Public health officials have announced no new cases of COVID-19 in Manitoba Sunday.
Saturday, Manitoba saw four new cases announced by public health officials, which was the highest daily total since May 1, and a sign “we’re not out of the woods” according to epidemiologist Cynthia Carr.
The total number of lab-confirmed positive and probable positive cases in the province stands at 322.
As of Friday, no one was in hospital or intensive care due to the virus, and health officials said there were currently 15 active cases while 300 people have recovered.
The province has had seven deaths from COVID-19 since March.
Carr said it’s a reminder for Manitobans that simply wearing a mask is not a replacement for the health guidelines set in place when COVID-19 first hit the province. She encourages residents to continue to practise good hand hygiene, social distancing and staying home when symptomatic.
“It’s so important that we stay vigilant and stay on top of things and we follow the guidelines and take them seriously,” she said.
COVID-19 questions answered
Carr said in standard epidemiology case numbers below five aren’t normally released due to the amount they vary, but said since we’re used to better news it’s not surprising it caught people off guard.
She said with the six strains of coronavirus, including SARS but particularly MERS, antibodies for the virus disappeared after six months, signifying if you get the virus once, it’s likely you could get it again.
“There has been no lifetime immunity for any of those.”
Carr said if you’ve had COVID-19 in the past you shouldn’t assume that if you’ve had it once you’re in the clear.
She added research is still ongoing and the virus hasn’t been in the community long enough to know more about immunity.
“We have not eliminated this virus, it’s still circulating.”
Coronavirus outbreak: Manitoba health official encourages people to wear non-medical face mask to prevent COVID-19 spread
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
COVID-19 Bulletin #127 – news.gov.mb.ca
Need More Info?
Public information, contact Manitoba Government Inquiry: 1-866-626-4862 or 204-945-3744.
Media requests for general information, contact Communications Services Manitoba: 204-945-3765.
Media requests for ministerial comment, contact Communications and Stakeholder Relations: 204-945-4916.
Stay vigilant, Manitoba: top doc warns of second COVID-19 wave – Winnipeg Free Press
With zero COVID-19 cases reported thus far in July, Manitoba’s top doctor is warning people not to be complacent about the novel coronavirus — and to brace for the fall.
Dr. Brent Roussin says Manitoba could be hit with a second wave of COVID-19 worse than the 325 cases reported so far in the first.
“Manitoba’s numbers remain favourable, but we need to remain vigilant to keep those numbers low,” Roussin said at a news conference Thursday. He reported there are only four active cases in the province, none of which are hospitalized, and 314 people have recovered.
“Manitobans are well-versed in the things that have led to our flattening of the curve: hand hygiene, physical distancing and, most importantly, now as we move forward, is to stay home when we’re ill,” Roussin said. ”This is going to be vital to our success.
“We can’t have people with symptoms of respiratory illness going to work or to school. We need to ensure we’re protecting everyone and staying home when ill.”
Even if there are no active cases in Manitoba, people can’t let their guard down: a lot more COVID-19 cases are expected, he warned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?rel=0&wmode=transparent” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen>
“We need to prepare to see an increase in cases in the fall, higher than even our first wave, possibly,” the chief provincial public health officer said. “We’re going to do whatever we can to not get back into an area where we were in March and April, with large shutdowns.
“We want to learn how to live with this virus.”
That means reducing the risk — especially for those most susceptible to severe outcomes. Health officials are working on a messaging campaign urging residents to get a seasonal flu shot and, if they have symptoms, to get tested for COVID-19 and stay home.
“The early identification of cases is vital so we can do that contact tracing, we can isolate cases,” Roussin said. “We’re going to be getting Manitobans prepared to see increased absenteeism at work and increased absenteeism at school, because we want those people to be at home when they’re ill.”
The province has increased its stockpile of personal protective equipment and has “a much better system of tracking our stores of PPE,” Roussin said.
“Even if we see influenza A activity in November and not COVID, we don’t know that COVID won’t be here in December or January, so we’re going to need to treat this upcoming respiratory (flu) season as a COVID season until proven otherwise.”
Carol Sanders’ reporting on newcomers to Canada has made international headlines, earned national recognition but most importantly it’s shared the local stories of the growing diversity of people calling Manitoba home.
Edmonton zone COVID-19 deaths climb to 20 as Alberta announces 37 more coronavirus cases – Global News
EDITOR’S NOTE: This headline originally said Edmonton has recorded 20 COVID-19 deaths. It has been corrected to say the Edmonton zone has recorded 20 deaths. We regret the error.
Alberta Health announced three additional COVID-19 deaths on Thursday, all linked to a coronavirus outbreak at Edmonton’s Misericordia Hospital.
The deaths brings the total number of COVID-19 fatalities in Alberta to 161 and in the Edmonton zone to 20.
For more information on the outbreak at the hospital in Edmonton, click here.
At the same time, health officials said 37 new COVID-19 cases have been confirmed in the province over the past 24 hours. Currently, there are 584 active cases in Alberta.
The Calgary zone currently has the most actives cases of the disease with 220, and the Edmonton zone is close behind with 215. There are 90 active cases in the South zone, 42 in the North zone, 11 in the Central zone and there are six cases that have not been connected to any particular zone.
Forty-six Albertans are currently in hospital with COVID-19 and seven of those are in intensive care units.
As of Thursday afternoon, 507,169 coronavirus tests had been conducted in Alberta since the pandemic first hit the province in March.
Of Alberta’s total of 8,519 confirmed COVID-19 cases, 7,774 have seen people recover.
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Kamloops real estate market shows some improvement after slow spring – Kamloops This Week
Torstar shares halted on TSX after getting rival takeover offer for newspaper company – CBC.ca
Canada pushes back on U.S. Congress members’ call to reopen border amid coronavirus – Global News
Silver investment demand jumped 12% in 2019 – report – MINING.com
Iran anticipates renewed protests amid social media shutdown
Richmond BBQ spot speaks out about coronavirus rumours Vancouver Is Awesome
- Tech23 hours ago
Ninja has started streaming Fortnite on YouTube
- News19 hours ago
New coronavirus cases, deaths continue to decline in Canada as cases top 106,400
- Sports20 hours ago
Montoyo urges Blue Jays to be among teams pulled together by pandemic
- Sports21 hours ago
MLS returns to action after poignant moment of silence to protest racial injustice
- Tech20 hours ago
Microsoft Teams unleashes a flood of new features for video meetings
- Politics23 hours ago
The semiconductor industry is where politics gets real for Taiwan
- News23 hours ago
Calgary hailstorm that caused $1.2B in damage ranks as Canada’s 4th costliest natural disaster
- Health22 hours ago
Moderna Completes Enrollment of Phase 2 Study of its mRNA Vaccine Against COVID-19 (mRNA-1273)