Ladislav Miko, who represents the European Commission, says discussions need to move “dramatically forward” to have a hope of reaching a deal by the time the conference ends.
He said he is encouraged by the progress made in recent days but warns many more issues need to be sorted before ministers and other high-level delegates arrive later this week.
A spokesperson for the World Wildlife Fund says there are positive conversations happening around some goals, including a proposal to conserve 30 per cent of the globe’s land and water by 2030.
But Lucia Ruiz Bustos, the biodiversity and finance coordinator for WWF Mexico, says negotiations appear to be stalling over how the world will finance its goals and targets.
More than 190 countries are at the conference, which runs until Dec. 19.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 12, 2022.
WHO decision on COVID-19 emergency won't effect Canada's response: Tam – CP24
OTTAWA – On Monday, exactly three years from the day he declared COVID-19 to be a global public health emergency, World Health Organization director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus will decide whether to call it off.
But declaring an end to the “public health emergency of international concern” would not mean COVID-19 is no longer a threat. It will also not do much to change Canada’s approach.
“In Canada, we’re already doing what we need to do,” chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam said in her most recent COVID-19 update.
She said the WHO discussion is important but COVID-19 monitoring and public health responses are not going to end. That includes continued surveillance of cases, particularly severe illness and death, and vaccination campaigns.
The WHO’s emergency committee, which was struck in 2020 when COVID-19 first emerged as a global health threat, voted Friday on whether to maintain the formal designation of a public health emergency.
Tedros will make the final call Monday based on the advice the committee gives him.
He warned earlier this week that he remains concerned about the impact of the virus, noting there were 170,000 deaths from COVID-19 reported around the world in the last two months.
“While I will not pre-empt the advice of the emergency committee, I remain very concerned by the situation in many countries and the rising number of deaths,” he said Jan. 24.
“While we are clearly in better shape than three years ago when this pandemic first hit, the global collective response is once again under strain.”
He is worried not enough health-care workers or seniors are up to date on vaccinations, that access to antivirals is limited and that health systems around the world remain fragile following three years of pandemic strain.
In Canada, there was a noticeable rise in cases, hospitalizations and deaths over Christmas and early in January but all are trending down again. Tam said there were no surges of the virus anywhere in Canada, though the latest variant of Omicron was being watched closely.
Federal surveillance data shows more than 30 people are still dying of COVID-19 every day, and hundreds of people are still hospitalized.
The formal designation of the global public health emergency was made on Jan. 30, 2020, when 99 per cent of confirmed COVID-19 cases were still restricted to China.
The decision was made to declare an emergency because human-to-human transmission was starting to occur outside China, and the hope was that by designating an emergency it could prompt a public health response that could still limit the impact of COVID-19.
That did not happen. On March 11, 2020, Tedros declared a global pandemic, practically begging countries to do more to slow it down.
The declaration of a pandemic meant that there was exponential growth in the spread of the virus.
By WHO terminology, a “public health emergency of international concern” is the highest formal declaration and the one which triggers a legally binding response among WHO member countries, including Canada.
It is what is done when a health threat is “serious, sudden, unusual or unexpected,” when it carries global public health implications and may require “immediately international action.”
A designation prompts the WHO director-general to issue recommendations for member countries including increased surveillance to identify new cases, isolating or quarantining infected people and their close contacts, travel measures such as border testing or closures, public health communications, investments in research and collaboration on treatments and vaccinations.
Dr. Sameer Elsayed, an infectious diseases physician and the director adult infectious diseases residency training at Western University in London, Ont., said to his mind the WHO should end the global emergency designation even though the pandemic itself is not over.
“I don’t know that we should continue to call it an emergency,” he said. “I hope they say that we’re going to bring it down a notch.”
Elsayed said for vulnerable populations, including the elderly and those with compromised immune systems, COVID-19 continues to pose a serious threat, but for most people there are far bigger threats, including suicide. He said with limited health resources, COVID-19 needs to be put in its proper place alongside other health issues.
Children, in particular, said Elsayed, are much more at risk from influenza and RSV than COVID-19 in wealthy countries, and from food insecurity and the lack of access to clean water in many developing nations.
Tam said regardless of what WHO decides, Canada won’t stop monitoring the evolution of the virus that causes COVID-19, including for new variants that may require adjustments to vaccines or other treatments.
She also said we must continue to monitor the ongoing developments in long COVID.
“We mustn’t, I think, let go of the gains that we’ve had in the last several years,” she said.
“I think whatever the decision is made by the director-general of WHO, I think we just need to keep going with what we’re doing now.”
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 27, 2023.
COVID still a concern despite drop in flu, RSV cases: expert – CTV News
As RSV and flu cases steadily decline in Canada, the World Health Organization (WHO) is set to announce on Monday whether it still considers COVID-19 a global health emergency.
Ahead of that announcement, one of Canada’s top infectious disease specialists warns that the WHO’s consensus won’t necessarily mean the virus is behind us.
“I think it’s important to point out that this is not about … whether COVID is gone or not,” said Dr. Lisa Barrett, an assistant professor in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology as well as the Department of Medicine in the Faculty of Medicine at Dalhousie University.
“This is a real committee-based decision at the WHO level to decide in whether this is still a public health emergency of international concern,” she told CTV News Channel Sunday.
Barrett explained that this a matter of prioritizing access to resources and research, and not to determine an end point for COVID-19.
“So what this all means is that COVID is not done,” she said. “And the way it looks in different countries is different in many situations. That’s what they’re trying to decide at this point, not whether a pandemic is done or whether COVID is going away.”
WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus will make the official call on the status of COVID-19, based on the advice of his committee. Earlier this week, he warned that he remains concerned about the impact of the virus and mentioned that there were 170,000 COVID-related deaths reported around the world in the last two months.
“We’re starting to see influenza, perhaps RSV, starting to come down somewhat,” Barrett said.
“There’s still a lot of debate about whether we’re catching many cases that are not important. But really, I think the big [question] from the last year as we start to see influenza and RSV maybe go down is, what’s the best way forward?”
Barrett noted that the FDA recommended a change to booster shot roll outs.
“They’re suggesting a once-a-year, similar to a flu shot. I think that’s the right approach at this point,” she said.
“I think the first thing we should remind Canadians is that if they are due for an additional dose in the vulnerable populations — older folks, people who have bad immune systems — please don’t think it’s too early to go out and get that last dose from the fall if you haven’t.”
Where did B.C.’s beloved Nanaimo Bar come from?
The Nanaimo bar. It’s a sweet treat made from chocolate, custard, coconut and walnuts. Love it or hate it, it’s uniquely British Columbian.
But where did this chocolatey delicacy come from?
To celebrate the launch of CBC’s new permanent Nanaimo bureau, North by Northwest host Margaret Gallagher spoke to food historian Lenore Newman about the origins of the treat that shares the city’s name.
Newman says it can be traced back to three women in Nanaimo after the Second World War.
Originally — and uncreatively — called chocolate slices, Newman says the “dainties” popped up around 1952, in, no surprise here, Nanaimo. The base layer, made of graham wafer crumbs, shows up earlier, but the square as we know it with the thick custard middle and chocolate on top appeared in a local hospital auxiliary cookbook in the early ’50s, Newman said.
It was first deemed the Nanaimo bar by Vancouver Sun columnist Edith Adams in 1953 when she wrote that the dessert came from Nanaimo.
This is important to note, Newman says, because other places such as Mississauga and England have tried to claim it as their own.
The bar was later featured in the Expo ’86 cookbook, giving it a little more notoriety.
“I think if it had been called the chocolate slice, it would have faded into the past, but the fact that it was called the Nanaimo bar kept it rolling forward,” Newman said.
The Nanaimo bar’s fame has been far-reaching; when Harry and Megan visited B.C. in 2020, their interest in the treats caused a media frenzy in the U.K. and the U.S., prompting questions of what the square was and where it came from.
The Daily Mail even printed a headline titled: Were Harry and Meghan Markle lured to Canada by chocolate treats?
And in 2021, British Columbians were nonplussed when the New York Times published a recipe and photo of a Nanaimo bar that was, quite frankly, all wrong.
That wasn’t the first time people were offended over Nanaimo bars. In 2019, a Canada Post stamp featuring the dessert showed far too much of the middle layer, prompting outrage from Nanaimo bar enthusiasts.
“I like to say it’s like the Kardashian of Canadian desserts in that it’s famous for being famous and sometimes infamous, and it’s amazing how much play it gets,” Newman said.
So, how do you make the perfect Nanaimo bar? Here’s a recipe from The Great Canadian Baking Show.
For the crust:
- 1 cup graham wafer crumbs.
- 3/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts.
- 1/3 cup cocoa.
- 1/4 cup sugar.
- 1/4 tsp salt.
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted.
- 1 egg, beaten.
- 1/2 tsp vanilla.
For the middle layer:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened.
- 2 tbsp custard powder.
- 2 tbsp milk.
- 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- 1/8 tsp salt.
- 2 cups icing sugar.
For the glaze:
- 110 g semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped (about 3/4 cup).
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter.
Heat oven to 350°F. Line an eight-inch pan with parchment paper, with ends extending over the sides of the pan. Set aside.
Stir together graham crumbs, coconut, walnuts, cocoa, sugar and salt. Add butter, egg and vanilla, stirring to combine. Press firmly into the prepared pan.
Bake until firm, about 10-12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, prepare the middle layer. Mix butter and custard powder in a large bowl with a hand mixer. Add milk, vanilla and salt and mix to incorporate. Add icing sugar in two additions. Mix until light and fluffy. Spread over the bottom layer. Refrigerate for one hour.
While the crust and middle layer are in the refrigerator, stir chocolate and butter together in a medium heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water until melted.
Spread chocolate glaze over the middle layer. Chill for 30 minutes. Remove from the pan with parchment edges and cut into 25 squares.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Maple Leafs’ Morgan Rielly calls his shot on John Tavares’ big night – Sportsnet.ca
Great news: The future of Catholic art is alive and well – Aleteia
France buys new masterpiece for Orsay museum with LVMH gift – CP24
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Search for life on Mars accelerates as new bodies of water found below planet’s surface
Economy23 hours ago
Amid economic turmoil, Pakistan hikes up fuel prices
Business21 hours ago
Move over, BCE and Rogers. Investors have a new telecom favourite
News20 hours ago
Where did B.C.’s beloved Nanaimo Bar come from?
Business20 hours ago
Bed Bath & Beyond falters in effort to find buyer in bankruptcy
Investment22 hours ago
3 reasons dividend stocks can lead the next bull market
Tech21 hours ago
Kenji Studio Cancels Kickstarter for English Release of Santa Company Anime Film
News21 hours ago
Canada in ‘better shape’ than predicted in face of XBB.1.5, expert suggests
Art22 hours ago
Inuvialuk sculptor David Ruben Piqtoukun’s work shaped by cultural stories