Connect with us

Media

Australian media say 'sorry' for breaching gag order in Cardinal Pell child sex assault case – TheChronicleHerald.ca

Published

 on


MELBOURNE (Reuters) – Australian media companies apologised in court on Wednesday for breaching a suppression order on reporting a child sex assault conviction, since overturned, of former Vatican treasurer George Pell in 2018.

A dozen Australian media outlets pled guilty for breaching the gag order in a deal with the state, which has dropped all other charges against the companies and their reporters, editors and presenters, sparing them potential jail sentences.

Lawyers for News Corp, Nine Entertainment Corp and its subsidiaries and online service mamamia gave an “unqualified and sincere apology” to the Supreme Court of Victoria, the County Court of Victoria and its Chief Judge Peter Kidd, who issued the suppression order in 2018.

Pell was found guilty in December 2018 on five charges of sexually assaulting two choirboys. Reporting on the case was gagged as he was due to face another trial the following year, but that second case was eventually dropped.

Foreign media reported on his conviction, naming him and the charges, and only after that did Australian media publish stories saying a prominent unnamed person had been convicted of a major crime which they were unable to report on. Some referred to foreign reporting of the case.

Pell was acquitted in April 2020, after serving more than a year in jail.

Lawyer Will Houghton, representing News Corp’s Courier Mail, Daily Telegraph and news.com.au told the Supreme Court that the breach of the media gag order came about “because of an error of judgment”.

“This case involved a decision to publish that was made after a lot of deliberation, a lot of consideration, and having had the benefit of legal advice in all three cases,” said Houghton.

“Why, therefore, do we have a plea of guilty? Because those publications acknowledge and admit that there was a breach of the proceeding suppression order,” he said.

With Supreme Court Judge John Dixon set to decide penalties in the case, the media firms’ affidavits discussed at the hearing expressed remorse, spelled out measures they have taken to improve staff training on legal issues, listed awards they had won and their philanthropic efforts.

Each breach of a suppression order can be punished with nearly A$500,000 for companies.

The penalty hearing continues on Thursday and is due to finish on Feb. 17.

(Reporting by Sonali Paul; Editing by Michael Perry)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Pouce Coupe mayor in hot water regarding posts on her social media page – CKPGToday.ca

Published

 on


“Don’t want Pipelines? [sic] They want to protect our land. Yeah ok” on her Facebook page, along with photos of homes with garbage on the front lawns. Which has since gone viral, Mayor Michetti

” I never intended it to be racist, I intended it as a pro-pipeline.” “That was shared to me, and I just turned around and shared it”

The Mayor, since apologizing on social media, and other platforms and says:

” I never made an excuse, I am taking it, I did it, what else am I to do? I am reaching out to the bands I am reaching out to everyone to try and help me learn the culture. I will take any culture courses that there is out there.”

Since that post, several leaders from surrounding communities issued statements, condemning Michetti’s comment.

Richard Mineault, who is a Peace Region local and advocate of the persons of the Cree nation says:

” This is an outright expression of cultural indifference, that’s the way I am putting it. Is it a racial attack? I think so ”

Mineault was hired by Michetti for cultural sensitivity training, but according to him, as more information came to light, regarding her social media posts, he is now advocating for her removal and resignation as Mayor.

” The path forward to resolving this issue begins with her resignation.” The Mayor responding with ” I am not resigning”

The Pouce Coupe village council held an emergency special meeting Saturday and voted unanimously to censure Michetti and limit her powers. However, according to Mineault her refusal to resign won’t fly.

“I am an advocate now for education and awareness and bring to light the responsibility of those in authority. To accept that this cannot be, this can not be allowed in the public.”

As of today, Michetti is still sitting as Mayor with no plan to resign, she tells CKPG she is now receiving threats with one reading in

” You are clearly a piece of *of expletive* [sic] How DARE you try to justify the things you have posted”. and ends with “Congratulations, you are my new pet project.”

” Why resign, take what I did wrong and try and change things, change it, change and show people that I am not racist.” `Mayor Michetti

” those in political offices should be held to the highest standard” –

Michetti’s term isn’t up until 2022, she intends to stay in office and continue the work she has been doing. As of February 25th, Pouce Coupe Councilor Ken Drover has since resigned.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Prince Harry says 'toxic' British media drove him and Meghan to exit royal family – NBC News

Published

 on


LONDON — Britain’s “toxic” media drove Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, to leave the royal family for the United States, Harry said in a wide-ranging interview with fellow Brit and TV host James Corden that aired Thursday night.

Sitting on an open-top bus and sipping tea as it drove around Los Angeles, the compatriots talked everything from media intrusion to the popular Netflix series “The Crown.”

Harry also discussed what the future holds for his family after the couple finalized their royal exit last week.

Feb. 22, 202103:36

“We all know what the British press can be like and it was destroying my mental health,” Harry said in the interview for “The Late Late Show With James Corden.”

“This is toxic,” he added, saying the media had created a “really difficult” environment for the couple.

“So I did what any husband and what any father would do — I need to get my family out of here,” he said.

Just over a year after the couple first announced they would “step back” from their royal duties, Buckingham Palace said last Friday that they had finalized the split.

“While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family,” it said in a statement.

But while the pair will not be returning as working members of the royal family, Harry maintained that they “never walked away.”

“As far as I’m concerned, whatever decisions are made on that side, I will never walk away. I will always be contributing but my life is public service, so wherever I am in the world it is going to be the same thing,” he said.

