Connect with us

Sports

Canada will not send athletes to Tokyo Olympics and calls for the games to be postponed for 1 year – CNN

Published

on


Both countries’ Olympic committees also are calling for the Games to be postponed until 2021.
“While we recognize the inherent complexities around a postponement, nothing is more important than the health and safety of our athletes and the world community,” the Canadian Olympic Committee and Canadian Paralympic Committee said in a joint statement. “This is not solely about athlete health — it is about public health.”
The Australian Olympic Committee’s executive board met by teleconference Sunday morning and unanimously agreed that an Australian Olympic team could not be assembled given the changing circumstances across the world, the committee said in a statement.
The committee also said “our athletes now need to prioritise their own health and of those around them, and to be able to return to the families.”
“It’s clear the Games can’t be held in July,” said Ian Chesterman, Australian Team Chef de Mission for Tokyo. “Our athletes have been magnificent in their positive attitude to training and preparing, but the stress and uncertainty has been extremely challenging for them.”

IOC says its not canceling the Olympics

The committees’ decisions came hours after International Olympic Committee’s executive board said it is considering postponing — but not canceling — this summer’s Olympic Games in Tokyo because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The IOC board said it is considering several options to deal with the ongoing outbreak, including modifying plans to allow the 2020 Tokyo Games to begin on schedule on July 24 or changing the start date for the Games.
IOC considers postponing Tokyo Games but says it won't cancel them
The IOC executive board ruled out canceling the Games, saying it would “destroy the Olympic dream of 11,000 athletes” and all those who support them, according to a letter to athletes from IOC President Thomas Bach.
The Canadian statement thanked the IOC for saying it would not cancel the games, saying the IOC appreciates the “the importance of accelerating its decision-making regarding a possible postponement.”
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said that a decision to postpone the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics may be needed if the Games cannot be held in a complete form.
Abe made the remark during a parliamentary session Monday after the IOC announced Sunday that the group has decided to step up scenario-planning for the 2020 Tokyo Games in reaction to the coronavirus pandemic.

IOC faces more pressure to postpone games

The IOC has faced increasing pressure to postpone the Games as people across the world have gotten sick and died from Covid-19. Tracks, gyms and public spaces are closed in much of the world and major qualifying events have been canceled.
Japan Olympic Committee member Kaori Yamaguchi broke ranks on Friday, saying the Games should be postponed because some athletes had been unable to train.
The heads of USA Swimming and USA Track and Field both called for the Olympics to be postponed to 2021 over the weekend.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Report: Paul, Young headline HORSE field – TSN

Published

on


The NBA and ESPN’s plan to televise a HORSE competition is nearing completion according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

Among those expected to participate are Oklahoma City Thunder point guard Chris Paul, Atlanta Hawks guard Trae Young and Chicago Bulls guard Zach LaVine. Wojnarowski adds the competition will include a couple of WNBA players and recent NBA alumni.

More to come. 

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Tom Brady opens up about marital problems with Gisele Bundchen – Canoe

Published

on


American football superstar Tom Brady was forced to reevaluate his career priorities after his supermodel wife Gisele Bundchen made it clear she was no longer “satisfied” with their marriage.

The couple, which shares two children, celebrated its 10th wedding anniversary in 2019, but the former New England Patriots quarterback reveals the two hit a rocky patch in the lead up to the relationship milestone, as the Brazilian beauty became frustrated with Brady’s intense focus on football and his other non-sporting endeavours.

During a candid chat with U.S. shockjock Howard Stern on Wednesday, Brady explained, “There was a couple years ago, she didn’t feel I was doing my part for the family (sic).

[embedded content]

“She felt like I would play football all season and she would take care of the house, and then all the sudden when the season would end, that I’d be like, ‘Great, let me get into all my other business activities. Let me get into my football training.’ And she’s sitting there going, ‘Well, when are you going to do things for the house? When are you going to take the kids to school and do that?’ And that was a big part of our marriage. I had to, like, check myself. Because she’s like, ‘I have goals and dreams too.’”

Bundchen, who retired from the fashion runway in 2015, even detailed her unhappiness in a “heartfelt” letter to her husband, which made Brady realize he needed to make a “big transition” to get their marriage back on track, which included attending therapy sessions and skipping off-season organised team activities with the Patriots.

“She wasn’t satisfied with our marriage,” Brady confessed. “So I needed to make a change in that.”

“What worked for us 10 years ago won’t work for us forever,” he added. “We’re growing in different ways.”

The new Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback also opened up about how his life plan to settle down and start a family after his football retirement was turned upside down in 2007, when his ex-girlfriend, actress Bridget Moynahan, learned she was pregnant shortly after they split.

“I didn’t want to have kids or get married until my late 30s, that was the plan,” the athlete, now 42, recalled. “I remember thinking, ‘I don’t want anything to get in the way,’ once my football career kind of got rolling.”

Moynahan gave birth to their son Jack later that year – while Brady was dating his now-wife Bundchen, and the sportsman admits the tricky situation was tough to navigate for all involved.

“That challenged me in a lot of ways,” he said. “It was hard for my wife and for my son’s mum because she didn’t envision that either.”

The trio eventually found a way to co-parent together, and Brady is proud of the person his eldest son is becoming, describing Jack as “the greatest 12 year old you could envision”.

He is also dad to 10-year-old Benjamin and seven-year-old daughter Vivian with Bundchen.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Fan sues Tiger Woods and caddie, claiming push from 2018 Valspar – Golf Channel

Published

on


A Florida man has filed a lawsuit against Tiger Woods and his caddie, claiming he suffered injuries from the caddie pushing him out of the way during the Valspar Championship that Woods played two years ago.

The civil complaint, filed Tuesday in Pinellas County, alleges Brian Borruso tried to take a selfie as Woods approached his tee shot left of the 13th green in the third round at Innisbrook, and that Joe LaCava ”intentionally shoved” Borruso and caused him to stumble and fall into the crowd.

Josh Drechsel, the lawyer representing Borruso, said the lawsuit was filed two years after the tournament to get a better understanding of the injuries, which were described in the suit as ”either permanent or continuing.”

Mark Steinberg, the agent for Woods at Excel Sports Management, did not immediately reply to a text seeking comment. LaCava said he had no comment.

Drechsel, meanwhile, issued a public plea for evidence from fans who might have been at the 13th green that day and witnessed the incident.

One video Dreshsel has shows LaCava approaching the fans with his left arm extended saying, ”You’ve got to back it up.”

Drechsel says he wants to find the fans who could be heard on another video. One says, ”I love Tiger, but I don’t like him,” and another voice is heard saying, ”He just pushed him. He just shoved him right out of there.”

The lawsuit says Borruso went to the hospital to be treated for his injuries.

Woods played the Valspar Championship for the first time in 2018, a key event in his return from back surgeries. Before record crowds, at times standing a dozen rows deep around tee boxes, he came within one putt on the 18th hole of forcing a playoff and finished one shot behind Paul Casey.

Woods was named as a defendant because he employs LaCava, who previously was the longtime caddie for Fred Couples and began working for Woods in the fall of 2011.

Drechsel said he asked the PGA Tour for video from the tournament and said the tour told him it was unable to provide any without a court order.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending