Connect with us

Business

Some CERB recipients say funds not arriving quickly as expected – Global News

Published

on


Some recipients of the federal government’s emergency coronavirus pandemic benefit say funds for September have not yet arrived in their bank accounts.

Several Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) recipients told Global News that they were waiting on payments. Their concerns were echoed by many who have taken to social media in recent days.

Read more:
What we know so far about the CERB to EI transition

Martin Palfenier in Edmonton said that the money has typically been deposited within two or three days of re-applying, but that wasn’t the case this time.

On Wednesday, a CRA representative told him the deposit would be made the following day as there had been a delay in processing applications, he said.

But that hasn’t happened.

Story continues below advertisement

“I woke up with no money in my bank account this morning,” said Palfenier, who said he is immuno-compromised and cannot safely return to work.






1:04
Canada Revenue Agency suspended online services after three cyber-security attacks affected 5,600 users


Canada Revenue Agency suspended online services after three cyber-security attacks affected 5,600 users

He is calling on the agency to provide clarity on when the issue will be resolved, and help those currently in limbo.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

“That payment was my rent. That payment was my food and my medicine. It was also my child’s food, her medicine. My wife included.”

The Canada Revenue Agency told Global News it has made recent changes to ensure CERB applicants are “properly authenticated” before funds are released.

Payments, however, are still being made within CRA’s established standard of three-to-five business days for direct deposit and 10 business days for cheques, the agency said.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more:
What to know (and do) about the CRA breach and shutdown

“We will continue to be there to support Canadians throughout this pandemic,” a spokesperson said in a statement.

The change in procedure comes after the agency acknowledged last month that as many as 5,600 CRA accounts were targeted in so-called “credential stuffing” cyber attacks. CRA temporarily suspended access to individual accounts.

Credential stuffing is a form of cyberattack that relies on databases of stolen login information made available through previous data breaches. The hackers use those credentials to try and gain access to different online services.






3:55
Transitioning off CERB


Transitioning off CERB

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was asked about CERB payment delays during an interview with St. John’s, N.L., radio station VOCM on Thursday.

Story continues below advertisement

“We’re working through some of the challenges,” Trudeau said. “Because there was an extension, there might be a couple (of) little hiccups, but we have said from the beginning we’d be there for Canadians and we will continue to be there for them.”

September is the final month for the CERB program. The federal government announced plans to transition recipients to Employment Insurance (EI) in late July.

Read more:
Coronavirus: Trudeau announces plans for end of CERB, transition to EI

Ottawa has also created a new benefit for people who don’t qualify for EI, such as contract and gig workers. There are also new programs for those who cannot work due to COVID-19 illness or childcare responsibilities.

The last scheduled CERB pay period is set to end on Sept. 26. Launched in early April, the taxable, personal income benefit provides $2,000 every four weeks to eligible applicants who lost work or their jobs due to the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Applicants must re-apply for the benefit every month.

More than 8.6 million Canadians have applied for CERB and more than $71 billion in payments have been distributed as of Aug. 23.

— With files from Eric Beck and Beatrice Britneff, Global News

Story continues below advertisement

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Business

Three Foothills units placed under 'outbreak watch' as Alberta reports 153 new COVID-19 cases – Calgary Herald

Published

on


Article content continued

“A unit can be on watch without having any active patient or staff cases.”

AHS added that patients, families, staff and physicians are all notified when a unit is placed under watch.

The outbreaks at Foothills continued to grow Friday. One more patient tested positive for COVID-19, while five more hospital staff were infected. In total, positive cases in 17 patients and 18 health-care workers have been linked to the outbreaks.

More than a dozen more workers at Foothills have also been instructed to isolate, for a total of 136 staff members currently in quarantine. More than 300 staff have been tested for the novel coronavirus since the start of the outbreaks.

No new deaths at Foothills were reported Friday. Three patients have died due to the outbreaks.

AHS said all patients and almost all health-care workers linked to the outbreaks have been identified, with testing underway.

Though the Foothills outbreak continues to expand, Alberta reported Friday that a much smaller outbreak at another Calgary hospital has been declared over. An outbreak at the Peter Lougheed Centre resulted in infections of three people, all of whom have recovered.

153 new COVID-19 cases

Alberta reported 153 new cases of the coronavirus Friday, bringing the province’s total case count since March to 17,343.

The new cases came from 14,211 tests, about a 1.1 per cent positive rate. There are now 1,497 active COVID-19 cases in Alberta, an increase from Thursday. More than half of those cases (773) are in the AHS Edmonton zone.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Alberta reports more than 100 COVID-19 cases for 16th straight day – CTV Edmonton

Published

on


EDMONTON —
Alberta reported 153 cases of COVID-19 Friday as active infections increased to 1,497.

The province has added more than 100 cases every day since Sept. 9, when it reported 98 new cases.

Fifty-six Albertans are being treated for the coronavirus in hospital, including the 14 patients who are in intensive care.

Alberta did not report new deaths Friday, keeping the total at 261.

The Edmonton zone continues to have more than half of Alberta’s count with 786 confirmed cases, while the Calgary zone has 518.

Alberta has reported 17,343 cases of COVID-19 to date.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Alberta reports 153 new cases of COVID-19, no new deaths – CBC.ca

Published

on


Alberta reported 153 new cases of COVID-19 Friday bringing the number of active cases in the province to 1,497, up 35 from the day before.

A total of 56 people were being treated in Alberta hospitals for the illness, including 14 in intensive care.

No deaths were recorded leaving the number at 261.

Three more outbreaks at schools — Calgary’s Clarence Sansom and Glenmeadows schools and Elsie Yanik Catholic School in Fort McMurray — have been reported, bringing the number of schools with outbreaks to 35.

Outbreaks are declared when a school has two or more cases.

Five schools, with five or more cases, are on a provincial ‘watch’ list. Four of those schools are in Edmonton, with Centre High the most recent addition.

The regional breakdown of active cases was:

  • Edmonton zone: 786 up 13 from the day before.
  • Calgary zone: 518 up 23 from the day before.
  • North zone: 129 down one from the day before.
  • South zone: 41, up one from the day before.
  • Central zone: 16, down three from the day before.
  • Unknown: seven, up two from the day before.

To date 968,031 Albertans have been tested for the coronavirus. So far 15,585 have recovered from the disease.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending