The Oklahoma City Thunder begin training camp on Tuesday with just over three weeks until the start of the 2021-22 season. Prior to the season kicking off, they’ll carry 20 players through training camp and four preseason games.
At some point, the Thunder will have to make roster cuts, finalizing their 15-man roster heading into the season. They’ll also have the ability to carry both of their two-way players into the season as well.
With media day taking place on Monday, several key themes stuck out as players gave updates on their summer activities and what to expect in the upcoming season. Additionally, the training camp roster itself gave insight into what type of team Oklahoma City wants to be moving forward.
In the 24 hours leading up to media day, the Thunder made several moves to finalize their 20-man training camp roster.
They started by waiving Charlie Brown Jr. before signing Mamadi Diakite, Rob Edwards and DJ Wilson.
These were the final three additions to the team to round out the roster. They’ll each have opportunity to earn a roster spot over the next few weeks as they showcase their skills in practice and in preseason matchups.
It becomes more clear as the season approaches that the Thunder are committed to playing a positionless style of basketball. Over the past few drafts, Oklahoma City has used their first-round draft capital on players that are versatile enough to play multiple positions.
Most recently, this has included a 7-foot wing in Aleksej Pokusevski and a 6-foot-9 point guard in Josh Giddey.
Even Thunder Head Coach Mark Daigneault alluded to playing this way last season when talking about the positionless players on the OKC roster.
“Traditional positions don’t apply to a lot of the players on our team,” said Daigneault in January.
Just a month later, Daigneault reflected on the success of the Golden State Warriors with the amount of versatility they had on their roster.
On Monday at media day, Daigneault doubled down on the positionless style of play when talking about the benefits of having a roster full of players who are able to handle the ball.
“One of the things that is evident is the teams that are the most formidable in the NBA are the teams with multiple ball handlers,” said Daigneault.
As Oklahoma City continues to build their roster over the next few seasons around Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, it’s fair to assume they’ll be targeting players who have a high basketball IQ and can play multiple positions. This will result in them being able to throw a variety of different lineups on the floor depending on who they’re matched up against.
When it comes to rebuilds, the Thunder are going to do it the right way. If there’s one thing the front office has emphasized over the past year, it’s that they’re going to be patient and take no shortcuts.
“We aren’t looking to short-term solutions to a long-term project,” Thunder GM Sam Presti said last week in a press conference.
Daigneault echoed this just a few days later at media day, saying the rebuild won’t be easy, but shortcuts will not be taken.
“There is no shortcut, it’s nothing going to be easy and we don’t want it to be easy,” said Daigneault at media day.
At the end of the day, Oklahoma City is looking for long-term, sustained success rather than just a short stint of being a playoff team. Especially in a small market, they’ve got to build through the draft, trades and player development.
“There’s only one thing to win in the NBA and it’s a championship,” said Presti during the offseason. “The longer you want to be good, the more patience it sometimes requires.”
The Thunder will be a championship contender again at some point in the near future, but they’re going to do it the right way.
Social media giants YouTube, TikTok, Snap questioned at Senate hearing over kids’ safety – Global News
Bearing down on hugely popular social media platforms and their impact on children, the leaders of a Senate panel have called executives from YouTube, TikTok and Snapchat to face questions on what their companies are doing to ensure young users’ safety.
The Senate Commerce subcommittee on consumer protection is fresh off a highly charged hearing with a former Facebook data scientist, who laid out internal company research showing that the company’s Instagram photo-sharing service appears to seriously harm some teens.
The panel is widening its focus to examine other tech platforms, with millions or billions of users, that also compete for young people’s attention and loyalty.
The three executives — Michael Beckerman, a TikTok vice president and head of public policy for the Americas; Leslie Miller, vice president for government affairs and public policy of YouTube’s owner Google; and Jennifer Stout, vice president for global public policy of Snapchat parent Snap Inc. — are due to appear at a subcommittee hearing Tuesday.
The three platforms are woven into the fabric of young people’s lives, often influencing their dress, dance moves and diet, potentially to the point of obsession. Peer pressure to get on the apps is strong. Social media can offer entertainment and education, but platforms have been misused to harm children and promote bullying, vandalism in schools, eating disorders and manipulative marketing, lawmakers say.
