U.S. President Donald Trump is no longer taking the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine, he said in an interview Sunday, after weeks of promoting it as a treatment for the novel coronavirus.
In an interview with Sinclair Broadcast’s program “Full Measure With Sharyl Attkisson,” Trump said he had completed a two-week course of the drug, which has not been proven to prevent or treat COVID-19.
“Finished, just finished, yeah,” he said. “And by the way, I’m still here. To the best of my knowledge, here I am.”
A week ago, Trump revealed that he had been taking the drug himself to protect against the virus, despite his own officials cautioning that the drug should not be used outside of hospital or research settings, due to potentially fatal side effects.
His doctor did not prescribe it to him, he said. He requested it specifically.
The FDA-approved drug is used to treat malaria as well as lupus and arthritis. Trump has frequently touted it as a potential treatment in his press briefings, citing anecdotal evidence and limited studies.
In the Full Measure interview, Trump said he took the drug because two staffers in the White House had tested positive, reiterating that he had heard “tremendous reports” about the drug’s effects.
“[Hydroxychloroquine] has had tremendous, if you look at it, tremendous, rave reviews,” he said.
No rigorous, large-scale study has found the drug to be effective for treating or preventing COVID-19.
The World Health Organization announced Monday that it was temporarily dropping hydroxychloroquine from its list of experimental treatments under study. The WHO pointed to a paper published last week in the Lancet that said those taking the drug could be at a higher risk of death and heart problems.
Source: – CTV News
Edited By Harry Miller
Public health working to contain latest COVID-19 outbreaks – WellandTribune.ca
'No benefit' from hydroxychloroquine for virus: UK trial – The Jakarta Post – Jakarta Post
A major British clinical trial has found hydroxychloroquine has “no benefit” for patients hospitalized with COVID-19, scientists said Friday, in the first large-scale study to provide results for a drug at the center of political and scientific controversy.
Hydroxychloroquine, a decades-old malaria and rheumatoid arthritis drug, has been touted as a possible treatment for the new coronavirus by high profile figures, including US President Donald Trump, and has been included in several randomized clinical trials.
The University of Oxford’s Recovery trial, the biggest of these so far to come forward with findings, said that it would now stop recruiting patients to be given hydroxychloroquine “with immediate effect”.
“Our conclusion is that this treatment does not reduce the risk of dying from COVID among hospital patients and that clearly has a significant importance for the way patients are treated, not only in the UK, but all around the world,” said Martin Landray, an Oxford professor of medicine and epidemiology who co-leads the study.
The randomized clinical trial—considered the gold standard for clinical investigation—has recruited a total of 11,000 patients from 175 hospitals in the UK to test a range of potential treatments.
Other drugs continuing to be tested include: the combination of HIV antivirals Lopinavir and Ritonavir; a low dose of the steroid Dexamethasone, typically used to reduce inflammation; antibiotic Azithromycin; and the anti inflammatory drug Tocilizumab.
Researchers are also testing convalescent plasma from the blood of people who have recovered from COVID-19, which contains antibodies to fight the virus.
Researchers said 1,542 patients were randomly assigned to hydroxychloroquine and compared with 3,132 patients given standard hospital care alone.
They found “no significant difference” in mortality after 28 days between the two groups, and no evidence that treatment with the drug shortens the amount of time spent in hospital.
“This is a really important result, at last providing unequivocal evidence that hydroxychloroquine is of no value in treatment of patients hospitalized with COVID-19,” said Peter Openshaw, a professor at Imperial College London, in reaction to the results.
He added that the drug was “quite toxic” so halting the trials would be of benefit to patients.
Hydroxychloroquine has been in use for years but it has a number of potentially serious side effects, including heart arrhythmia.
Researchers from the Recovery trial said they would share their data with the World Health Organization (WHO), which on Wednesday restarted its own trials of hydroxychloroquine.
They were temporarily halted last month because of a now-retracted observational study in The Lancet medical journal that had suggested hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, a related compound, were ineffective against COVID-19 and even increased the risk of death.
Authors of The Lancet research said on Thursday that they could no longer vouch for the integrity of its underlying data, in the face of serious concerns raised by fellow scientists over a lack of clarity about the countries and hospitals that contributed patient information.
The scandal cast a shadow over The Lancet and another top medical journal, but it did nothing to clear up the increasingly politicized question of whether or not hydroxychloroquine works as a treatment for COVID-19.
Openshaw said the Recovery trial should be credited with continuing the research until they could reach a definitive conclusion on hydroxychloroquine.
“Everyone regrets that it doesn’t work, but knowing that allows us to focus on finding drugs that actually help recovery from COVID-19,” he added.
Oxford professor Peter Horby, the lead investigator on the Recovery Trial, said there was probably a “very large number” of people around the world taking hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19, with countries including the US, China and Brazil authorizing it.
A separate clinical trial on Wednesday in the US and Canada found that taking hydroxychloroquine shortly after being exposed to COVID-19 does not work to prevent infection significantly better than a placebo.
If you want to help in the fight against COVID-19, we have compiled an up-to-date list of community initiatives designed to aid medical workers and low-income people in this article. Link: [UPDATED] Anti-COVID-19 initiatives: Helping Indonesia fight the outbreak
No new coronavirus cases in Manitoba on Saturday – Globalnews.ca
Manitoba health officials say there are no new cases of the coronavirus identified as of Saturday morning.
Health officials say the total number of lab-confirmed positive and probable cases in the province remains at 300.
There are nine active cases as of Friday and 284 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19.
The number of deaths due to COVID-19 remains at seven.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Public health working to contain latest COVID-19 outbreaks – WellandTribune.ca
Small asteroid to safely fly by Earth on Saturday – SHINE
Conor McGregor retires (again) via Twitter moments after UFC 250 – MMA Fighting
- Tech9 hours ago
New release date for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Season 4 has been leaked – PCGamesN
- Sports17 hours ago
Donald Trump says Drew Brees shouldn't have backed off flag comments – CBC.ca
- Tech16 hours ago
iOS 14 roundup: What we know before WWDC 2020 – 9to5Mac
- Economy8 hours ago
Guardians of the World Economy Stagger From Rescue to Recovery – Yahoo Canada Finance
- Tech23 hours ago
New Redmi 9 alleged prices are ridiculously cheap for a smartphone with a quad-camera setup and 8-core MediaTek Helio G80 SoC – Notebookcheck.net
- Economy20 hours ago
Don’t Lose the Thread. The Economy Is Experiencing an Epic Collapse of Demand. – The New York Times
- Tech22 hours ago
Apple iOS 13.5.5 Can’t Come Soon Enough: Here Are 3 Reasons Why – Forbes
- News24 hours ago
Provincial border bans during pandemic anger barred Canadians, spark lawsuits – CBC.ca