Connect with us

Health

19-year-old in Quebec dies from complications linked to COVID-19 – CityNews Vancouver

Published

on


MONTREAL — Quebec’s health department says a 19-year-old has died from complications linked to COVID-19.

The case marks the first time someone under the age of 20 has died from COVID-19 in Quebec since the pandemic began.

Spokeswoman Marie-Claude Lacasse says the health department cannot release any information about the identity of the person who died, or details about the death.

The province says 3,279 people between the ages of 10 and 19 have tested positive for the novel coronavirus to date.

Among those cases, 31 people had to be hospitalized, including six who were in intensive care.

Quebec has reported 61,402 COVID-19 cases and 5,730 deaths since the start of the pandemic.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 21, 2020.

The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Ontario to review COVID-19 symptoms list for schools, minister says – Sudbury.com

Published

on


TORONTO — Ontario’s education minister says he is considering shortening the list of COVID-19 symptoms that require kids to stay home from school.

Stephen Lecce says he is working with the province’s medical officials to consider possible changes to the list.

British Columbia shortened its list earlier this week by removing 10 symptoms, prompting Ontario to review the data behind that decision.

Officials in B.C. removed symptoms such as a sore throat, runny nose, and headaches from their list.

Ontario’s school reopening plan requires parents to screen their children for COVID-19 symptoms and keep them home if they display signs of the virus.

Students are permitted to return to class when they no longer display symptoms.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 23, 2020.

The Canadian Press

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

Third death reported in Foothills outbreak; provincial nurses union says morale low – Calgary Herald

Published

on


Article content continued

With so many staff members isolating, the hospital is using overtime and reassignment to cover shifts. AHS has multiple staff swabbing sites at the hospital to increase testing capacity for staff on outbreak units. They are screened twice a day.

Staff are also encouraged to take their breaks outside and adhere to physical distancing.

Harrigan said morale continues to drop and, he feels, AHS has made the situation worse.

“People have to work additional overtime and people are being asked to pick up additional shifts. We’ve heard from a number of our members that are phoning to say look, I’ve worked eight to nine consecutive days, this is starting to become too much,” he said.

He doesn’t know if anything will change if the outbreak at Foothills continues to get worse.

AHS said Wednesday the origin of the outbreaks remains unknown.

“Multiple teams are working daily to determine where the infection may have started, how it was transmitted and who needs to be contacted and tested to limit exposure,” AHS said. “This is standard procedure in our contact tracing that we implement with any outbreak.”

Hospitalizations surge in Alberta; 143 new cases

The number of Albertans hospitalized with COVID-19 increased to 59 on Wednesday, up from 51 Tuesday. Included in those hospitalizations are 13 patients in intensive-care units, up from nine.

Alberta reported 143 new cases in Wednesday’s update, bringing the total number of active cases to 1,520. The newly detected cases are from 12,317 tests completed on Tuesday, about a 1.2 per cent positive rate.

The Edmonton zone still has the highest number of active cases with 821, followed by the Calgary zone with 481.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Health

42 new coronavirus cases in Manitoba Wednesday, mostly in Winnipeg – Global News

Published

on


A total of 42 new coronavirus cases have been identified in Manitoba as of Wednesday morning, bringing the province’s total to 1,674.

Public health officials said 30 of the new cases are in the Winnipeg area, with six more in the Southern Health region, three in Prairie Mountain, two in Interlake-Eastern, and one case in the Northern Health region.

Read more:
COVID-19 cases reported at four more Manitoba schools, 24 new cases identified in province

There are currently 418 active COVID-19 cases in Manitoba, with 11 people hospitalized and five in intensive care.

There is confusion over the number of COVID-19-related deaths in Manitoba thus far. A news release from the province said there have been 18, but according to the provincial data site, there have been 19.

Story continues below advertisement

After Global News inquired about the discrepancy, the site was updated to say there have been 18 deaths.

Global News reported a 19th death Tuesday at Parkview Place Long Term Care Home in Winnipeg.

Read more:
Winnipeg long-term care home reports Manitoba’s 19th coronavirus death

However, the death has yet to be officially confirmed by provincial health officials, resulting in the discrepancy.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“There was a data error on the dashboard and it will be updated to reflect the bulletin,” said a spokesperson for Shared Health.

“Public Health announces COVID-19 related deaths when investigations are complete. We would not comment until that time and an official announcement is made.”

Revera, the company that runs the home, announced the death in a media statement Tuesday afternoon.

“We regret to confirm that a resident previously tested and confirmed as COVID-19 positive at Parkview Place Long Term Care Home has passed away,” Revera’s chief medical officer, Dr. Rhonda Collins, Chief Medical Officer, said in the statement.

Health officials are strongly encouraging Manitobans — especially Winnipeggers — to stay home if sick and follow precautions like hand-washing and wearing a mask to prevent any further spread of the virus.

Story continues below advertisement






1:43
COVID-19: North Dakota vs. Manitoba


COVID-19: North Dakota vs. Manitoba

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending