270. The account had been notified in July to Pharos, a government site where the public can report lawbreaking or other concerns about the internet.
Twitter declined to say when it had removed the account — it is no longer visible — and refused to make any other comment on the attack. However, the company has said that Twitter does not tolerate terrorism or terrorism content and that its teams act “proactively on this type of content and are in contact with law enforcement agencies in order to act as quickly as possible”.
Facebook did not reply to requests for comment.
French leaders from Mr Macron down immediately announced plans to tighten controls on social media after what Mr Attal called the “public lynching” of Paty over the internet.
Gérald Darmanin, interior minister, said 80 investigations had been started since the attack into those who had sought to justify the murder or said the teacher “had it coming to him”.
Ironically, Mr Macron’s government had already finalised a law against internet hate in May, but its key clauses — including an obligation on social media networks to delete hateful content within 24 hours on pain of heavy fines, and a requirement for transparency — were struck down in June by the Constitutional Council on free-speech grounds.
Laetitia Avia, the member of parliament who drafted the law, described the killing of Paty as a tragedy which “reminds everyone that social media has been the terrain of dangerous content”.
She told the Financial Times on Monday she was continuing to work on the issue both in France and in Brussels, where the European Commission is set to present its new digital services law in December.
One problem, she noted, was that traditional media were counted in French law as publishers, while social media networks were treated as neutral “hosters”, even though they were really hybrids because their economic model meant they ranked and placed content to attract readers and viewers. Another problem was that apparently anodyne verbal violence was often a precursor to real violence.
“We must now treat dangerous content as a priority,” she said.
Police ID suspect after threat on social media against Bowmanville school – CBC.ca
A suspect has been identified after a threat was posted on social media against Clarington Central Secondary High School in Bowmanville, Durham Regional Police say.
Police say the suspect is a male from outside the region. No information has been released about the nature of the threat.
Officers were present at the school east of Toronto on Friday to ensure the safety of students and staff.
By the afternoon, police said in a tweet that investigators determined there were no safety concerns.
The threat against the school was made Thursday night, police say.
The investigation is ongoing and charges are pending.
Investigators from <a href=”https://twitter.com/DRPSEastDiv?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@DRPSEastDiv</a> have been able to identify a suspect and have determined there no safety concerns at this time. Police will release a full statement shortly. <a href=”https://t.co/XNRNMKC69e”>https://t.co/XNRNMKC69e</a>
Police investigating threatening social media post captured near Pointe-Claire school – CTV News Montreal
Montreal police were on site at John Rennie High School Thursday after threatening images were posted to social media, which may have featured a firearm.
The post included two images: the first showed what appeared to be the side of the school. The second image depicted a young man holding what appeared to be a firearm in an unknown location.
Police say the post is related to a conflict between two people who have yet to be identified, and that they were likely going to meet at the school. The threats were not directed toward the school itself.
Police got a call reporting the post at around 9:40 a.m.
Students remained in class while officers stationed themselves at the school. The board notified parents of the situation and asked them not to pick up their kids.
School board officials said in an internal note to parents that “at no point were staff or students in danger.”
School officials decided to send students home in the early afternoon as officers continued their investigation. Some were bussed out of school property at around 1 p.m.
Police say their firearm division is trying to learn more about the threats. There have been no arrests.
In a statement released later in the day, the Lester B. Pearson School Board thanked the police for acting quickly.
“Today’s incident was extremely regrettable and troubling,” the board said.
“We are extremely relieved and thankful for the prompt and thorough response of law enforcement and the professional way our staff managed the situation.”
A school spokesperson confirmed classes would resume Friday morning.
Media Advisory: Minister Osborne to Speak at YMCA Annual Enterprise Olympics Conference – News Releases – Government of Newfoundland and Labrador
The Honourable Tom Osborne, Minister of Education, will bring remarks at the YMCA Annual Enterprise Olympics Conference today (Friday, May 27).
The event takes place at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel, 5 Navigator Avenue, St. John’s at 12:30 p.m.
Enterprise Olympics is a program that encourages the growth of entrepreneurial thinking among students and teachers and provides a quality experience for young people considering careers in entrepreneurship.
– 30 –
Ellen DeGeneres makes her final entrance onto the Ellen Degeneres Show
US maintains it does not support Taiwan independence, China hints at chopping hands
BBC to layoff 1 000 staff workers
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Global Media Markets, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F – TV and Radio Broadcasting, Film and Music, Information Services, Web Content, Search Portals And Social Media, Print Media, & Cable – GlobeNewswire
Health17 hours ago
Monkeypox: Canada likely to see more cases – CTV News
News4 hours ago
Team Canada players raised 'concerns' about match with Iran before it was cancelled: Canada Soccer – CBC News
News4 hours ago
The Hypocrisy that is America (Gun Law)
Business7 hours ago
Why Is It Difficult to Get Hired During the Supposed ‘Great Resignation’?
News2 hours ago
Senegal: 11 newborn babies die in mysterious inferno
Art18 hours ago
ARTS AROUND: Spring-inspired art exhibit opens at Rollin Art Centre – Alberni Valley News
News5 hours ago
Police encounter people with pellet guns 'with regularity across Canada,' criminologist says – CBC.ca
News19 hours ago
‘Always hope’: Remains of Cree woman sent home to Alberta decades after disappearance