Download the NBC News app for full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak

The final break completes a dramatic journey for the couple, whose fairytale wedding quickly went off script amid rumors of a brotherly rift and a tabloid onslaught, which Meghan’s supporters say often veered into racist harassment and bullying.

The couple moved with their son, Archie, to California last year to live a more independent life and announced on Valentine’s Day they were expecting their second child.

They signed multimillion-dollar deals with media companies Spotify and Netflix, and in March will give a “wide-ranging” interview to media mogul Oprah Winfrey.

Earlier this month, Meghan won a privacy lawsuit against a British media company, which published parts of a letter she wrote to her estranged father, Thomas Markle. In court documents, she said the intrusion had caused her “very real sadness” and damaged relationships.

In the Corden interview, Harry said he took issue with false news stories reported as fact, compared to the TV show “The Crown,” which was “obviously fiction.”

“I’m way more comfortable with “The Crown” than I am seeing the stories written about my family, or my wife or myself,” he said.

“They don’t pretend to be news — it’s fictional but it’s loosely based on the truth,” he added, noting the show gave a “rough idea” of the pressures of royal life.

That puts him at odds with some British historians and lawmakers who have pushed to make clear the series, with its embellishments and exaggerations of Windsor family sagas, is fiction — amid fears it could damage the reputation of the royal family.

The light-hearted late-night interview also saw host Corden take Harry to visit the home where “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” TV show was shot. Corden, video-calling the Duchess of Sussex, implored the couple to buy the property.

“I think we’ve done enough moving,” Meghan replied.

Harry also revealed that his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, had bought his son, Archie, a waffle-maker for Christmas and that both she and her husband, Prince Philip, knew how to make Zoom calls.

On Thursday, the Queen, 94, encouraged the British public to follow her lead and get vaccinated against Covid-19, saying the jab was “very quick” and “quite harmless” and would benefit society.

Both the queen and Philip, 99, — who is currently in a London hospital being treated for an unspecified infection — received Covid-19 vaccinations in January.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Media

Cision Brings PR, Social Media Management and Digital Consumer Intelligence Together with Category-Defining Acquisition of Brandwatch – Canada NewsWire

Published

 on


CHICAGO and BRIGHTON, England, Feb. 26, 2021 /CNW/ — Cision announced today that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Brandwatch, a global leader in digital consumer intelligence and social media listening, for $450 million. This strategic move will combine two leaders in their respective industries and will bring to customers the substantial benefits of their complementary capabilities to deliver the future of PR, marketing and digital customer engagement.

The forces of digital transformation reward those organizations and boardrooms that listen to and quickly capitalize on digital insights from their consumers. Leading companies are quickly adapting and using these insights to create tailored, authentic communications and direct connections with customers at scale. This paradigm shift to real-time, customer-centric PR, marketing and customer care strategies will continue to accelerate and differentiate those companies that take action.

Cision is a leader in news distribution and media monitoring and analysis with a media contact database of approximately 1 million journalists and media outlets and over 75,000 customers. Brandwatch works with thousands of the world’s most admired brands, using the latest in artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning to bring structure to and derive meaning from the voices of the billions of people using social media.

Cision and Brandwatch are a compelling combination. Together, they will provide brands and organizations with consumer and media intelligence to devise more effective customer engagement strategies from PR and marketing to research and product development. Whether teams are connecting with journalists and influencers, launching social campaigns, developing brand messaging or conducting deep research into consumer behavior, they will have real-time insights and long-term trend analysis to guide them.

“The continued digital shift and widespread adoption of social media is rapidly and fundamentally changing how brands and organizations engage with their customers,” said Abel Clark, CEO of Cision. “This is driving the imperative that PR, marketing, social and customer care teams fully incorporate the unique insights now available into consumer-led strategies. Together, Cision and Brandwatch will help our clients to more deeply understand, connect and engage with their customers at scale across every channel.”

“We have always built Brandwatch with ambition. That was recognized by Forrester, who recently named us as a leader in our space,” said Giles Palmer, founder and CEO of Brandwatch. “Now is the time to take the next step – joining a company of significant scale to create a business and a suite of products that can have an important global impact. We are excited to join Abel and the Cision team to supercharge our work and bring even more value to our customers.”

Brandwatch was named a Leader in The Forrester Wave™: Social Listening Platforms, Q4 2020.

The deal is expected to close in the second quarter of 2021.

Macquarie Capital acted as an exclusive financial adviser to Brandwatch on this transaction. Cooley LLP acted as legal counsel to Brandwatch.

Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP acted as M&A legal counsel, Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP acted as financing legal counsel and Latham & Watkins LLP acted as regulatory counsel to Cision.

About Brandwatch
Brandwatch is the world’s pioneering digital consumer intelligence suite. The company’s AI-powered deep social listening and content marketing analytics products help over 2,000 of the world’s most admired brands and agencies make insightful, data-driven decisions. Brandwatch includes leading content marketing platform BuzzSumo in its portfolio. Brandwatch has 10 offices around the world and is headquartered in Brighton, UK.

About Cision
As a global leader in PR, marketing and social media management technology and intelligence, Cision helps brands and organizations to identify, connect and engage with customers and stakeholders to drive business results. PR Newswire, a network of over 1.1 billion influencers, in-depth monitoring, analytics and its Falcon.io social media platform headline a premier suite of solutions. Cision has offices in 24 countries throughout the Americas, EMEA and APAC. For more information about Cision’s award-winning solutions, including its next-gen Cision Communications Cloud®, visit www.cision.com and follow @Cision on Twitter.

SOURCE Cision Ltd.

Related Links

http://www.cision.com

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending