Connect with us

News

Final leg of Huawei CFO extradition hearings set to resume in August

Published

 on

Huawei Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou and her legal team are set to return to court for three more weeks of extradition hearings starting Aug. 3, following a fourth attempt by Meng’s lawyers to introduce new evidence, a Canadian court heard on Wednesday.

Meng, 49, was arrested at Vancouver International Airport on a U.S. warrant for bank fraud in December 2018. She is accused of misleading HSBC about Huawei’s dealings in Iran, causing the bank to break with U.S. sanctions.

Meng maintains she is innocent of the charges and has been fighting her extradition while living under house arrest in Vancouver. For more than two years, her lawyers have pushed to have the case thrown out because of alleged abuses of process that they say violated her rights.

Last month Meng requested a delay in proceedings to allow her legal team to review new documents that could bolster her defense. The request followed a settlement between HSBC and Huawei in a Hong Kong court allowing company records to be released.

Meng’s lawyers told the British Columbia Supreme Court on Wednesday they plan to file their application to introduce new evidence on June 7. The case is expected to wrap on Aug. 20.

 

(Reporting by Sarah Berman in Vancouver; Editing by Marguerita Choy)

Continue Reading

News

Nathaniel Veltman who killed Muslim family members to face terror charges

Published

 on

Nathaniel Veltman who is accused of deliberately running over a Muslim family with his truck, killing four of them, now faces terrorism charges in addition to those for murder, prosecutors said on Monday.

Nathaniel Veltman, 20, was arrested shortly after the June 6 attack in a parking lot in London, Ontario, a short distance from the city’s oldest mosque. He was wearing what appeared to be body armor and a helmet at the time, police said.

Due to a publication ban, details from a hearing in which Veltman appeared by Zoom on Monday from jail cannot be revealed.

However, provincial and federal prosecutors provided their consent to commence terrorism proceedings against him, alleging that the killings of Salman Afzaal, his wife, their daughter and Afzaal’s mother, and attempted killing of the couple’s son constituted terrorist activity, according to a statement from London police.

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland reacted to the new charges afterward, saying: “It is really important for us to name it as an act of terror … and it is important for us identify the terrible threat that white supremacism poses to Canada and to Canadians.”

The members of the Afzaal family were out for an evening walk near their home when they were mowed down. The one survivor of the attack – a nine-year-old boy, remains in a hospital with serious injuries.

It was the worst attack against Canadian Muslims since a man gunned down six members of a Quebec City mosque in 2017.

So far, few details have emerged that would shed light on why police say it was a pre-meditated, hate-motivated crime. Veltman is due in court again on June 21.

(Reporting by Steve SchererEditing by Chizu Nomiyama and Paul Simao)

Continue Reading

News

Trudeau called for concerted G7 approach to China

Published

 on

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau led a Group of Seven discussion of China on Saturday and called on leaders to come up with a unified approach to the challenges posed by the People’s Republic, a source said.

G7 leaders – who together control about $40 trillion in economic clout – reached broad alignment on building a concerted approach to China, the source with knowledge of the discussions told Reuters.

“Trudeau’s message today was that we really need to work to build a consensus on a unified approach to the challenges that China presents all of us,” the source said. “We have to show solidarity as a group and show action as a group as well.”

“There is a general alignment” at the G7 on China, the source said.

 

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; editing by Kate Holton and Michael Holden)

Continue Reading

News

Ukraine’s president thanks G7 nations for support

Published

 on

Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, thanked the G7 group of wealthy industrial nations on Sunday after it voiced support for Kyiv and called on Russia to withdraw troops and weapons from near Ukraine’s eastern border.

Leaders of the United States, Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy and Japan reaffirmed their backing for Ukraine and called on Moscow to stop its destabilising behaviour in a communique issued after a three-day summit in the UK.

“Commend the unwavering support by #G7 states in the Summit’s communiqué,” Zelenskiy wrote in Twitter.

“Grateful to leaders for the continued support for Ukraine’s independence & sovereignty & the call to the aggressor to withdraw troops from Ukraine’s borders & Crimea. #Crimea is Ukraine!”

Kyiv hopes pressure from Western allies could force Moscow to withdraw tens of thousands of its troops deployed in April near Ukraine’s eastern border and in Crimea, which Russia annexed in 2014.

The West expressed concern about the worsening of the situation in the eastern region of Donbass, where Ukrainian troops fought Russian-backed forces in a conflict that Kyiv said had killed 14,000 people since 2014.

 

(Reporting by Natalia Zinets; Editing by Peter Cooney)

Continue Reading

Trending