Contrary to a globally reported blunder by the media on Friday, President Donald Trump did not say a positive report on U.S. job numbers was “good news for George Floyd.”
Here’s what Trump said:
“Equal justice under the law must mean that every American receives equal treatment in every encounter with law enforcement regardless of race, color, gender, or creed. They have to receive fair treatment from law enforcement. They have to receive it. We all saw what happened last week. We can’t let that happen.
“Hopefully, George is looking down right now and saying, ‘This is a great thing that’s happening for our country.’ It’s a great day for him. It’s a great day for everybody. This is a great day for everybody. This is a great, great day in terms of equality. It’s really what our Constitution requires and it’s what our country is all about.”
Clearly, Trump’s reference to Floyd was in the context of Americans agreeing everyone must be treated equally by police, not optimistic U.S. job numbers.
Despite their obvious blunder about what Trump said, which quickly went global and erupted on social media, few media organizations have corrected it.
Democrat presidential nominee Joe Biden, reacting to the inaccurate media reports, said what Trump said was “despicable.”
Some are now arguing it was outrageous for Trump to invoke Floyd’s name — he died in police custody, with the four fired police officers involved now facing a slew of major criminal charges — in any context.
But that deliberately ignores the point, which is that the media got the story wrong.
In another controversy involving Trump, a widely-circulated medical study published in the Lancet claiming patients with COVID-19 were more likely to die or suffer serious side effects from taking hydroxychloroquine has been retracted.
Based on this research, Trump was widely attacked for recommending the use of hydroxychloroquine and saying he was taking it himself to ward off COVID-19.
Trump should not be freelancing medical advice and it was dangerous for him to do so.
But as James Heathers, a research scientist at Boston’s Northeastern University, writing in the Guardian, observed, the retraction of the research paper is also alarming and potentially dangerous.
As Heathers wrote:
“The Lancet is one of the oldest and most respected medical journals in the world. Recently, they published an article on Covid patients receiving hydroxychloroquine with a dire conclusion: the drug increases heartbeat irregularities and decreases hospital survival rates. This result was treated as authoritative, and major drug trials were immediately halted — because why treat anyone with an unsafe drug?
“Now, that Lancet study has been retracted, withdrawn from the literature entirely, at the request of three of its authors who ‘can no longer vouch for the veracity of the primary data sources.’
“Given the seriousness of the topic and the consequences of the paper, this is one of the most consequential retractions in modern history.
“How did a paper of such consequence get discarded like a used tissue by some of its authors only days after publication? If the authors don’t trust it now, how did it get published in the first place?”
Heathers says the root problem is with the peer review process which, “at its worst … is merely window dressing that gives the unwarranted appearance of authority, a cursory process which confers no real value, enforces orthodoxy, and overlooks both obvious analytical problems and outright fraud entirely.”
Eagles’ DeSean Jackson apologizes after sharing anti-Semitic posts on social media
Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson has apologized after backlash for sharing anti-Semitic posts on social media over the weekend.
Jackson initially posted a screenshot of a quote widely attributed to Adolf Hitler, saying in part: “Jews will blackmail America.” In another post, Jackson showed support for Louis Farrakhan, the Nation of Islam leader who is known for anti-Semitic rhetoric.
“My post was definitely not intended for anybody of any race to feel any type of way, especially the Jewish community,” Jackson said in a video he posted on Instagram on Tuesday. “I post things on my story all the time, and just probably never should have posted anything Hitler did, because Hitler was a bad person, and I know that.”
The team issued the following statement: “We have spoken with DeSean Jackson about his social media posts. Regardless of his intentions, the messages he shared were offensive, harmful, and absolutely appalling. They have no place in our society, and are not condoned or supported in any way by the organization. We are disappointed and we reiterated to DeSean the importance of not only apologizing but also using his platform to take action to promote unity, equality, and respect. We are continuing to evaluate the circumstances and are committed to continuing to have productive and meaningful conversations with DeSean, as well as all of our players and staff, in order to educate, learn, and grow.”
The NFL also issued a statement, saying: “DeSean’s comments were highly inappropriate, offensive and divisive and stand in stark contrast to the NFL’s values of respect, equality and inclusion. We have been in contact with the team which is addressing the matter with DeSean.”
Eagles WR DeSean Jackson has issued an apology after posting images of anti-Semitic messages on social media Monday.<br><br>(via <a href=”https://twitter.com/DeSeanJackson10?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@DeSeanJackson10</a>) <a href=”https://t.co/IODks0ANir”>pic.twitter.com/IODks0ANir</a>
Jackson, a three-time Pro Bowl pick, is in his second stint in Philadelphia, returning last season to the team that drafted him in the second round of the 2008 draft.
Former Eagles president Joe Banner criticized Jackson on Twitter. Banner wrote: “If a white player said anything about [African-Americans] as outrageous as what Desean Jackson said about Jews tonight there would at least be a serious conversation about cutting him and a need for a team meeting to discuss. Which would be totally appropriate. Absolutely indefensible.”
Banner, who also worked for Cleveland and Atlanta, later shared an anti-Palestinian tweet with the hashtag “#Palestinianprivilege getting away with murder.”
Source: – CBC.ca
EU executive expresses concern over Hungary's media freedom – The Telegram
BUDAPEST (Reuters) – A senior European Commission official has expressed concern for the independence of Index.hu, one of Hungary’s last major independent news websites and a leading critic of Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s government.
“What you are doing, the values you are fighting for, media freedom and pluralism, are essential for democracy,” Vera Jourova, the commission’s Vice President for Values and Transparency, said in a message to Index published on its web site. “You can count on my support.”
Editor-in-chief Szabolcs Dull said last month that Index was at risk of losing its independence because of “external influence”.
He said Index wanted to remain free of government influence and undue pressure from businessmen and advisers with government ties.
Orban has extended his influence over many walks of life in Hungary during his decade-long rule.
Pro-government businessman Miklos Vaszily bought a major stake in a company with control of Index’s revenue stream in March, raising fears of interference with the web site to favour Orban.
Vaszily, who has not returned Reuters requests for comment, has denied he wants to muzzle Index, saying economic problems need to be fixed. But staff are on alert as Vaszily had previously turned their competitor, Origo.hu, into a government mouthpiece.
Jourova said Index’s business situation should not be used as a pretext to undermine its freedom.
“While readership and audiences have been record high, revenues have been heavily hit. Economic pressure should not turn into political pressure…I would like to express my solidarity with the staff of Index.”
Media freedom was a key issue when the EU warned Hungary in April to respect the bloc’s values as it fought against the coronavirus pandemic.
(Reporting by Marton Dunai; Editing by Angus MacSwan)
Restaurateur pours her heart out on social media about disrespectful customers – Montreal Gazette
Article content continued
“I know a lot of those people and it was nice to hear,” she said.
One patron wrote: “The food was delicious and the terrace was perfect for social distancing!! Shame on those idiots!”
Another: “Don’t let those idiot customers get you down. It happens. We can’t all be nice. I’m looking forward to coming back and enjoying more amazing food.”
Polansky said she apologized to diners seated closest to the disruptive patrons. Usually, her restaurant is “quiet and nice and relaxing and fun,” she told them.
Even after nearly three decades, Polansky still works the floor and is full of ideas for everything from new cocktails to pink masks for the staff.
“I still have passion after all these years,” she said. “I still have that drive. This is not going to get me down.”
On Tuesday afternoon, as she prepared to open at 4 p.m., Polansky was philosophical.
“Other nights aren’t like Sunday,” she said. “I was discouraged on Sunday. Today is a new day.”
Five Whitecaps to miss MLS tournament – TSN
What To Watch On Amazon Prime Video If You Love Kristen Stewart – CinemaBlend
Airborne coronavirus spread: Five things to know – Al Jazeera English
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019 – report – MINING.com
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Media8 hours ago
Eagles’ DeSean Jackson apologizes after sharing anti-Semitic posts on social media
- Economy24 hours ago
William Watson: My hunch is the economy will bounce back quickly when this ‘Great Compression’ ends – Financial Post
- Tech15 hours ago
OnePlus Nord will come with 48MP primary camera with OIS – GSMArena.com news – GSMArena.com
- Health7 hours ago
What you need to know about COVID-19 in Alberta on Tuesday, July 7
- Science8 hours ago
Grizzly bears in the dark as they try to share living space with humans
- Media17 hours ago
MacGregor Critical of Canadian Media for Coverage of 'Act of Terror' at Rideau Hall – My Cowichan Valley Now
- Media21 hours ago
New Spark Media Launches 5th Generation UI, which Elegantly Helps Brands Solve for Media Cluster-Flux – Yahoo Finance
- Science22 hours ago
COVID-19: Vancouver bar patrons may have been exposed to virus – Cape Breton Post