“We need to understand the impact of popular platforms like Snapchat, TikTok and YouTube on children and what companies can do better to keep them safe,” Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., the subcommittee’s chairman, said in a statement.
The panel wants to learn how algorithms and product designs can magnify harm to children, foster addiction and intrusions of privacy, Blumenthal says. The aim is to develop legislation to protect young people and give parents tools to protect their children.
The video platform TikTok, wildly popular with teens and younger children, is owned by the Chinese company ByteDance. In only five years since launching, it has gained an estimated 1 billion monthly users.
Mental Health Matters: Dealing with ‘doomscrolling’ on social media
TikTok denies allegations, most notably from conservative Republican lawmakers, that it operates at the behest of the Chinese government and provides it with users’ personal data. The company says it stores all TikTok U.S. data in the United States. The company also rejects criticisms of promoting harmful content to children.
TikTok says it has tools in place, such as screen time management, to help young people and parents moderate how long children spend on the app and what they see. The company says it focuses on age-appropriate experiences, noting that some features, such as direct messaging, are not available to younger users.
Early this year after federal regulators ordered TikTok to disclose how its practices affect children and teenagers, the platform tightened its privacy practices for the under-18 crowd.
A separate House committee has investigated video service YouTube Kids this year. Lawmakers said the YouTube offshoot feeds children inappropriate material in “a wasteland of vapid, consumerist content” so it can serve ads to them. The app, with both video hosting and original shows, is available in about 70 countries.
A panel of the House Oversight and Reform Committee told YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki that the service doesn’t do enough to protect children from potentially harmful material. Instead it relies on artificial intelligence and self-policing by content creators to decide which videos make it onto the platform, the panel’s chairman said in a letter to Wojcicki.
Parent company Google agreed to pay $170 million in 2019 settlements with the Federal Trade Commission and New York state of allegations that YouTube collected personal data on children without their parents’ consent.
Instagram for kids idea questioned
Despite changes made after the settlements, the lawmaker’s letter said, YouTube Kids still shows ads to children.
YouTube says it has worked to provide children and families with protections and parental controls like time limits, to limit viewing to age-appropriate content. It emphasizes that the 2019 settlements involved the primary YouTube platform, not the kids’ version.
“We took action on more than 7 million accounts in the first three quarters of 2021 when we learned they may belong to a user under the age of 13 — 3 million of those in the third quarter alone — as we have ramped up our automated removal efforts,” Miller, the Google vice president, says in written testimony prepared for the hearing.
Snap Inc.’s Snapchat service allows people to send photos, videos and messages that are meant to quickly disappear, an enticement to its young users seeking to avoid snooping parents and teachers. Hence its “Ghostface Chillah” faceless (and word-less) white logo.
Only 10 years old, Snapchat says an eye-popping 90% of 13- to 24-year-olds in the U.S. use the service. It reported 306 million daily users in the July-September quarter.
The company agreed in 2014 to settle the FTC’s allegations that it deceived users about how effectively the shared material vanished and that it collected users’ contacts without telling them or asking permission. The messages, known as “snaps,” could be saved by using third-party apps or other ways, the regulators said.
Snapchat wasn’t fined but agreed to establish a privacy program to be monitored by an outside expert for the next 20 years — similar to oversight imposed on Facebook, Google and Myspace in privacy settlements in recent years.
© 2021 The Canadian Press
Trudeau’s heritage minister has a chance to reset social media regulations. Will he take it? – Global News
Justin Trudeau’s new heritage minister has a chance to reset the Liberal government’s controversial plans to regulate social media and internet giants. The question is whether he will take it.
Trudeau tapped veteran MP and cabinet minister Pablo Rodriguez to lead the heritage portfolio Tuesday, part of a wider reset of his cabinet after September’s general election.
The heritage file has presented surprising political risks for Trudeau’s ministers. Melanie Joly ran into trouble over a deal with Netflix that saw the streaming giant promise a $500-million investment in Canadian content, but did not subject the company to Canadian sale taxes.
More recently, rookie minister Steven Guilbeault introduced Bill C-10, a poorly received attempt to modernize broadcasting rules to reflect the new internet-driven landscape.
Canadian heritage minister won’t say whether Bill C-10 could regulate users’ social media algorithms
The legislation was meant to bring internet content under broadcasting rules, in recognition that Canadians consume media differently in the internet age than when the Broadcasting Act was last reformed in 1991.
But it became a political lightning rod after the Liberals removed protections for user-generated content, which critics argued would subject Canadians’ social media accounts to CRTC regulations. And it wasn’t just opposition parties that were critical of the bill; it was widely panned by civil society organizations and academics.
Rodriguez, who served as Trudeau’s House leader in the last Parliament, is a longtime Quebec MP and seen as a steady hand in the Liberals’ front bench. He also remains Trudeau’s Quebec lieutenant in cabinet.
That responsibility could play a role in C-10’s fate. While the legislation was widely criticized, it was politically popular in Quebec – where C-10’s stated purpose of making Canadian content more “discoverable” on streaming platforms was well received.
© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Facebook, YouTube take down Bolsonaro video over false vaccine claim
Facebook and YouTube have removed from their platforms a video by Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro in which the far-right leader made a false claim that COVID-19 vaccines were linked with developing AIDS.
Both Facebook and Alphabet Inc’s YouTube said the video, which was recorded on Thursday, violated their policies.
“Our policies don’t allow claims that COVID-19 vaccines kill or seriously harm people,” a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement on Monday.
YouTube confirmed that it had taken the same step later in the day.
“We removed a video from Jair Bolsonaro’s channel for violating our medical disinformation policy regarding COVID-19 for alleging that vaccines don’t reduce the risk of contracting the disease and that they cause other infectious diseases,” YouTube said in a statement.
According to the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV and AIDS (UNAIDS), COVID-19 vaccines approved by health regulators are safe for most people, including those living with HIV, the virus that causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, known as AIDS.
Bolsonaro’s office did not respond immediately to a request for comment outside normal hours.
In July, YouTube removed videos from Bolsonaro’s official channel in which he recommended using hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin against COVID-19, despite scientific proof that these drugs are not effective in treating the disease.
Since then, Bolsonaro has avoided naming both drugs on his live broadcasts, saying the videos could be removed and advocating “early treatment” in general for COVID-19.
Bolsonaro, who tested positive for the coronavirus in July last year, had credited his taking hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial drug, for his mild symptoms. While Bolsonaro himself last January said that he wouldn’t take any COVID-19 vaccine, he did vow to quickly inoculate all Brazilians.
In addition to removing the video, YouTube has suspended Bolsonaro for seven days, national newspapers O Estado de S. Paulo and O Globo reported, citing a source familiar with the matter.
YouTube did not respond to a separate Reuters request for comment regarding the suspension on Monday night.
(Reporting by Pedro Fonseca in Rio de Janeiro; Additional reporting by Gram Slattery in Rio de Janeiro and Anthony Boadle in Brasilia; Writing by Gabriel Araujo; Editing by Leslie Adler)
COVID-19 Update: Four Alberta doctors launch lawsuit over vaccine policy | 1,592 cases, 25 deaths reported over three days | Sask. won't impose more restrictions – Calgary Herald
Social media giants YouTube, TikTok, Snap questioned at Senate hearing over kids’ safety – Global News
Aberdeen Asia-Pacific Income Investment Company Limited Announces Timing of Re-Domiciliation, Return of Par Value and Change in Investment Policies – Yahoo Finance
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Europe kicks off vaccination programs | All media content | DW | 27.12.2020 – Deutsche Welle
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Investment13 hours ago
Is PayPal (PYPL) Still a Great Investment Choice? – Yahoo Finance
Art21 hours ago
Knitting for Guelph's Art Not Shame: 3 things to know about the organization and fundraiser – GuelphMercury.com
Business14 hours ago
Analysis: Capitol Hill drug pricing reform opponents among the biggest beneficiaries of pharma funds
Sports11 hours ago
What 2022 Holds for the Canadian Sports Betting Sector
Health14 hours ago
Exclusive: African Union to buy up to 110 million Moderna COVID-19 vaccines – officials
News15 hours ago
Air Canada introduces COVID self-testing option for customers – Global News
Investment12 hours ago
Saudi Arabia to set up investment fund for carbon capture – Aljazeera.com
Health19 hours ago
Manitobans can now get federal proof of COVID-19 vaccination for travel – Winnipeg Free Press